1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blazers looking into the option of asking Roy to retire.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by T-Slack, May 27, 2011.

1. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

The $68 million question is apparently about to get a new answer. Which is only to say that the Trail Blazers Inc. brain trust wants to float a new notion for Brandon Roy.

It's this: Retirement, old pal?

I hope they duck when they ask him.

A source familiar with the situation said Thursday that Portland figures it must deal with Roy's future if it's truly going to rejoin the league's contenders. Retirement for Roy is among the options they're considering.

The Blazers know they hold the distinction of being the only team in the Western Conference that hasn't won a first-round playoff series in the past 10 years. So they're eager and acting with urgency.

There are only three viable options when it comes to Roy's future: A) figure out where he fits and play him; B) set him free with the Amnesty Clause; or C) lure him into retirement.

They see three options.

I see only one.

Roy told me on the day of his season exit interview that he'd spend the summer healing, getting stronger and resting his knees. He wondered what coming back healthier would mean. Also, he planned to do platelet-rich plasma therapy again this summer, hoping it would help his knees.

It's worth giving the guy the offseason, and potentially a lockout, to see how his body responds. Sorry, but I can't forget the 18 points he scored in the fourth quarter of Game 4 during the Mavericks playoff series. They weren't accidental, and so blowing him up with the Amnesty Clause, or asking him to retire don't feel like wise decisions.

The league's Amnesty Clause would set Roy free, as the organization once did with Derek Anderson. The Blazers would still pay Roy what they owe him over the next four seasons, but they wouldn't pay luxury tax on his salary. It could potentially save owner Paul Allen millions, but wouldn't necessarily result in salary-cap room unless a new collective bargaining agreement stipulated such.

Retirement sounds lovely. I don't blame the Blazers for wondering about sending Roy to Boca Raton, Fla. (I'm thinking Darius Miles probably has a place there from when Portland attempted to send him there three years ago.) But it feels like a pipe dream.

If Roy voluntarily retires, he forgoes his salary and can't return to the NBA for one season. I don't see that happening. But if the three-time All-Star were forced to retire for medical reasons (a league-appointed physician would have to rule Roy is medically unfit), there's an interesting loophole. With Roy medically retired, the Blazers could potentially get salary-cap relief after a one-year waiting period.

I asked Rich Cho what they planned to do with Roy just 48 hours before the general manager was fired by Allen. He didn't answer, but he laughed nervously. I could feel him shaking his head at the mistake that the Vulcans made in negotiating a contract that had no insurance and no clauses for the possibility of injury despite Roy's chronic knee issues.

You can't reasonably predict what the Blazers will do. There's a fracture between the smart, hard-working people who run the day-to-day operations at One Center Court and the wild-eyed schemers who call the shots from the circle around Allen.

Me?

I don't for a second believe that Roy will retire. I don't think he believes he's done, nor would any physician who examined him. Again, Game 4. Period. End of discussion. But I do believe that Roy's pride is the true wildcard.

I still believe Roy can play at a high enough level to make keeping him worthwhile. I believe developing a new role for him is not only the best option, but also the only option. He'd be overpaid in each of the next four seasons, but at the very least they'd get something in return.

But I don't think the Blazers view Roy as part of the plan, and given that they're married to him, they seem intent on trying to do something dramatic. And maybe, foolish.

Roy won't want to be in Portland if he's not wanted. He could barely stomach the idea of seeing Patty Mills and Rudy Fernandez coming off the bench before him in Game 2 against Dallas. So, I'm thinking that if the Blazers really do want out they're going to have to tell Roy they don't want him around anymore.

We're probably talking buyout now, not retirement. Roy would get a lump sum and the freedom to seek a new team, if he could find another soul willing to believe in him. Since Roy has four years remaining on his contract, any buyout amount would be divided by four and that number would count against the Blazers' salary cap moving forward.

