1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bleacher Report gives Houston Rockets a B- in Free Agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Aug 2, 2018.

1. rockets13champs

https://bit.ly/2n2ORAy

1. Houston Rockets: B-

This grade was going to be much lower until Houston nailed the Clint Capela signing, retaining a top-10 center (who's still getting better) for five years and $80 million guaranteed.

Capela's finishing at the rim, shot-blocking and ability to switch make him an ideal fit in Houston's schemes. In almost any other year, several teams would have forked over max offer sheets for him. The lack of cap space around the league gave Houston leverage, which it wielded expertly, waiting out the market and keeping Capela on a contract that already feels like a steal.

That move helped offset the losses of Trevor Ariza and Luc Mbah a Moute, two key wings in the Rockets' switch-everything defense. James Ennis is a terrific bargain, but Carmelo Anthony figures to be unplayable against the best postseason foes. Smart offenses will target him relentlessly, short-circuiting a Houston defense that ranked sixth in the league last year.

While Chris Paul's four-year, $160 million contract won't age well, it's defensible in the short term. He's still an elite point guard who's vital to Houston's championship pursuit, and now isn't the time for the Rockets to worry about the roster in 2022.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

media conspiracy

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

still a little surprised that Dunc’d On had our offseason as a D and C-...damn

5. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

Is the off-season over already? Oh yeah no it's not. Suck my sack of balls on the B-

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I don't get this. *Only* GSW can exploit Carmelo vs Ariza. This BBS and the media are assuming since we might be worse against the Warriors, then that means we got worse against everyone. That's so not true.

Forget Regular Season records, in the Playoffs, we have improved matchups against every other Western Conf playoff team from last year...certainly against OKC, because Melo hurt us last year, and this year Melo can guard Roberson, while Roberson has to take Harden.
    • We win the OKC matchup...I foresee a sweep.
    • We improved upon the Utah matchup, because, again, Ingles v Melo is a matchup we exploit much more than they do. I foresee a sweep.
    • MIN ... lulz. Beating them isn't about defense; they can't keep up with our scoring, as their defense sucks. Sweep
    • SAS ... really? We have definitely improved against them with a healthy Kawhi
    • NOLA ... Losing Rondo will hurt. He was a big reason they did so well in the playoffs last year.

Dave2000, Deuce, BigShasta and 6 others like this.
  7. Newlin

Newlin Member

Bleacher Report is going to be EATING CROW when they find out about the BIG 6.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Premature

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Our grade will rise once we trade for Otto Porter Jr

10. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

If we get Otto for Anderson

The rockets are winning the chip and are 10x better than last season.

Kendrick Lamar likes this.
  11. mig0s

mig0s Member

Well we lost Ariza and Luc. Melo didnt sign yet and we still have Ryno. Kinda justified

fattz and Kendrick Lamar like this.
  12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Fair.

13. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Same, they're pretty objective about the situation, but I guess Melo is just that negative to the masses right now.

14. sage281

sage281 Member

We ranked 6th in defense last year with Anderson starting most of the year, but Melo is going to somehow be worse than him on that end of the floor? I don't buy it

clutchdabear likes this.
  15. blackistan

blackistan Member

16. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

So... who are they?

and they wont be saying that after we win this chip this year

17. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Our roster is set in August? Hmmmm

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I've mentioned before that Melo's defensive weakness makes us specifically worse against GS, but he will be useful against everyone else. As cocky as it may sound we were already the favorites against everyone else. If he makes us weaker against GS, the only team that would be favored to beat us, doesn't that make us weaker? They're the only team that matters.

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

I feel u, but we were fluctuating from 14th to 10th in defensive efficiency when we had Ryno starting...we catapulted up to 6th after Tucker was inserted into the starting lineup in place of him

With Melo starting, can we still be as good as 6th? I don’t want to face GS with some 12th ranked defense.

Bengchu and sage281 like this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

I'm waiting for Murray to pull one more rabbit out of his hat.