1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Bleacher Report] 10 Reasons Kevin McHale Has Already Failed as Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by risemeyer, May 21, 2012.

1. risemeyer

risemeyer Member

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

By writing for Bleacher Report, Danny Dukker has already failed as a human being.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That was a terrible read......but the premise is spot on.

DD

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Slideshows are the worst.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

10 reasons why Kevin McHale has already failed as coach, by this random fan... now please proceed to click on 10 different Bleacher Report pages and their ad impressions to read each paragraph of the story.

6. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

Did that guy claim Johnny Flynn as on of the promising young point guards of the lague?

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Clutch,

Can you put your future articles in slideshow format and ask Bimathug to do the same with his salary cap updates?

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The Chronicle should hire this guy.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rockets failed to make the playoffs, failed to go into a direction.
    That is true.

10. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Bleacher report :rolleyes:

11. anchel

anchel Member

Worst read in a long time.

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty bad read, BUT, sadly the article was mostly correct.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Some bad points..... what the heck..... we are above 0.50
    McHale did alright..... C+ or B-, made rookie mistakes
    Morey and the Front Office had their share of responsibility
    Players too

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

That's not a bad idea. Here are 10 other ClutchFans-improving Ideas.

<table class="tborder" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" border="0"><tr><td class="vbmenu_control" style="font-weight:normal">ClutchFans Idea 1 of 11</td><td class="alt2"><span class="smallfont" title="Showing results 1 to 25 of 592"><strong>1</strong></span></td><td class="alt1"><a class="smallfont" href="showthread.php?p=6863536#post6863536" title="Show results 26 to 50 of 592">2</a></td><td class="alt1"><a class="smallfont" href="showthread.php?p=6863536#post6863536" title="Show results 51 to 75 of 592">3</a></td><td class="alt1"><a class="smallfont" href="showthread.php?p=6863536#post6863536" title="Show results">4</a></td><td class="alt1"><a class="smallfont" href="showthread.php?p=6863536#post6863536" title="Show results">5</a></td><td class="alt1"><a class="smallfont" href="showthread.php?p=6863536#post6863536" title="Show results">6</a></td><td class="alt1"><a class="smallfont" href="showthread.php?p=6863536#post6863536" title="Show results">7</a></td><td class="alt1"><a class="smallfont" href="showthread.php?p=6863536#post6863536" title="Show results">8</a></td><td class="alt1"><a class="smallfont" href="showthread.php?p=6863536#post6863536" title="Show results">9</a></td><td class="alt1"><a class="smallfont" href="showthread.php?p=6863536#post6863536" title="Show results">10</a></td><td class="alt1"><a class="smallfont" href="showthread.php?p=6863536#post6863536" title="Show results">11</a></td><td class="alt1"><a rel="next" class="smallfont" href="showthread.php?p=6863536#post6863536" title="Next Page - Results 26 to 50 of 592">&gt;</a></td></tr></table>

2 people like this.
  15. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Johnny Flynn is one of the most promising point guards in the league?!?!?

Don't get me wrong, I'm still not convinced that KM is going to be a great head coach but this guys reasoning is complete garbage.

Fail article fails miserably!!!

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I got to the first slide with something to say and read this:

McHale has done nothing as far as trading except for getting rid of one of the more promising young point guards in the league for Marcus Camby. Other than that move, there has been no trade to improve the weaknesses of the roster or further highlight the strengths.

Stopped reading right there. I don't believe that the guy has a thimble of basketball IQ.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Dumbass starts with "I realize the coach is not the one who does the trading and the dealing of players"...

...so why did you have this as your first point? He probably wasn't the best GM - though he was saddled with a "superstar" best fit as a #2 option that you couldn't count on offensively down the stretch, but, in any case, is the article about GM'ing (Daryl Morey's job) or coaching?

Somewhat fair. To be clear, this only works as a criticism if he gets credit for rallying his team before the end, when there was so much injury. In reality, hard to give him too much credit or too much blame. They had various people in and out of the lineup, were saddled with the talent they had, and ultiamtely failed down the stretch against exactly the other teams they were fighting with for those last spots. In other words, they weren't as good as Denver (6th seed), Dallas (7th seed), Utah (8th seed) or Phoenix (9th seed). Chicken or the egg here? I vote they weren't as good. That's the problem. That's DM's fault, not KM's.

True. Aside from consistently winning, though, not sure what this says. Either your team is consistently winning or consistently losing. They weren't good enough to consistently win. That being the case, while I and many others would have preferred consistent losing (tanking), McHale made them better than that.

Dude just got here last summer and is not the GM. WTF does this have to do with KM, as a coach?

He notes: "In McHale’s case, he is all about the paint on both sides of the ball." and... "The problem is that his roster isn't best suited for defending and attacking the paint."

Their two best players all year were their two PGs? These weren't exactly who you would have said were going to play great. Lowry had his best season. Dragic is a potential near-all star level backup. Meanwhile, Scola underperformed, Patterson underperformed, Hill/Thabeet continued to suck, and Dalembert and Camby were who they always are.

Did this due watch the team, or is he just making stuff up?

This is a favorite of arm-chair coaches. I can't dispute it, because I have no idea... just as the other side has no idea. Short of actual real analysis (i.e. stats) to back this up, it's just throwing it out there. "This guy has no plays". "This guy has the dumbest substitution patterns". these are BBS favorites.

Let's deal with facts. You know, % of possessions that resulted in late shot-clock attempts and fg% in those possessions, number of times he substituted out of a 5-man lineup that had a great +/- to turn to a new lineup that then proceeded to have a bad +/-.... these stats may not be available, but one could at least try to back something up with meaningful anecdotal evidence, no?

Referring to our all-star filled cast, he notes: "He should be able to make this work, but he simply can’t."

Ok, that was tongue in cheek. In fact, I don't think a single player who got meaningful minutes on our team has ever been in a single all-star game? Average talent = average performance

The fact that the team didn't suck horribly to me means McHale outperformed. Nobody thought he'd be Phil Jackson, or even Rick Adelman. But he almost was the later.

The Rockets were average on defense, average rebounding, average on offense, and finished with an average record. It's not clear what was a priority, but it's equally unclear on what wasn't.

Now he tries to use statistics, but fails miserably?

"Kyle Lowry was viewed as a candidate for a breakout season this year, and while his numbers went up, his minutes actually dropped under McHale."

-except before his injury, Lowry was logging a ton of minutes. 42, 39, 43, 43, 35, 44, 33, 39, 38, 47, 44, 41

"Chase Budinger showed promise in his first two seasons, but saw no increase in minutes this season."

- Chase sucked at the beginning of the season. he wasn't much better later on. The constant search for the next great white hope has overhyped Chase. He's a guy who can come off curls occasionally and hit a few shots. He's crap otherwise.

---------------------------------------

I don't see how anyone could grade McHale as any less than a B-. Which is not failing. Clearly room for improvement, but better than expected.

2 people like this.
  18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I couldn't even remember who he was talking about. I read that and though, wtf?, we didn't trade Dragic or Lowry.

19. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Lulz...Flynn is a promising young point guard. He also fails to mention the fact that we had Lowry and Dragic

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Stick to your day job.