Have the Blazers turned gamblers? Are they really willing to give up on Roy while he's promising to come back even better? Could they really justify buying him out given Roy's output in Games 3 and 4 played the biggest role in saving Portland from a first-round sweep by the Mavericks?

Answer those questions. Then, tell me how insulting the guy with the idea of retirement or a buyout helps this franchise move forward. Because the worst case here is to devalue Roy, and insult him to his face, then have him show up in camp, where you ask him to help you win games.

Then again, this is Portland -- on a decade-long streak without a playoff series win.

Maybe that really is the plan.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/or...f/2011/05/canzano_asking_blazers_brandon.html

2. qetwr111

qetwr111 Member

A lot of hearsay there.

BTW: http://portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=130654755081962400

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Should've had Cho ask him to retire.:p

And Rick Adelman as GM?! Interesting.

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Portland front office already got themselves plenty negative press trying to save themselves some dollars on the Darius Miles injury situation.

Their general manager position is looking to be a revolving door.

They're looking to resign Greg Oden to big money.

At the same time they're now regretting signing Roy to big money. Which means even though Roy showed why gambling on a player with a bad injury history is a questionable move, they're probably going to do it again with Greg Oden anyway.

Its their right to be diligent in any way to help themselves. But its still their own fault for making those bad signings. Now they want "amnesty".

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

People complaining about the Rockets People relationship skills need to see what ****ed up really looks like.

1 person likes this.
  6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

[rquoter]“I would be more than happy to work with them,” he says. “I’m looking to do something different, with not quite the stress the coaching aspect has. I have an affinity for Portland. Any way I could be involved, I would.”[/rquoter]

It doesn't sound like Adelman was too enthusiastic about getting a new contract from the Rockets. Maybe it really was as the Rockets put it -- a mutual decision to part ways.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If they amnasty roy we shoud sign has ass.

8. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Are you kidding me if we learned to cut ties with Yao 2-3 years ago, we could have rebuilt by now.

9. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

They probably fired him because he refused to do something as ludicrous as ask a player to retire in the middle of the most lucrative contract they will ever receive during the course of their life.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Would be funny if the Suns signed him and he went back to being Old Roy.

11. Chris Jent MVP

i never saw any reason why it wouldn't be true to begin with. some people are reading too much into letting adelman go and hiring mchale. i don't see what all the butthurt is about. adelman wants/needs certain things, the rockets want/need certain things, and it turns out that these things are not the same between the two. adelmans and rockets interest no longer align and that's that. move along, folks.

12. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

This is messed up, I feel bad for Roy.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I truly feel sorry for Roy. Dude is just plain unlucky. Of course, I've also heard stories of him being a huge *******; so I dunno if I feel as sorry anymore...

14. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

i think rick deserves the GM position. he helped the blazers reach the finals twice back in the day. maybe he can get them a championship in the future as a GM.

15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Before getting rid of Roy, they need to get rid of Andre Miller. He the only NBA starter in history with a worse postseason series record as bad as T-Mac's. Get rid of him and the curse will be lifted.

I know Roy has his pride. I know Roy thinks he can come back, and sure maybe he can eek out 1 more great year or 2-3 okay years out of his knees (even though I highly, highly doubt he can play in even 3/4 of a season's 82 games again with those knees).

However, he still has 40-45 years to live after the NBA. Whatever stress he forces himself through to stick around for these few years will dramatically worsen his future quality of life.

16. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Didn't Roy have a monster game just this past postseason? (like literally, one month ago).

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

[​IMG]

18. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

SO sad to see such talent go to waste. Roy was an amazing player and a really good one currently in his condition. Seriously, Roy was even mentioned about being the future of USA olympic basketball.

19. blackistan

blackistan Member

huh I don't get it regardless roy wont do it and I feel bad for the dude

20. delishman

delishman Member

Roy is donezo... gotta explore all options.. wouldnt explore pulling the trigger on this one.

Rick is a great coach. I think he'd be a solid GM until they can find a Kevin Prichtard type or even a Cho.. ;)

You think Morey and R.A. the GM would play ball?