1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Blasphemy] Brooks/Lowry or Smith/Cassell?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DallasThomas, Oct 19, 2010.

?

Which combo would you take now or then?

1. Brooks & Lowry

35.9%
  2. Smith & Cassell

64.1%
  1. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Honestly, take a step back and think about it.

Separate yourself from the past and present. Don't get caught up in fond memories or blinded by current hype.

I genuinely think it's a pretty close call. Would Olajuwon have fared better or worse with our current PG rotation alongside him? Would Yao and Martin be better off if they could have the 1s from 15 years ago?

I would at least expect a lot less of a gap than there was in this discussion:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=156821

2. Prince

Prince Member

you're giving DD a dilemma.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It may be too simplified, but to me I'll go with Kenny/Sam until the current duo wins a ring.. in THAT case, when they have shown that they can make it all the way, I just might go with the current two.

4. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

I would take Brooks and Lowry over Kenny and Cassell.

I always thought Kenny was a pretty average NBA player, and he spent most of his time setting up the offense with his back to the hoop. He had a tough time breaking pressure, and he didn't really bring a special skill to the table.

Cassell probably had the best career. He was effective as a backup and made things happen off the bench, but his career didn't really take off until he left Houston.

Ranking the guards simply on their Rockets tenure, I would say it goes:

1. Brooks - matchup nightmare and capable of scoring in bunches, but not a true point guard
    2. Cassell - playmaker off the bench, and made huge shots when the pressure was on.
    3. Lowry - has the ability to push the ball in the open court, penetrate in the half court, and wreak havoc defensively. But, a liability from the perimeter.
    4. Kenny - capable starting point guard, decent shooter, but really just an average player.

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Kenny/Sam...Kenny could have averaged 20 ppg if needed and Sam was ideal as his backup/closer. Neither played much defense but Sam was pesky and could finish with the best of them.

Edit - I think we are going to have the same issues as we had with the OT/Scola thread, the younger generation voted for today's guy while the older crowd went for OT.

6. DallasThomas

One thing to take from this:

If it's pretty close in your mind, doesn't that mean the Rockets currently have a championship-caliber point guard position?

7. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Having a Hall of Famer center on your team certainly undermines that notion.

8. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Id take Brooks and Cassell. I think those two would compliment each other pretty well.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Who starts?

10. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Thats a good question?

11. DallasThomas

Hey now, I'm just talking about the one position. If A + B + X + Y + Smith/Cassell = A + B + X + Y + Brooks/Lowry, and the former equaled a championship...it's not a stretch to say that a team of Brooks & Lowry with equivalent teammates could win a title.

I know Olajuwon is one hell of a variable, but that's all I'm saying ;)

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Kenny is part of a pairing. No question, Browery!

13. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

I was a big fan during the championship years and enjoyed the game of Cassell. Didnt really like Smiths game apart from his clutch shots.

I voted for Brooks/Lowry because I think if they were on the team in those years they would have been more effective and the team would have been stronger.

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

There is that Hakeem guy....

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

morey would love kenny's efficiency

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Do you think Brooks/Lowry's better than Fisher/Farmer?

17. shoodomoney

shoodomoney Member

Complimenting each other:
    Cassell: Wow, you're really quick.
    Brooks: Thanks, Sam! I like your bald look.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Give me Lowry and Brooks, Kenny is almost 50 years old and Cassel almost 40.

DD

19. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I think that the difference in the rules of the game between the two eras has to come into account to. Hand checking was allowed back when kenny/sam played. That would totally negate the speed and quickness that brooks/lowery have. Inversely, the man defense played and iso offense allowed back in the day could could be advantages to brooks/lowery. Too many variables!!!

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Come on, DD, you're ignoring the implied rules. Championship years Smith/Cassell versus today's Brooks/Lowry. It's easy for me. I'm going with the duo that won two championships. I don't think durvasa's question about who starts should fly. We know who started those two seasons, just as we know who's going to start against the Lakers this season.