1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Black Cinema] Art House Fav & Awards Contender Barry Jenkins 'Moonlight'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Dec 3, 2016.

1. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

I guess I'm the only one that thought Ali's performance was not only non-Oscar worthy, but pretty forgettable.
    I'm a fan of Ali's work, but this role seriously did nothing for me. What exactly did he do that was so amazing? He had maybe 1 scene where he struggled with inner morality but other than that I honestly cannot remember a single thing he did or single line he said that was remotely special

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

To each his own. I've never needed Daniel Day Lewis frothing at the mouth and popping veins -- not to say you do -- so very subtle performances are fine with me.

I'm not familiar with Ali's other work, so maybe this was run of the mill for him. That could be true. If you've seen him in more animated roles, maybe it just seemed like he squinted a lot into the Miami sun in this movie. But for me, he was the most convincing character of every scene he inhabited. Some actors just magnetically draw your attention when they're on the screen, and to me, he seems to be in that category. He somehow convinced me he was a drug dealer who gave a **** about this little boy.

Cheers.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

First act was pretty great. Last two acts were largely afterthoughts comparatively. Thought it was quite good, but not a masterpiece.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

His other work is FANTASTIC
    First 6 Episodes of LUKE CAGE
    Remy on the HOUSE OF CARDS
    The 4400

Rocket River

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The complexity he brought to Remy on HOC was outstanding. Big fan of his work. Liked his role here, but I have to agree I don't see it as groundbreaking by any measure.

But this is Hollywood so style and subject matter take precedent.

Rocket River likes this.