1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bismack Biyombo

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by aicedo, Apr 7, 2011.

Tags:
  1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Priceless quote. No way Biyombo goes in the lottery.

2. Htown's2kFinest

3. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

I agree, there is a clear anti-international pro-college bias here. There is a huge list of college stars who couldn't cut it in the NBA yet this guy seems to ignore that. NBA front offices look for "upside" for a reason.

4. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

I M O:

Biyombo, not comparing him to anyone, is a bit crude in offensive skills, but I am sure with his athleticism he can learn to jump hook and dunk off rebounds and I think that is enough to start with. If we had a chance I would vote 'yes' to drafting him. He could spend another year abroad or in 'D' league and come back next year for the Rockets. Or, he might stay and b/u whoever is playing center this year.

5. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Bismack-Biyombo-5902/
    BB is slightly bigger than both emeka and horford, when you consider his wingspan and reach. He's just about 6'10. He can play center. Him and Patterson would be great defensively. Him or Jonas are good fits and good prospects.

6. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Think we will be going BPA at 14 since we will be drafting Jeremy Tyler at 23. And no, I have no real rationale or clue why I feel this way.

7. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Draftexpress.com currently has us taking Biyombo at #14, and Iman Shumpert at #23. I'm liking this. A lot.:)

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Unless this dude has some sort of discernible skill or awesome instincts, I want nothing to do with him. Being tall, long and athletic but incapable of finding the right spot on the floor or being unable to do anything besides stand underneath the basket isn't gonna cut it. In theory, Thabeet should be able to have that covered.

No. If we're taking this guy (and I realize, hypothetically we're talking about a guy being taken 14th overall so admittedly my standards may be too high), I want him to be on an Ibake-like path. At least when Serg came into the league he had a nose for the ball and a 15-footer to bring to the table.

9. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

We dont need to draft this guy at 14. No way. People are getting so caught up in his wingspan and athletic ability and 'potential'. It will take him years to develop a decent offensive game. It will also take him years to adjust to playing against NBA players. All his stats and films are against low level talent in Europe. In the NBA I guarantee he is in foul trouble consistently his first 2-3 years. He couldn't even make shots in his one-on-none workout for GMs. C'mon man!

Heck, we already have a player just like this but at least he is 7'0. I would rather us spend the next 2 years trying to see if we can get Thabeet to be 'something' rather than having 2 of these type players taking up space on the roster.

10. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I confess I want him at 14 primarily because he's a bit of an athletic freak (7 foot 6 wing span), just like I want Reggie Jackson at 23 because of his 7-foot wingspan.

Why not go bold? Go for the players that have the physical tools above and beyond the norm. They have the possibility to develop into something special.

Serge Ibaka was a nice hit, but Seattle/OKC have struck out on a lot of ~7 footers.

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

We don't need offense from him. We need D.

12. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Again, he was an average backup power forward, on a mid-level team, in the second best league in Europe. People here have severely exaggerated the level of player he was in Europe.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We need both. You can't be a liability on the offensive endbecause that will hurt your team overall. It's 5 on 5, not 4 on 5.

14. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Question 1: Is the Spanish League tougher competition than College Basketball? -- My answer is yes.

Question 2: How old is this mofo?
    I am not sure. However, all the speculation that he is older is based on how good of a leader he is, how mature he is, and how physically developed he is. That argument did not make people shy away from drafting LeBron or LeBron's dad (Oden) -- and they did not even have to show teams bone density scans and medical proof of their age. So, i am just assuming he is a well developed 18 year old with great intangibles, since all evidence (as opposed to speculation) points that way.

So, what we have is an 18 year old playing in competition much tougher than college.

Now, imagine watching a college freshman do to the ACC or Big East what the Bismack just did to the much tougher Spanish League. That guy would be in line for one of the top 3 picks in the draft. Furthermore, compare his numbers in the Spanish League to 19 year old Olajuwon's first year for the Cougars -- they compare favorably. I'm not saying he is going to be Dream (my favorite player ever), I am just pointing out that someone with his athleticism and current rawness can advance greatly beyond where they are now.

15. Russjr2

I agree, we do need better interior defense, I just think he will struggle against NBA level talent. He is blocking sub par euros right now and that is not saying a whole lot. Going against players that are fairly equal athletically (he's just 6'9), will be a diffrent story for him. Not having ANY offensive skills will be a liability.

Like I said, we already have a guy 7'0 that is about at the same place as this guy. I would rather take a chance at getting something out of him for the next 2 years than adding another 'project' to the roster. That would make 3 (Thabeet, Hill, and Biyombo) young bigs we are trying to develop. That's 1 too many in my opinion.

I think we try to get a talented SF in the draft and maybe one of the versatile euro bigs and try to get a big in a trade or FA. Patterson showed good defense in the paint, I believe he will get better at that.

I think this will be a interesting draft. I heard we were talking to Detroit about possibly moving up to 8 and give them our 2 first round picks.... Just rumors I guess.

16. Russjr2

You know they said this same thing about Stromile coming out of LSU right? hahaha

I know what you mean I just think he will struggle in the NBA playing agaisnt better talent. He did not look good at all in his workout. He was exposed! If he wwas closer to 7'0 feet i would feel better about him. 6'9 doesn't cut it for me.

17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

What???
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

I know I've mentioned this before, but all you need to know about his age can be done with a bone scan. If his bones are perfectly mature and developed, he's probably above 21. If there's some dark areas on the X ray close to his joints, he's not fully done growing/is probably around 18 as he says.

Also, if he can catch and dunk or rebound and make a layup, his defensive prowess and motor are worth the subpar offense.

He's not stromile, either. Stromile never worked hard. This guy is an animal.

19. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Actually,to a certain extent, that is my point.

Stromile Swift is a player who sort of did what did to the NCAA what Biyombo did to the Spanish League, and after one year of doing so he was either the 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft.

Now, I don't think he will be like Swift -- I think he is smarter, stronger, more athletic, has a MUCH better motor and better intangibles -- but I could be wrong about that. I'd be willing to bet I'm not wrong, but I could be.

However, if the Rockets can get him at 14, or move up to 8 to get him (as I think they are trying to do) they definitely should, because, if not for the accidental attribute of his international status, he would be a top 3 pick just like Stromile Swift.

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

If this guy can do what I hear many scouts are saying he can do, immediately help with interior defense and rebounding, than I am all for him.

Height is important but in my opinion usually is over rated. Height, reach, vertical, ability to get position, read shots coming off the rim all factor in.

Rodman is 6'7"
    Wallace is 6'9"
    Love is 6'10"
    Howard is 6'11"

Great rebounders under 7 feet tall. The best big man in the league isn't always the biggest man in the league.

There is tons of speculation about how horrible his offense is, but after seeing the evolution of chuck hayes' offensive game I am willing to believe anyone with the right work ethic, drive and good bball iq can improve to acceptable levels on the offensive end.

Still not sure who I want, but if Morey and the Rockets org decide to take Biyombo I won't be upset in the slightest.