1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blackberry previous owners

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by the shark, Oct 10, 2013.

1. the shark

the shark Member

Have been a Blackberry user for yrs, and it's time to move on to something new (yes I know I should have moved on a long time ago).

Have narrowed my decision to an iPhone or the Samsung. I know there are a ton of other phones out there, but I would like to get some feedback from people who were also Blackberry users ONLY who switched to one of these two phones to get their opinions on the differences? Pros and cons of each of these two phones in comparison to your experience with the Blackberry?

I use it mainly for business (emails, data base, notes, calendar, etc).

And yes I know there's another thread about phones.

So previous Blackberry owners would love to hear your thoughts?

Thanks.

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Get a Samsung Galaxy unless it loses the coin toss. Our team has to text and log-in remotely for a lot of on-call weekend work and there are no issues with either I-phones or Samsungs.

3. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

I have the Galaxy for almost a year now. I actually missed my blackberry. I email a lot and there is no substitute for a physical keyboard, IMHO. My fellow colleagues however beg to differ. Never owned an iPhone, so can't do the comparison. A couple of my colleagues have one and they hated them.

[Vent]

I have a lot of Notes stored in my Outlook, I can not access them using the native apps Android has to offer. There are a couple of free apps that is suppose to allow me to access them, but I could never configure it correctly to work. So I gave up.

I don't know if this is a corporate decision (which I suspect) or if this is a true restriction. I was told that my Android phone MUST use lock screen when email is using Exchange and it will not allow pattern to be used for unlocking. It is a pain in the @ss to have to always unlock.

The battery doesn't last all day for me. I suspect it is mainly because I receive email every other minute. I have it off my charger 5am and it will be almost dead by 4pm.

[/Vent]

I don't try to find all the intricacy in using an Android phone, so it is very likely a failure on my part.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I was a stalwart Blackberry user up until about 6 months ago. I had major issues/fears of being able to type on an actual screen instead of the QWERTY. I still haven't fully mastered the texting on screen bit, but I'm getting better. I send around 10k text messages per month.

In the end I went with a Windows 8 Smartphone. So didn't really answer your question about those two phones listed, but life does get better after Blackberry.

5. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

That's a security policy set in place on the Exchange server by your company.

6. Scionxa

What carrier are you on? That would help determine the best available options for you.

7. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

You'll love everything except the battery. Will be a huge step down...

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I had the Blackberry Bold at some point several years ago. I switched to the Galaxy right after, starting with the GS1. I have the GS3 now and will probably get the Note 3 here soon. I've owned the GS2 and Infuse in between. You cant go wrong with Samsung but I recommend trying the HTC One.

With all of that said, if you're looking for something to handle email, notes, databases, etc... I think the Note might be best.

But keep this in mind, I've never seen a Samsung device come close to Blackberry in terms of reliability, durability and accessibility. You will never type as fast on a Samsung phone as you could on the Blackberry. Email will work fine but never be as smooth and reliable as Blackberry. Navigating will never be as organic, there's a learning curve. Android is a media-intensive OS, it is not optimized for a professional environment and you'll notice it right away.

I'm handy with tech, I get by just fine using my Android for work and play, but for some, the learning curve is too steep.

On a side note, we handed out a ton of Windows phones here at work to former Blackberry users... didn't go well. Don't even consider Windows.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm a fan of my Windows phone. I use my phone only for professional needs really, very few personal apps or games.

10. Scionxa

Agreed, my WP8 is my enterprise device that I use. It syncs Outlook perfectly (tasks, notes, exchange accounts, delegate access) & having an office suite is really nice.

It even supports Lync if your company uses that as their IM client.

11. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Android also supports Lync pretty well.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

I miss QWERTY keyboards when I'm on my Android phone. Typing is so slow and I keep making errors, it's as if my fingers are too fat.

That's pretty much my only gripe with Androids. I stayed away from push email with my BB because I like to keep my work away from my cell as much as possible. Also I've only looked up teh pr0nz on my blackberry, so that's a fond memory I'll forever hold dear.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I liked my old android (Samsung) so much I kept it for a long time while everyone else was replacing.

I definitely prefer my WP8. I like the keyboard better, although I do miss swype. The suggestion system it uses is so much better than what I've experienced on Android and Apple. Much more intuitive and easier to select a word, correct a word or just skip their suggestion without doing anything.

The only issue I have on my Nokia is that my subfolders in Outlook don't alert me if there is mail, I have to manually check them.

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Blackberry to Samsung user...loved the switch, and you will as well...

Really either the iphone or droids have great selections. Its all bout ur personal comfort level with the phones. Go to the store and decide what you like and what feels more comfortable in your hands.