1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Black Lives Matter activist claims white Jesus statues should come down because they're racist

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jun 22, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Jesus was jacked.

Steroids?

Lifting wood?

conquistador#11 likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's Shaun King dude.

Relax.

Nook, B@ffled and ROXTXIA like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

P 90-X

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Preach Brotha.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Is this closer to The Truth?

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And Grifter.

Nook likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Amen.

9. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Not sure Martin Luther Cream really should be an opinion anyone really holds as important.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't really followed Shaun King so I have no opinion about the relevance of this.

As someone who's studied art and architecture history I find the discussion regarding the depiction of Jesus fascinating. Both Christianity and Buddhism have prohibitions against idolatry and even upon depiction of their respective deities. In the early days of both religions there weren't depictions of either Jesus or the Buddha. It wasn't until both religions started getting very wide spread and also became associated with imperial power structures did we start seeing depictions of them. Also in both religions since they spanned multiple cultures depictions became associated with the individual cultures and even rulers. For example the Buddha in Cambodia is depicted as Khmer and in China he looks Chinese. Jesus was the same way and as other posters once Christianity dominated Rome it should not be surprising then that Jesus was portaryed as looking Italian. As America has largely been settled by Western and Northern European Protestants and the Evangelical movement is overwhelmingly it should be expected that Jesus is portrayed here as looking like that frequently shown with blond hair and blue eyes. In the same way many are only familiar with the Buddha from a Chinese image even to the point that many conflate Buddha with another Chinese deity (This is the happy fat guy people see in Chinese restaurants). Neither the historical Buddha or Jesus probably looked much like what most Americans think they are.

That does mean that the depiction of Jesus as white Anglo Saxon man is racist? It's racist in the sense that it is a projection of a particular group's view of themselves onto their deity and if you believe that your deity looks like you racially that does imply a sense of superiority. That said I personally don't think it's much to get worked up over. If there are people who want to depict Jesus as a white man, a black man, an Asian man or Native American that is their business. If it makes them feel superior then that's good for them. As a non-Christian the depiction of Jesus doesn't bother me because I don't believe in it's divinity. As long as they aren't trying to use the law to enforce their views.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

lol. Sorry, I don't consider you an expert.

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Of course Modern images of Jesus are racist. White people could not see themselves worshiping a Brown face. It is the same then as it is today. Whether they consciously think it or not, many whites see themselves a superior to Black,Brown, yellow, red faces. Doesn't mean they are racist or bigots, but society has pushed the idea "white people are superior to those of color". Can you imagine Southern Baptist worshipping and praising a Brown faced Jesus every Sunday? I think not.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Martin Luther Cream, Talcum X, i'm dying over here.

And this guy was a major spokesman for the Sanders campaign, this is why he sputtered poor campaign management.

How did he not know Schatz was a co sponsor of the bill?

Andre0087 and Nook like this.
  14. No Worries

Here read this and get back to me:

[​IMG]

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I know, me too. This thread delivers, and I've learned a lot about that guy, a guy my most liberal friends love re-tweeting btw.

Totally a ticket to Trump II: Burning Down the Rest of the House.

jiggyfly and vlaurelio like this.
  17. No Worries

Naturally libtards next move will be to break into people’s house, steal their bibles, and burn them since Jesus did not speak (though he could if he wanted to) a modern European language.

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Don't give them ideas.

B@ffled likes this.
  19. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

This is why I’ve locked our bibles up in the safe and installed those boxing gloved springs behind my Jesus paintings to ‘bop’ them in the nose like on the show Wipeout.

No Worries likes this.
  20. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

yeah but does it fit the definition of racist? I don’t think so because there isn’t an intent to deny anyone equality. The goalposts seemed to be moved on what is racism to include things like garage door handles and emancipation statues that were funded by freed slaves. Until the left speaks up corrects the mostly white misaligned sjw mob, the goalpost is going to keep moving. And we’re a month out from the Floyd murder and there is no dialogue. What’s the goal here? To address racism or ???