1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Bleacher Report]How Badly Do Houston Rockets Need an Upgrade at Point Guard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Junkyard Dog, Feb 2, 2015.

1. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Love this... Why not get another Vet that can give us a spark off the bench...

T_Man

1 person likes this.
  2. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

We're better off with beverly unless we get dragic. There's no other way to really put it.

1 person likes this.
  3. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Really good article

1 person likes this.
  4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

dragic isn't going anywhere. the suns have a shot at the playoffs, and at resigning him this summer. no need to trade him.

calderon is a great shooter and good passer, but doesn't score. he's a good fit as a spot up shooter next to harden. he's a good backup PG that can keep the ball movement up, but when harden comes out, there is no one to score.

nelson i can actually see happening. he can knock down the spot up 3. he can score on his own a bit. he can pass. and he'd be cheap. the one guy i'm holding out for is lawson. the nuggets might decide to blow it up, and if so, i think we have the best offer for them.

1 person likes this.
  5. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

He hasn't looked the same since he came back from the hamstring injury the last time. Not quick enough to stay in front of faster guards anymore, it seems. DJ was the most glaring example of this -- though I note he lit Lowry up for 35 just a few games before, so I don't know how much weight I want to put on the Pistons game just yet.

ETA: Put me in the camp who can't see PHX dealing Gogi.

1 person likes this.
  6. carib

carib Member

I would love for Morey to get Dragic but realistically I don't see why they would trade him with a chance to make the playoffs. Lawson and Collison might be our best shot. Not sure if a Jameer Nelson would make this team better but he does have better playmaking skills than Bev and can shoot the 3. I guy like Foye sitting on bench would give us another shooter, not sure about his playmaking skills either. If there are no good deals why not give Canaan or Johnson a run.

1 person likes this.
  7. a711

a711 Member

gogi isn't going to happen

8. Swishh

Swishh Member

How exactly would this solve the problem of needing a second play-maker? It wouldn't.

1 person likes this.
  9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

His defense has been absolutely putrid - and it is not because of his injuries.

He seemingly has flicked a switch in his head and just become a stupid defender.

The constant pressuring WAY past the 3 point line constantly getting blown past - causing a butterfly effect of our defense collapsing, leading to open players on the perimeter as we scramble to make up for the mistake, leading to open shots.

I honestly don't understand why he's doing it - let alone doing it constantly.

1 person likes this.
  10. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

That wouldn't solve anything. We need another playmaker, doesn't matter what position... Most availible playmakers happen to be PGs.

1 person likes this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah there's no way Suns trade Dragic now. They are in the playoff hunt and can believe they can hold off OKC.

1 person likes this.
  12. frontline94

frontline94 Member

for some reason this makes a lot of sense to me. it also allows for pop to enter the rotation more often and it keeps us very diligent defensively... our second unit of bev, terry, pop, jones and smith also has good depth to it

1 person likes this.
  13. Lunik II

Lunik II Member

The question is not which player is best at a particular position, but which player the team

can most afford to loose at any other position. The opportunity costs of depleting our

bench exceeds replacing our starting point guard.

1 person likes this.
  14. Lunik II

Lunik II Member

James harden has an absolute advantage at the point guard position, but has a

comparative advantage as a shooting guard. Less games will be won if he

starts as the point guard for that reason

15. SemisolidSnake

I know we need a better point guard, but for the life of me, I can't envision how our upgraded point guard would play on this team. Our offense is still hugely Harden-based, so he'll need the ball a lot of the time. That's why he just handles it like a point guard now. So, we're looking for someone who gives Harden the ball not too many or too few times.

Presumbly, though, there is a desire to take some of the scoring load off of Harden, so what else do we have? We have a group of big guys who all have different styles of play and different strengths. We have really no idea what our small forward does anymore besides shooting 3s. Presumably we want a point guard that can also shoot threes and drive the basket, because that's how point guards keep the other team on their toes and open up the floor.

So, basically, to me it seems, we need something close to a genius point guard like Chris Paul to sort this all out on the court. Someone who knows better what to do with the offense than the coaches do. Dragic has generally impressed me when I've seen him play. Is he that smart? Even if he is, there's no way the Suns are letting him go; they've been getting steadily better over the past few seasons. Are there any available candidates out there smart enough to control the Rockets? It really doesn't seem like it.

16. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Can Nick Johnson play point guard?

17. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I don't know... Maybe that's the role of the VET... ALA Vinne Johnson or Ricky Pierce...

T_Man

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No, he cannot.

19. Sanity2disChaos

Sounds like you go all in for dragic ...at jones, Capela, Terry, Johnson, pap and picks expense.

1 person likes this.
  20. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

As long as Harden is not bringing the ball up the court each time. That is draining. Save his limited energy for scoring and defense.