1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Black Monday

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Dec 28, 2014.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That would be very surprising.... not sure what he has done to earn it other than having the same last name as his dad.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kyle living off daddy's name and dad living off what he did in the early-mid 2000's with Denver. :grin:

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Hearing Mike Holmgren is interested in returning to the Niners (previously an assistant there). The Niners opening has to be attractive... last season was a perfect storm of bad (injuries, suspensions, coaching distraction). New stadium, great history... has to be an attractive destination.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

For all the guys who were just fired, I really can only see Rex as maybe landing another head job right away. Trestman was a bit of a reach in the first place coming from the CFL despite his NFL resume. His inability to get Cutler to play at a high level was a big let-down from a supposed QB whisperer. He may even have to go back to being a QB coach before landing an OC job.

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

That makes too much sense. But I don't know if Rex Ryan is capable of being a head coach. He would probably make the best DC in the league, though.

Raiders have a tough division, too. DEN, KC, SD all seem to be competitive, every year. Once the Bears solve the Cutler conundrum, they'll be alright. Forte is one of the best backs in the NFC, while Marshall and Jeffery are a really really good WR duo. The defense isn't all that far off from being respectable either.

Like a lot of teams, Chicago just needs a QB to be competitive.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

just like his dad

Rocket River

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agree on Rex but I lost almost all respect for Trestman. Like you said later, he might be lucky to get a QB coach position, much less becoming an OC.

Rex brought a lot of problems on himself and he may not be HC material. But I think his head is screwed on better than his father's, he could learn from his Jets experience and be a much better HC the 2nd time around.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Kubiak to NY?

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

If you are saying that he's a blowhard, a**hole like his POS Dad, then you are spot on. And yes, I am STILL pissed about the disaster his "father" was here.

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

Hmm Yeah let's bout time a coach whose first losing season was last year, in a year where the team was killed with injuries.

That is why he wasn't fired last year. Not that hard to figure out really.

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

Mike Smith deserved to be fired after this year but the problems aren't just him. The gm Thomas Dimtroff is terrible. Giving up 5 picks for Julio Jones was terrible.

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I recall Kubiak's final season and debating throughout it if/when he should be fired and perhaps if it should have been done in the past. Abnormally, before posting in here, I did like an hour or more of surface research about coaching records, SB wins, and when coaches got fired. From that, I remember one anomaly: Bill Cowher. He was the only SB winning coach that didn't make the SB w/in I think his first 5 years on the job. IIRC, he had good records and didn't have an awful year. I also remember that the only other coaches that could survive awful years were coaches with SB equity, like Tom Coughlin. Using history and EVERY team that won a SB as the barometer, Kubiak was fired too late and last season when the Texans and Atlanta sucked, Mike Smith was probably going to get fired too. It's more clear to see now that he was probably fired too late. They just wasted another year.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't understand why every NFL coach that gets fired doesn't run to college...I do understand wanting to see if you can win a superbowl and coach in the pros...but if I were Rex Ryan, I'd be tossing the idea of college ball around more seriously.

NFL is so harsh, one bad season and that could be it. College you can get paid more and can set up shop in that one place until you can retire (If you're any good of course) most of the big colleges don't demand championships, they just want the programs to be relevant. Finish top 10 every now and then, generally speaking. If you win a championship or two, you may have to get run out of town before you are fired.

Oh, and you don't have to worry about caps and the luck of the draft. you can load up on talent every single year.

Don't blame Harbaugh at all.

14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Cutler was the easy scapegoat but Trestman's play calling was just awful since the second half of last season. Incredibly predictable with way too much passing, all he and his staff had to do was look at the Cowboys game plan to see how they could have succeeded.

I'm willing to give Cutler another year, he's given a lot of grief for going through a lot of coaches but they've all been hot garbage. None of his previous OC or HC have had any sort of success when they've moved on outside of McDaniels.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I know, this never happens in America!

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jaguars?src=hash">#Jaguars</a> will need a new offensive coordinator. Jedd Fisch is out, per source.</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/549983784985038848">December 30, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

When the play calling is predictable or crazy . . . .. blame it on the Coach . .coaching to the limitations of the QB
    so . . it is still the QB's Fault. . . . .

Rocket River

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Redskins said they and Defensive Coordinator Jim Haslett have mutually parted ways (consciously uncoupled).</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/550306966913163264">December 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

If Trestman really thought Cutler was limited he have run the ball a lot more, instead his game plan was old school Andy Reid, passing on nearly every down and running the same WR screens over and over again.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Doug Marrone has opted out of his contract with Buffalo and is now a free agent.

#40 J.R., Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015