1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blake Griffin is Really Good

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dharocks, Feb 6, 2014.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

43/15/6 last night in a great game against Miami. Averaging 27.0/8.2/4.5 with just 2.5 tov and 54.4% shooting since Paul went down, and the Clippers have gone 11-6 since Paul went down. His FT% is up to an acceptable level, around 70%. His boards are down this year, but a lot of that can be attributed to DJ absolutely beasting on the glass.

Lowe had a great article a few days back de-bunking some of the myths re: Blake's allegedly one-dimensional game. I recommend reading the entire article, but here are some relevant excerpts:

Re: "ALL HE CAN DO IS DUNK"

"BUT HE'S GOT NO POST GAME"

"OKAY, BUT HE'S STILL NO ZBO ON THE LOW BLOCK"

"WHATEVER, HE'S USELESS AT THE END OF GAMES"

"YEAH, WELL DEFENSE IS HALF OF THE GAME AND BLAKE SUCKS AT IT"

I highly recommend reading the entire article, especially the part where Lowe breaks down the specifics of Blake's moves in the low-post. It's a great read.

Now look, like every other young player (and keep in mind, Blake's still a month away from his 25th birthday), Griffin has flaws. But he's one of the very best players in the game on a very good team in a very good conference. Now I don't typically watch SportsCenter or ESPN, so maybe that's why I've never really understood the backlash against the guy and his apparent overexposure (and fwiw, I think his commercials are generally pretty funny). But for the most part, Blake seems like a decent enough dude, a guy who's pretty intelligent and funny (particularly by NBA standards), and he's a really fun player to watch. People harp on the flopping on offense, but Harden's an equally egregious offender in that regard.

I don't get the hate.

2. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

its the kia commercials..

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

He's a legit player. Playing w/o Paul has allowed him to shut up the naysayers.

4. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Inb4 clippy

5. Play07

Play07 Member

if he works with dream this summer he will be an allstar starter, OH wait hes already that, well he will be even better. His post up and midrange shot is starting to be money.

6. johnnytsunami

johnnytsunami Member

Both Blake and Dwight are shutting up the TNT Crew.

7. Mr. Space City

now he doesn't have cp3's ball hoggin ass turning him into a glorified tyson chandler. now he can show his full offensive repertoire

8. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

he isnt a good post player

he puts his head down and charges into the defender it just doesnt get called.

he has improved his jumper ill give him that

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

He is good but not to make this a comparison thread but Davis will be better.

The best PF's the next few years will be Davis, Blake and Love. LMA on the outside looking in.

10. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

CP3 is overrated.

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Read the article. I'd bet anything that Zach Lowe has watched more Clippers game than you have this year.

12. Scolandry

Scolandry Member

It's not that he's not a good player, the flopping is just a piss-off especially considering how damn strong he is.

13. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

He's also a outstanding passer for a big man.

14. VBG

VBG Member

People really confuse aesthetics with effectiveness. Neither Blake nor Dwight look that smooth in the post (Dwight's better this year). But they have both been insanely effective.

15. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

34 shots for 43 points....... Vury guud

16. SacTown

SacTown Member

I agree with OP. So many clutchfans have tried to dismiss Griffin, like they did Bosh and they are wrong in both cases.

17. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

Lebron is just as big a flopper and just as strong, and he doesn't get as much hate for it as Blake does.

18. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I've been pretty skeptical on him the past few years. But recently, he is really coming into his own. He still needs to improve in his fluidity and while effective, his post moves are still awkward and ugly but putting up those numbers while winning games without your best player is really respectable.

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Blake has improved his post game.

Anyone who denies this has not been watching him play.

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I only wish Dwight gets the calls that Blake gets down low.

Watching both of them play, the difference is night and day. Both players tend to out-power their opponent, but only one gets calls.