1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Black Cop Kills Unarmed White Youth

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Anas acuta, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

Not at all. I'd never work for either of those (well, they're not my preferred choices).

Were you raised in a sheltered environment? Regardless of what you do for a living, or who you are or where you're from, we all have our options about the lowest in society. That's the way it is. We're all people. And we're all different. I have to remain neutral and I have to treat all "victims" the same, which I do. Especially where I work out here in the 'burbs. Most of who we deal with don't want to see us. They're normally the lowlifes leaches and criminals, the 6% of the population that are considered criminals. And they're often referred to as exactly what they are.

We actually have a policy about how to treat people. I'll see if I can find it.

2. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Maybe because his dick was out? If I ever get arrested I will just whip it out right before and see if I can run away. Maybe it was the meth part, no sane human wants to accidentally brush against a meth head's scabby penis.

3. Nook

Nook Member

#1 the article claims that the taser had no effect on him, so people need to keep that in mind.

#2 do we need to just go back and forth pulling up articles of different races being shot or not shot? Did the meth head beat the officer in the face?

#3 would the world be better off without methhead? Probably... Do you want to take him out? If so just avoid injuring any innocent bystanders.

4. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Kind of the point
    on the small level

This is where the cop's personal biases and racism come into play
    it will never show up in STATS - it won't be PROVABLE

When the cops walk up to a 'potential felon'
    Skin tones is a consideration . . and when it is darker
    They draw the weapon faster .. . based on nothing but personal bias

Same thing happens when the resident rac---- er trolls decide on who the world is better of with or without.

Rocket River

6. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you on many issues, including some race related. I will only add that it is a two way street. I have seen people immediately have an attitude and be combative with officers.

Does bias play a part with officers? I am sure it does. They see a disproportionate amount of violent crime commited by males, blacks and younger people. I know I was questioned, pulled over more at 20 than now. I would bet it is because I am now in a lower crime level demographic.

7. Bäumer

When you post **** like this
    it makes me cringe. You can't rationalize these attitudes to me. Like I said I thought you were supposed to serve and protect EVERY citizen. Just because someone is on food stamps it does not mean they are a bad person or a detriment to society. People make poor choices and end up in ****ty circumstances. As someone who receives checks from the government and sees the the problems up close I would think you would have a little empathy. I know there are many many scummy people out there but it doesn't mean they should be dead.

I am happy that you are not a police officer where I live. Society would probably be better off if you worked at a gas station instead.

8. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

but again - more white people are killed by cops than black people, so this doesn't seem to be the case

9. edwardc

edwardc Member

Your guess is correct sir.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Because, white meth heads are better behaved than black folks - is that the point you are making?

Good god this thread is stupid.

11. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

Actually, I can show quite the contrary. I've received numerous awards and have never had a sustained IA complaint in over six years of police work. I'd say I'm doing pretty good. But this isn't about me and I don't have anything to prove.

Let me ask you a question? Can I still do my job correctly but maintain my personal beliefs about certain people/situations? You'd be surprised to hear the "water cooler" talks and the roll call discussions. There's are lots of "oxygen thiefs" out there and I get to deal with a lot of them. I'm human so I'm going to have my personal beliefs. As long as I do my job in a neutral, fair manner, I don't see an issue.

12. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

No, but the white mormons in Utah are generally better behaved than poor black folks.

13. Bäumer

I am not saying you can't have your personal beliefs but some of these posts you are making are extreme, callous and frankly a little disgusting. I would hope you could set it aside on the job but I can't imagine some of these beliefs not leaking into how you work and how you analyze people and situations. Water cooler/locker room talk are of that nature because of the audience. The audience here is not comprised of your police buddies, so we aren't going to react the same way when you say police killing "oxygen thieves" is good for society. You aren't doing yourself and your fellow policemen any favors by posting trash like that.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't really like where this thread seems to be heading....

[​IMG]

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

So, you see what they've done in making this graph right? For the blacks to be over-represented, you say 'well, you have to control for poverty rates, this-that-and-the-other and blacks are statistically more likely to offend, more likely to encounter police, etc, etc, so it's understandable that they are over-represented in this graph.' Okay sure. And then you have the hispanic population (the 'white hispanics'), which is much like the black population in poverty, education, encountering police, enduring racism and what-all. We can squable about who has it worse, but roughly comparable. So, if blacks are overrepresented compared to their 13% of the population by 2x-3x, you can assume hispanics are also overrepresented for the same reasons. If youy put hispanics in here, they'd probably take up 50% of the 20-29 bracket (13%:42% black ratio translated to hispanic ratio of 17%:52%, very roughly). Well, whites only own 55% of that bar. So, now you've got:

Blacks: 40%
    Hispanics: 50%
    Non-hispanic Whites: 5%
    Other: 5%

It's high-level math, and definitely wrong. But probably not wrong by an order of magnitude. The graph would tell you that white people make up the majority of people shot by police. But, they want to pretend like all the Mexicans and other hispanics in this country are treated just like other white people. And, we know that's not true. So, the reality they're papering over is that 'real' white people (by people's real-life everyday understanding of what a non-oppressed white person is) hardly ever get shot by police. They can't be the majority of victims, but likely the extreme minority.

16. edwardc

edwardc Member

What happen to the use of Tasers.

17. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

Look, I don't want to damper the image of police officers anymore than what's being done everyday (hear about the HPD officer that got arrested yesterday for cocaine delivery, or the one who killed himself because he was caught up in an overtime scheme?). I have to deal with the public for a living. Luckily, out here in the 'burbs I feel that we have a lot of citizen support. Our citizen's police academy is large and they do a lot for us. We have the small town feel around here.

But with all due respect, you're coming off as someone in fantasy land. People (cops included) have their opinions about people. As long as it doesn't effect their job performance there's not an issue. Whether I'm a police officer or not, I feel no sympathy for a chap when he/she fights with the police or charges them with a knife and winds up dead. I'll call them like I see them, and the human in me tends to make judgments.

18. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

The Taser is for stopping a fight.
    The gun is for stopping deadly force.

Don't get them mixed up.

19. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Hmmm, why would white on black crime create more outrage? Could it be the centuries of slavery and oppression suffered by black Americans at the hands of white Americans? Could it be that there were people marching in Ferguson who still feel the sting of segregation and Jim Crow because it happened to them (or their parents/grandparents) a scant 50 years ago?

Nah... context is f***ing stupid. We should look it at everything as though it exists in a vacuum.

:rolleyes:

20. Bäumer

Read my earlier posts, I have no sympathy for him either. If I was a cop I can't say that I wouldn't have pulled the trigger if I was in their shoes, I probably would have shot him too. My problem is the police's tendency to escalate delicate situations and always one-up the aggression of those they are interacting with.

I don't live in fantasy land (you aren't the first to say that about me lol) but I am highly idealistic, I will give you that. I think idealism is a healthy trait if it isn't approaching delusion. Every life has intrinsic value even the guy with the knife. I never said you can't have an opinion but when you start calling people killed by cops "oxygen thieves" and spouting hateful and prejudicial remarks it will agitate me especially when it is coming from a cop (someone who is supposed to represent order, justice, neutrality, and peace). I am glad your department has support and I think the police should be supported and respected in general but its a two-way street.