1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bismack Biyombo

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by aicedo, Apr 7, 2011.

Tags:
  1. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

ACB on Fuenlabrada. Once again, it's not like the NBA. You do NOT rate it by league, you rate it by TEAM.

That's a very mediocre level in Europe.

2. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

for some odd reason, david stern has driven this league into a wing player league. For those saying "he's 6'9". He's too small for a 5.", we need to remember our own big that has been destroyed by the current nba.

Yao was allowed to receive so much contact in the post. This allowed people to front him and ride him at the same time. Remember the difference between game 1 and game 2 in the portland series.

After saying all this, the centers of the future will be the athletic bigs that are in the 6'9"-7' range that have a long wingspan. The 7'+ guys are going to be few and far between that end up lasting in this faster, up-tempo game.

Biyombo has nice tenacity around the basket. He would be the new age athletic big that would be perfect on this team. I would like to have another african on our team.:)

1 person likes this.
  3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Lot of excitement here for a guy that just came out of the blue. Either way, secret's out:

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/04/11/...ohose_landing.html?blockID=501568&feedID=3725

April 11, 2011
    As Cavaliers fans prepare to turn their full attention to the NBA Draft and to the impending stay-or-go decisions facing top underclass college prospects, there's a new name drawing plenty of attention from decision-makers around the league.

Bismack Biyombo has officially arrived -- on everybody's radar anyway -- after his performance in the Nike Hoop Summit last weekend. Biyombo, an 18-year-old native of the Congo who's already declared his intentions to enter this year's draft, recorded the first triple-double in Hoop Summit history with 12 points, 11 rebounds and 10 blocks.

Biyombo officially measured at 6'9 with a 7'7 wingspan last week. He was 243 pounds with 4.8 percent body fat.

I caught a little bit of the game. He certainly has a long way to go offensively, but Biyombo's freakish athleticism and NBA body immediately catch your eye. He's only been playing organized basketball for five or six years, but he seems to have a feel for the game and is certainly a presence on the block.

Based on what I saw and what I've dug up from a trip or two around the Internet, he seems like a late lottery pick. If a team sees more than a little Dwight Howard in him, he'll go higher.

#103 Icehouse, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  4. acjeitherocket

get it done Morey!!!!

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

There are rumors that he is actually 24.

6. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

If he really is in his 20's, that'd just mean we get him in his prime on a rookie contract :cool:

7. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rumors are good for us. This means that he'll drop a few spots and we can get him cheaper.

8. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I hate to be the Wolf here, but lets not just sucking each other's popsicles just yet.

What exactly differentiates this guy from the mystery African/foreign prospect that pops up every year with a ridiculous wingspan, crazy athleticism, limited experience and a high motor/good work ethic? If Hasheem Thabeet never sets foot on American soil until 3 weeks before the draft, conducts a private workout where he shows off his ability to throw down windmills from the freethrow line, make change off the top of the backboard, and gives the same soundbites we've been hearing down in the Rio Grande Valley about being receptive to coaching, getting frustrated at himself and coming early/staying late, we'd be going just as gaga over him as Memphis did last year. Alexis Ajinca was 7'1" with a 7'9" wingspan, Saer Sene could touch the rim while standing, Pavel Podkolzin was 7'4" and 300 pounds. All it did was give the fans a bigger leash.

Can anyone name me a guy who started basketball late, didn't go to college or develop in professional leagues for years, and still became a good player in the league? Anyone?

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

What does this even mean? Rating players by team has got to be the most kooky kind of player evaluation I've seen. Is this why you think there are a ton of secret Euro superstars toiling away in the Euro league? I mean if you rate it by team does this mean the top Euro team has 23 Euro superstars? :confused:

10. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Solid points, escpecially the NBa favouring the samller guys now. Dwight and Blake are recieving the YAO treatment now. I hate to see it because it tones down their style of play. The game favours bigs like DeAndre and McGee types quick, atheletic dunkers.

Guys with Solid back to the baskey game will get rarer and rarer. No more Ewings, Shaqs, Malones, Barkleys, Robinsons and Duncans. Big guys who can shoot from far are more favoured now.

Abount Biyombo, he is still only 18, it wouldnt be wishfull thinking to say he may still put on another 2-3 inches.

11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I think he's trying to say, "He's putting up stats on the Wizards of the Euroleague, not the Lakers."

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its funny you say that because the contenders in the league still have that low post presence you're talking about Celts, Spurs, Lakers, Thunder and Orlando all have that traditional post guy. Quick guys who only know how to dunk or shoot jumpers are all playing in lottery team like the Clips or Wizards.

There might be an advantage but its obviously not enough, traditional big men who play in the paint are still the league's most valued commodity.

13. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

In Europe the level you are on is based largely by what TEAM you are on. This is basic basketball 101 knowledge.

The European system is not remotely similar to the NBA in any way. Maybe you should start broadening your basketball knowledge instead of just attacking me all the time over things you don't know about.

ACB Fuenlabrada = mediocre level of European basketball players

ACB Barca-Real-Baskonia = good to high level European basketball players

Let me put it in simple terms for you. The budgets of teams vary by factors of more than 10 times. Now if you can show me any time where the NBA has budgets that vary by 10 or more times please do.

Also, if you can show me where a team like Fuenlabrada could even compete in Euroleague then please do. Until then stop wasting my time please.

1 person likes this.
  14. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Fuenlabrada is not even a Euroleague team. It's nowhere near even being close to that level. It has ever in its history even one time played in Euroleague.

It played one time in its history in the second level of Europe and a couple times in the third level. Never once has it played in Euroleague and it does not even play in a European competition now.

Most people in Europe have probably never even heard of the team. So no, not the Wizards of Europe, more like a D-League team or lower by comparison.

15. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Oh so this guy is dominating the Euroleague?

16. anchel

anchel Member

Read the entire thread, please.

Biyombo has the level to be playing right now on a Euroleague team. In just a few weeks in the league he has become a key player for his team (a playoff team, with same number of victories than Unicaja of Malaga -a Euroleague top16 team-).

It's just a matter of watching him play and prove that we're talking about a man already. His positionating, his motor, his knlowledge of the game, his athleticism and NBA body...

17. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Cool. A young kid on a pogo stick with arms longer than most peoples' legs.
    But rating him higher than Patterson? When he essentially have proven nothing at all?

18. anchel

anchel Member

BTW, Ibaka had similar numbers, on a worse team, and being a year older. Biyombo is being a better shotblocker. He leads the league in blocks playing only 17 minutes per game (this is like impressive), and he leads the league at rebounds per 40 minutes. Being a 18 y.o. rookie. Add his global defensive presence.

I don't think nobody is exagerating at all, he's really a rare thing, something extraordinary. Don't know what he'll be able to do in the NBA, but right now there are solid reasons to think high about him.

19. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

So let me get this straight. Bismack Biyombo is dominating the Euroleague. Luis Scola dominated the Euroleague. Scola is a good player in the NBA. Bismack Biyombo will be a good player in the NBA?

20. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

he has a unique combination of skills and bball iq. Would you take Mutombo in the draft if you knew he went to school to be a doctor instead of a basketball player, but he still had amazing talent?