1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blazers offer C Oden qualifying offer ---Worth it to pry away?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by teampunjabi, Jun 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

At $8.8M, and with Roy's near-max deal and retirement-state knees, they can have them. They're going to be crippled under the harsher cap realities paying that much cash to two guys that can't manage 30 games a year.

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

Don't even think about it, why would the Rockets want an oft injured player?

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

WHERE, pray tell, are the Rockets going to find $15M of CAP ROOM within which to sign Oden??? :p

Hell, the Rockets may not even have enough cap room to match the QO to begin with!

(Also, if it was a one-year deal, I think Paul Allen just cuts the check. All you've done then is piss off a future trade partner.)

You're probably right. But keep in mind that the QO is just a one-year offer. Assuming that Oden doesn't get a better deal than Portland is offering (either as the QO or the "real" offer) and just accepts the QO, the REAL decision on Oden will be made in 2012, when he'll be an unrestricted free agent. By then, the new CBA could be much more restrictive on player salaries and player movement. In the end, I'm not so sure that his next deal is all that monstrous.

4. k-money

k-money Member

NOOOOOOO!!!!!

5. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

He doesnt wanna play here.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Please, no more cheerleaders!!!

7. BIGHchamp

BIGHchamp Member

ODEN??? Are you kidding me..I wouldn't even pick this guy up for my fantasy team, let alone offer him 8+mil..c'mon man get off the gas

8. colts_1994

colts_1994 Member

The kid is only 23, he could and probably will still live up to his potetial

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'd put your odds on receiving a high reward at less than 50%. All money equal, I would take Oden, despite the fact that he has only played 82 games out of his 4 seasons, not to mention being injured at Ohio St. I think Yao is done. If I was Yao, I'd go ahead and sit this year out as a FA, and then try to make a last ditch effort next season (of course a lockout could force this action regardless).

10. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Absolutely! We could always use an upgrade in the medical staff.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

So what if he's 23? LOL does Oden's age really factor when he's had a major injury every year since he got drafted? Maybe if all his injuries were due to freak accidents then you would have a point, but in his latest injury he went up for a reb, landed cleanly and somehow his knee broke in 2. That's structural damage already, his lower body is just to brittle for a high contact sport like the NBA, kinda' like what happened when Livingston tore his all his Cls (ACL, MCL etc) just by dribbling on the court.

I have more confidence in Yao Ming coming back then in Oden becoming healthy.

12. Asian Sensation

Agree for the most part but lets look at the odds in further detail.

Thabeet= 0.000000000001 chance of reward
    Yao= 25% chance of reward
    Oden= 40% chance of reward

We have an 8 million dollar option on Thabeet and he's a bonafide scrub/bust that doesn't even play and has shown ZERO potential. There's no reason he should be on our roster or any other teams for that matter.

Yao will be 31 by the time next year starts. We all know he can produce if he's on the court but I'm not holding my breath.

I live in Portland so I've followed Oden's career very closely before he even got drafted. The thing we have to realize is that Oden's injuries are freak accidents for the most part.

History of Oden's injuries
    -September 13th, 2007, during preseason before his rookie season, he underwent microfracture surgery to repair his right knee. Missed entire 2007-2008 season.

-Oden returned from microfracture surgery only to have Andrew Bynum land on his foot on October 28th, 2008, injuring it . He would miss only two weeks, though.

-February 13th, 2009, he bumped knees with Corey Maggette and chipped his left patella. It was the first injury sustained to his left knee and he missed three weeks due to it.

He recovered from that and 2009-2010 was set to be his year. He was looking very much like finally the player he was supposed to be. Then on December 5th, 2009, he landed without contact on his left leg, and badly fractured his left patella . His recovery was projected to take him right up until training camp of 2010. After missing training camp, preseason, and the start of the regular season, and after saying he wouldn't return until he was 100% healthy but that he could still be an impact player and that he was not a bust, it was announced on November 17th, 2010 that Oden would undergo microfracture surgery on his left knee and would miss the entire 2010-2011 season

Aside from his original microfracture surgery all of his injuries were via contact with another player or freak accident landing awkwardly. He's had a lot of time off to recover and more importantly he's only 23 (yes, I know he looks much older). Sure he may be prone to injuries and heck he might even have lingering effects but at $8 million you can't not take the gamble.

Before his last injury he was dominating the paint on both ends of the court. On defense he was holding down the paint by altering & blocking shots, grabbing rebounds and playing good man/help defense.

On Offense he was grabbing offensive boards for easy put backs, catching alley-oops, getting dominant position by getting deep into the post and he even showed a bit of a post game with his back behind the hoop and the Blazers were starting to go to him in the post and I remember it hampered Roy's game (he was healthy at the time) and they didn't mesh very well and Roy started to complain.

23 years old, 7 feet tall, athletic, most importantly though.... he showed signs of being dominant on both ends of the court and he wants to prove to the world that he's not a bust and wants to do well. That's worth a qualifying offer and then some even with his injury history IMO.

13. carib

carib Member

I agree there is strong chance he may injure himself again. Maybe for alot less money I would like for the Rockets to take that risk. If Yao gets healthy Oden won't get playing time, I am glad I am not in Morey shoes right now because he has some tough decisions to make. Personally I would not try to better Portlands offer.

14. Rox2010Champ

Rox2010Champ Member

fixed

15. NMS is the Best

When it comes to Greg Oden, the Rockets should think long and hard.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

But at least he played. Oden cant play and you get zero, nothing, nada for your 8+ million investment.

17. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

If we get yao and oden on the same time Im starting a custom crutches business for giants

18. jogo

jogo Member

So make a 2 year $10 mill/per offer. That's about as much as you'd spend on Dalembert, and Oden has the chance to be a top C in the league (I know, if he's healthy). If he gets injured and bombs out then we use a low cost backup C and play our young players and try to develop talent (maybe actually DRAFT a C next year with our good draft pick). If he's healthy then he's MUCH better than any of our other C options and likely gets us to the playoffs.

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Especially when they already have that with Yao. Plus: Am I the only guy here who finds it wrong to go after a big man who has had microfracture surgery on BOTH knees?

20. teampunjabi

teampunjabi Member

Exactly...take a chance with Oden...if he pans out then we are genius. If he doesn't then we suck this year get a good lottery pick for next year and develop our young talent and make a run at D. Howard / CP3 and/or draft a Center with our nice pick (or use these picks to trade for a superstar). Dalembert is more of a sure thing but he has nowhere near the upside and I dont think hes the Center we have if we are going all the way. Go big or go home.