1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the EAST FINALS Game 2 as Tatum and the Celtics host Haliburton and the Pacers. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Blazers]Luke Jackson in, Koponen out? Opportunity for Rockets?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hooroo, Aug 21, 2008.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

Jackson's technically a 4 year vet, with a career total of only 73 games, of mostly garbage minutes. Possibly a direct replacement for James Jones. They're both shooters. McMillan did request a vet acquisition as the team's main off-season priority. I don't think Jackson's the player McMillan had in mind.
    If Petteri Koponen (30th pick, 2007) is a player the Rockets have interest in. An opportunity to replace the 2009 first round draft pick they traded away may have just cropped up.

2009 Draft Picks:
    Traded away Rockets 1st round pick to Kings (Artest trade)
    Traded away Rockets round pick to Spurs (Scola trade)
    Hold Grizzlies 2nd round pick (Greene trade)

Trade Assets:

*Luther Head
    -If he can be re-signed for $2-3M. What does it say about his progress? Is he even worth re-signing?, if that's the case.
    -Cannot use MLE for sign & trade
    -On the flipside, if he improves. Kapono and Carroll, shooters that got full MLE deals.
    -Let him go to protect cap space for 2010? (LeBron, Wade, Nowitzki, etc...)

*Memphis's Second Round Pick

Teams with trade exceptions large enough to take on Head's salary:
    CHI, DEN, IND, MIL, OKC, and ORL.

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/muutlajit2008/uutiset.shtml/arkistot/muutlajit/2008/08/684771
    -Koponen says he will wait until the very last minute (October) for a NBA offer.
    -Teams interested in signing Koponen. TAU recently lost Goran Dragic to the Suns.

2. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Not worth giving up any of our trade assets - let him go to Europe and get Vspan money and feel good about himself.

3. Asian Sensation

Nice pickup by Portland on Jackson since hes a local Oregonian. He had an amazing college career and I thought he would've been a good rotation player had he not been so injury prone. He was a lottery pick right after Iguodala and rightfully so. I hope he can make the team and contribute.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Koponen was very good the first couple of games in Vegas and then he tailed off. I don't think he will ever make an NBA team as more than a 10-12th man. The hot start raised his stock but the last couple of games were probably more indicative of his ability.

5. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

hooroo, I gotta give you credit, man. You're really pimping Koponen HARD. This is like the 10th thread I've seen you promoting the Rockets getting this kid.

That being said, I like him as well. He's a tall PG who can also shoot. Unfortunately, he's just not ready for regular season NBA ball. He has never played at any level above the Finnish League. I know that he dominated there, but the NBA is a HUGE step up from there.

I'm guessing that the Blazers do not want to trade Koponen, even if it means that he signs a long-term deal in Europe. Given Petteri's strong desire to play in the NBA, Portland may just let him develop overseas and then hope to sign him later when he is more NBA-ready. At that point, he'll have to take a substantial pay cut down to the 30th pick salary slot from 2007, but he'll have to take that if he wants to play in the NBA.

Also, as for Luke Jackson, I have read multiple reports that he is actually playing pretty good basketball. Several writers have stated that Jackson's promising career (remember, he was once the 10th overall pick in the draft) was derailed by injuries, not inability. Apparently, he has gotten over those injuries, has found his (very good) jumpshot and is ready to contribute as a quality shooter off the bench. As hooroo points out, he's a decent and low-cost replacement for James Jones.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would trade for him, give them Luther and one of our high 2nd round picks.....

It can not hurt to have a good young PG on the roster.......take a chance, take a chance....

DD

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

We have a good young point guard on the roster. Can we at least give Brooks a shot before we replace him?

A didn't see that much in Koponen to be impressed with, in all honesty. Let him get his payday in Europe. :)

9. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Honestly, I think the 2009 Memphis second rounder is a more valuable asset than Petteri Kopenen. No need to use that pick unless it's in a package for a legit rotation player.

Take a chance? Take a chance? DD, what are you? A member of ABBA?

:D

10. DaDakota

But with Koponnen we have two chances for one of them to develop, either Brooks or him, or maybe.....be still my heart...both.

Take a chance, take a chance.....

DD

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

Not a replacement, a project.

That would also translate into more salary. The idea is to stockpile rookie scale talent for 2010. Talent that would be ready to play by then.

12. BimaThug

Supporting Member

The Rockets might want to trade for a quality veteran in the last year of his contract. In order to sweeten the pot enough for the player's team to trade him, the Rockets may need to use that Memphis second rounder.

This approach could provide both another legit rotation player for a playoff run AND roster flexibility in the offseason.

13. Hayesfan

But then who do you get rid of to keep him. Luther, as much as we dislike his performance against the Jazz in the playoffs, still has a role on this team. Not as much of one now that Barry is here. But should Tmac go down, we will need Luther again.

Unless Francis comes back strong and you can play he and Barry together for a lot of minutes.

I just can't see who we could lose. I guess maybe Mike Harris, but that would seriously bum me out.

I understand the concept of project players, but I wish that we had a minor league system where we could groom them to move to the big leagues. It's just a painful concept to have them taking up a roster space and not getting pt.

14. DaDakota

What about Chuck Hayes? He has some value...and we are deep at the PF spot now with Dorsey, Landry and Scola.

;)

DD

15. Hayesfan

You are so mean. :p

16. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

did you do debate in hs?

17. Hayesfan

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-33-213/Petteri-Koponen-Signs-with-Virtus-Bologna.html

Sorry hooroo

18. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

Good deal for Koponen. He is not ready yet and would just ride the pine in any NBA team. The main thing here are the reportedly affordable buyout clauses. Given the strong euro, the salary is about same he would have received in Portland.

I still think he has the tools to become an rotation player for a good team. Great size, good vision, good mechanics and very high release point in his jump shot are his strenghts. He needs more strenghth, a better vertical and has to do better job at finishing at the rim but his overall athleticism is good.

I really haven't seen Boykins play too much, but what I remember he was more of a scorer than a point so I could see Bologna playing Koponen at the point in offense and guarding 2's on defense alongside Boykins who would concentrate on scoring.

It would have been nice for us in Finland to have a NBA player again though. The media doesn't really follow any basketball here at all and televised games are rare and the overall popularity of the game is decreasing.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

For a guy in his position to wait it out. I kind of figured they were trying to go in that direction.
    Now I'm even more curious to know if the Rockets were one of the interested teams? Making a trade involving Head might have been too difficult. Portland would have had to salary dump Diogu to a team with an existing TE in order to use that TE for Head. On top of that they likely wanted back the $3M cash they spent attaining Koponen's pick in the first place.

20. McGradyz1

McGradyz1 Member

Well to late for him to be in the NBA anymore he just signed a 4 year contract with the same Italian team that Earl Boykins signed with.

link