1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blazers trade O'Neal for Dale Davis

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by The Cat, Aug 31, 2000.

1. JCBlazersGirl33

Hey Antisonic- I just checked the Blazer board at Hoopsboards.com and you're right- a Laker fan confirmed that Laker management and fans had their sights set on Davis for their new Pf. Looks like they'll have to resign AC. [​IMG]

------------------
    It's an absolute warzone in my house; I live with Rocket fans, Knick fans, and Laker fans.

2. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Man, imagine what they would look like if they traded for a decent center like Mutombo or even (!) Patrick Ewing.

All-Stars at every friggin' position.

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Pressbox/6544" TARGET=_blank>Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! [​IMG]</A>

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited August 31, 2000).]

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

What are the Pacers thinking?! They already have Croshere, Bender, and Harrington up front, what do they need O'Neal for? After trading away their only frontcourt defender, the Miami Heat are going to pound them into the ground this season with Mason/Grant/Mourning. I'd expect some interesting quotes from Reggie Miller over the next few days. Something along the lines of: "...they didn't consult me about this. I resigned here because I felt we would be a contender again, but now it looks like management is looking to the future. Why would you break up a team that went to the Final?..."

As for Portland, I would expect another deal. It's absolutely ridiculous how loaded that team is at every position. One thing to keep in mind however, is the Pippen factor. If for some reason Davis, Wallace, and Kemp are all on the roster, and Dunleavy decides to start a power frontcourt of Davis/Wallace/Sabonis or Davis/Wallace/Kemp, pushing Pippen to the bench, things could get ugly. I also wouldn't rule out Pippen at point guard.

However great their frontcourt of Wallace/Kemp/Pippen/Davis/Sabonis/Schrempf is, they still will get demolished in the backcourt by Francis/Anderson/Mobley/Norris.

------------------
    Mo money, Mo problems...

4. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I have a couple stupid questions :

1) Do you think that they brought Davis in to keep Kemp from, in a fit of rage, eating Damon Stoudamire ? You know, Mighty Mouse's personal bodyguard.

2) What were the Pacers thinking, Giving up an all-star PF for two guys who spend more time on the bench than most coaches ?

On a more serious note, all these moves and the Blazers have yet to bring in a genuine "go-to guy". Looks like the same old result to me, good regular season, but fold when it gets down to crunch time in the playoffs.

------------------
    Who would've thought Don Nelson would pass up Olumide Oyedeji not once, not twice, but thrice?

5. Drofnarc

Drofnarc Member

How wacked is this?! Portland just keeps loading up talent. How many times are they going to get to trade a bench player for somebody else's all-star.

Quitten = no starters exchanged (ok, walt started for us, but not for them).

Kemp = no starters exchanged (Again, Grant will start now, but was not for Portland)

Davis = no starters exchanged (a future starter)

WOW!

Just think at crunch time when they slide Quitten to point.

C - Sabonis/Kemp
    PF - Wallace
    SF - Davis
    SG - Smith
    P - Quitten

If they can figure out who gets the ball, that team is so scary!

--Drof

------------------

6. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

SF - Davis?
    I can't imagine that.

Mango

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum.
    Things happening in the rest of the NBA
    2. Use clear wording for new threads.
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult.
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

That team might be scary, but they're also pretty darn old... could be an injury or two away from rebuilding for the next 10 years.

If they don't win it all this year (and having 3 starting PF's makes them no more of a contender than in the past) then they won't win it for a long while.

Pippen/ Sabonis and Smith are both well past their primes and getting older. Now they just have a bunch of massive contracts to wrestle with over the next few years.

------------------

8. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

...And some of you guys get pissed when Bryce Drew for Grant Hill proposals come up... [​IMG]

------------------
    WE WILL WATCH THEM FALL... Next year :(

9. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

personally i think it was a bad trade for both teams. blaers already have 2 pfs in fact the kemp trade was also a bad move for the blazers. sheed wallace is a great player why the hell do u need 2 all star pfs around him(well i dont think dale quite deserved that all star spot last year but stillif the lakers could acquire davis withoutgiving up shaq/kobe/horry(hes a former rocket c'mon) i would be even more scared of the lakers. and i dont understand the pacers either. theyre still contenders all they needed to do was bring in a scoring threat at the 4 or 5 and they would be contenders instead theyre ONLY focusing on the future, its just me but i dont think you should revamp after making the finals unless ure the bulls lol.

IF the rockets dont make the playoffs.. GO SPURS never thought i would say that

10. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Who thinks Dunleavey is gonna get fired after this season when his team fails to make the finals?

How many times over is Paul Allen a Billionaire, anyways?

Are there any estimates of how much he loses in a year?

------------------
    Who's ya daddy?

11. grummett

grummett Contributing Member