1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Black Lives Matter activist claims white Jesus statues should come down because they're racist

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jun 22, 2020.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

How do we draw the line on offensive imagery?

To what extent is something subjectively offensive? Vs really it is offensive?

Who is the governing body? Even one person says it is so it is?
    How do we know they are acting in good faith?

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

we vote to take down public property. not mob rule.

3. conquistador#11

If you want to talk about vandalizing in the disguise of a " restorer"
    look what they did to our virgin Mary, (in spain)
    Let's stop being cheap and pay for quality restorers,

That said if Picasso or Dali had done the blob it would be worth x1000

B-Bob likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

FWIW Jesus likely looked like Middle Eastern Jews of today as genetically the Jews in areas like Iraq are extremely similar to the early 1st century Jews we have discovered in the area where Jesus was born.

So Jesus did not look like this:

[​IMG]

He also did not look like this:
    [​IMG]

He likely didn't really look too much like this either, but it is closer:
    [​IMG]

He most likely looked like some version of this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The appearance of Jesus has become a stupid political talking point for self serving idiots on both sides of the equation. Jesus has been depicted looking quite different over the centuries,

jiggyfly, Jayzers_100 and joshuaao like this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

6. amaru

amaru Member

1)Shaun King aka Talcum X isn’t a black man imho.

2) Jesus (assuming he actually existed) did not look like a European man. He would have closely resembled inhabitants of that region as well. There is a description of Jesus in the Bible and he certainly doesn’t appear to be European.

7. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

i could give a rat's a** what color he was honestly lol. I really don't mean "white supremacist" in the evil contemporary sense. Like you mentioned, different cultures portray him different ways. At the end of the day it is kind of a silly argument. The "white-washing" debate would have been pertinent centuries ago but now it's just history. It's interesting to see how different groups depicted him

8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Its funny people talk about how when you are a kid \
    / baby and you dont see race and it takes adults to be racist . teach you...and tell you to hate.

I get that to an extent but then I grew up in the south watching dukes of hazzard. I loved the general lee and I felt a sense of pride every time it jumped and took off from the law. It was all good fun and those that knew ...knew the duke boys were sincerely well meaning guys.

Growing up I remember thinking I might go to westbury high school and I would be a westbury 'rebel' and get to have that beautiful confederate flag that meant so much to me as a lover of the duke boys and it happens to be a pretty flag.

I never not even once thought of it as anything to do with black or anti black. Not once.

Sure I took history and I honestly at the time like a baby didnt see race never thought of the confederate flag as something against black people. I never associated the 2 although I recognized then the bad parts of the confederate and history.

I wont fly it and understand better its offense but I dont view the confederate flag as an anti black statement and I think it stinks that it was hijacked by racists who tried to make it a symbol. I also think it too people trying to make it into race when maybe it wasnt about that or ALL about that.

Its not always race and when they came out with the rebel mascot for westbury I dont think for a second they were thinking anti black. It wasnt about that and sadly somewhere along the way that part was lost. Pretty soon I wont be able to say i Iike dukes of hazzard because its anti black due to confederate imagery and thats horse bleep since I was never thinking about black or white when watching it...i was looking for big jumps and daisy dukes it was you who taught me that hate and to make it black and white. I still wont do it and I dont see it that way sorry..
    I think those that always want to make EVERYTHING black and white are racist themselves... obsessed ....toxic

Its getting old and tired. I do think its funny to always think everything is about you or about race...its not and i like the confederate flag because I like dukes of hazzard and I think the general lee is the shiznit.nothing more nothing less.

Im still not clear on why the general lee doesnt have doors that open but ive accepted its something I just have to live with. Its ok

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The depiction of Jesus is some Roman emperor. People don't choose their church based on its depiction of Jesus.
    That universal depiction goes waaaaay back

10. cml750

cml750 Member

Of course he is racist. He is absolutely obsessed with race. It comes shining through in most of his post.

11. Nook

Nook Member

A lot of more radical African Americans agree with you and in many cases are atheist.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Nah, it's actually not.

I'm Latino and white. My ancestors are Taino, Spanish, and English. My Taino ancestors were enslaved by Columbus and my English ancestors owned slaves in America. My ancestors fought on both sides of the Civil War. As a child I felt racism from Latinos for not being brown enough and then from whites for not being white enough. I'm well acquainted with the topic of racism on a very personal level. No, I don't hate white or brown people because I'm both. So don't ask or insinuate it again. It's a dumb deflection.

B-Bob, jiggyfly and B@ffled like this.
  13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think Christianity teachings have not helped black people. I think the philosophy of accepting Jesus will shield you has had negative unintended consequences. I do agree that Christianity was used to justify slavery but that's really not my beef with it.

The church is where civil rights leaders organized people.

#73 pgabriel, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Nook likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

:eek:

o_O

Claim Jesus wasn't white and cml comes out blasting.

Andre0087 and Nook like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know what the hell is up with Shaun King. There are even questions about whether he is black. All I will say is people are ****ing weird sometimes. I have a black friend that says someone is black if they identify as black, even if they have zero genetic basis. What do I know, I just think everything about Shaun King is weird. He is very self serving and over the top like he is playing a characture of himself.

As for Jesus, he certainly did not look like a freshman at Duke like he has been depicted.... he wasn't black either...... he was a 1st century Middle Eastern Jew. The genetics of current Iraqi Jews are virtually identical to those of Jewish Middle Easterners 2000 years ago.

Having said that, I am sure that the fact Jesus looked more like one of the 9/11 bombers than some young Italian guy pisses some people off.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm Catholic. The church I grew up in has had a lot of black priests. For those not Catholic, priests belong to different orders. I think the biggest order are Jesuits and their focus is spreading Catholicism.

The church I grew up in is run by Jospehites. Its an order based in Baltimore and it was founded to cater to blacks. Anyway the point is my church painted the Jesus, Mary and Joseph statues black about 30 years ago

#77 pgabriel, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Nook likes this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If they spray painted Jesus statues with blackface, would that make both sides happy?

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Zero contemporaneous evidence. Zero. But hey, you can believe what you want.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Stupid.

He just wants attention, I think this will backfire on him.