1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Black Lives Matter activist claims white Jesus statues should come down because they're racist

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jun 22, 2020.

1. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

This is what I'm trying to figure out: If @CometsWin is really a racist. He says some toxic things but I can't tell if it's just an angry response or if he seriously hates white people. Then of course the next question would be is it just white people? I'm curious.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

As someone who isn't Christian or religous at all, it's easy for me to say this but man if I was African American, the last thing I would be is a Christian. It's the religon that was used to justify the African slave trade.

I guess it's kind of similar to how my parents and ancestors are Muslim only because hundreds of years ago my ancestors were forcefully converted through invasion.

Nook and dachuda86 like this.
  3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Christianity is a foreign religion to Europe. Likely white Jesus was used in order to make it easier for men the convert to someone that wouldn't look like an outsider. They were pagan before that and they spent many years changing their pagan traditions to Christian ones. That said, it's not a pressing need to change people's depiction of Jesus. Seriously who cares? Let people do whatever they want with their beliefs. I personally don't think people use white Jesus as a sign of supremacy though. There is nothing inherently better about any skin color so if someone put a brown Jesus up in my old church, I wouldn't really give a damn. It would strike many people as weird though because of the traditional white Jesus they saw and became accustomed to since birth. But I imagine, apart from a handful or racist people, usually much older, people wouldn't care. That said, going around and tearing down white Jesus just because you don't like his skin tone... I find that to be hateful and racist. This is what I hear from some people.

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Well, I think he is resentful and seeks to use justice as an excuse to lash out at things he's angry about. Like many SJWs. They say things like equality and justice in order to justify their destructive personalities.

BLM is a movement just like that. They preach a slogan that is absolutely right, but use it as a shield for destructive marxist movements.

5. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

And that's your choice. It's an important reason that America was founded. I hope you note that I'm not attacking you for your beliefs. Also, I didn't take your post as an attack on my or anyone else. It's an opinion.

cml750 likes this.
  6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I already told you that race wars are a right wing talking point, not a liberal one. I have never in my life heard a fellow progressive talk about a race war in any other context than in fear of some right wing militia trying to start one. Like Antifa the deadly terrorist group, the coming left wing race war is a non-issue. Right wing politics are increasingly fear based. Nothing scares the hell out of conservatives more than black "thugs" committing crimes against white little old ladies even though that demographic of crime is the exception. Somehow conservatives simultaneously complain about the pervasiveness of black on black crime as a way to distract from police brutality and then are scared to death of being attacked by black "thugs". Hell not long ago conservatives balked at the Houston initiative trying to stop discrimination against gays/transgendered and they actually aired a bunch of TV ads insinuating little girls would get raped in bathrooms due to the policy. Now the Supreme Court just made it illegal to discriminate and you guys forgot all about those ads. We don't forget.

Politically I think Joe Biden is a schmuck. You look at the things he has supported in his career including the Iraq War, including Clarence Thomas, including the crime bill and it makes me want to throw up. Biden will however surround himself with experts and competent people and hopefully a strong Vice President. Biden will embarrass us from time to time but it won't be because he's a vicious ******* with no respect for the law, it'll be because he's a goober who talks too much and that's an important distinction. You should not find my condemnation of Trump as some glowing endorsement of Biden. I'm a lot more a progressive than a Democrat and if I had my choice I'd rather see Elizabeth Warren with the nomination. She fully understands that corporate power is out of control and she has a track record of action on the matter.

As for Trump's supporters, there's no question a large segment of them are vicious, nasty, and racist people who love "trolling the libs" and who regularly vote against their own economic interests. And yet there are those who bought into the outsider label and such. They thought Trump, because he was rich, would be immune from influence, surround himself with the very best, and fix things. They were obviously wrong and were fooled by his charade. And so, here we are with a criminal clown as President and a gaffe machine running against him. One is a decent man and one isn't.

#46 CometsWin, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  7. CometsWin

Deflection. Honestly dude, those Youtube videos are rotting your brain.

8. CometsWin

Your arguments are so simplistic and dumb. Honestly.

9. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

One is owned by the same establishment that has been in power for the last 30 years plus. The other isn't. If you're unhappy about why things haven't progressed as far as they should over the last 30 years, you might want to question that. Trump's only been in power for 3.5 yrs.
    Albert Einstein's famous line: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

10. CometsWin

I can't tell if you're poorly equipped to respond with your intellect or if talking about white supremacy makes you so uncomfortable that you have to lash out. I'm curious. Maybe you hate the browns and the blacks so much that you refuse to acknowledge the obvious. Which is it?

It's telling how poorly some of you handle being confronted with racial issues. It makes you very uncomfortable to talk about and you resort to he "hates the whites' rather than just dealing with the argument. Yall are snowflake central.

#50 CometsWin, Jun 23, 2020
    jiggyfly likes this.
  11. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Again I'm not in support of removing the statues...and we're so far removed from any mal-intent that may have been had, but quite literally those who originally depicted Jesus as white were more or less implying that they are part of God's superior image...I mean they're literally showing his son as white lol. It's such an old custom that it's not really anything our current society is using an ill manner, so I view it quite differently from Confederate stuff

jiggyfly, joshuaao and CometsWin like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Shaun King is a fringe weirdo.

joshuaao and amaru like this.
  13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Jesus is not promoting white supremacy. Thats ridiculous since the imagery isnt based on white..

The prevailing image of jesus was an italian looking guy (skin color wasn't the intent then either) and that is from the 6th century or so.
    Have you guys ever heard the term 'roman catholic' ??
    Where is rome? Italy!!

Shocker jesus looks like he could put his ponytail in a bun and play midfield for the italian team.

Its fine to redefine your image of jesus.. or use half the brain you have to know that jesus probably didn't look like fabio. Its called marketing folks and the guy who made the pic in the 6th century deserves some residuals way more than the swoosh logo guy. Talk about an icon.

Vandalizing history and stained glass is sick especially religious and this black lives activist is fringe or should be ostracized as fringe.

There is really no such thing as white jesus and using your hate or whatever to attack a religion is horsesh**it and that goes for what isis did or taliban in Afghanistan. No different.

I believe seeing white in jesus due to seeing it that way because you want to. And thats honestly on you.

Not everything always is about race. It gets annoying when its not and making something racist that is not- is racist itself and lame! Why cant jesus just be an italian guy since thats where the religion got some traction?

You dont like the church so you attack their imagery? Now you dont like italians? What about chef boyardee and ron jeremy? Fonzi? Where we going on this slope?

Be blasphemous all you want but taking down a stain glass is wrong and as much a hate crime as any.
    All religious imagery should be protected. And hate symbols should be taken seriously. Pretty sure a white power or black power or swastika are a no go.

Being proud to worship an italian looking dude is not racist my god. Freedom of religion is a religious right and if you are infringing on that right? fu*ck you!

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jesus wasn't white but people are free to create god in whatever image they so choose. White people are going to make him white duh. No way are white people capable of worshiping a dark skinned god lol.

As for tearing down statues, I don't think the opinion of one fringe writer should be taken seriously.

pgabriel likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

16. edwardc

edwardc Member

These Republicans aren't Israel friendly at all
    [​IMG]

amaru likes this.
  17. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Next was Washington, Grant, Roosevelt, Andrew Jackson, Miguel de Cervantes, and for some reason Stevie Ray Vaughn

After that comes Jesus. They already started wrecking the St. John's Church

no matter what you think of the people the statue's depict, we don't let mobs destroy public property. We vote democratically to take statues down. Even then just move them them to a museum. Nobody's life is made better by destroying artwork.

#57 tallanvor, Jun 23, 2020
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Jesus was a Jew.

While no one knows exactly what he looked like, he likely looked like a Jew. He did not look black and he did not quite look European.

Jesus is depicted differently in different cultures around the world. Interesting, he tends to look more like the people that are worshiping him or who drew him. It is human nature.

If predominately black churches want to depict him as African, then they can certainly do so. Same with Polish churches, if they want to depict his features as more European.

There are far more important concerns than Shaun King the weirdo attempting to remain relevant.

Invisible Fan, joshuaao and B@ffled like this.
  19. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

You're response is the exact thing you've just tried to accuse me of. IRONY. AVOIDANCE. It was a simple question directed to you. How did you handle that one? Hey, a simple yes or no was asked for.

Here we are talking about race. I'm quite fine with it. It's the social issue that's upon us right now. We need to have these discussions. Tell me how is your contribution to this discussion helping?

I don't hate any race - PERIOD. Rolls of the tongue, bro. You don't have to answer the question. Hell, it's the internet. You have to watch what you say nowadays.

20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I draw the line at people fu*cking with my boss hogg statue

Nook likes this.