1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BimaThug Memorial Thread] The Myth of the Rockets and the McGrady Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Probably in exchange for something like Nocioni, whose contract has 2 years to go. Crap contract for crap contract. No one is giving up an expiring contract for Dalembert.

2. herro

herro Member

I think we would be remiss not to figure that Les and Daryl are concerning themselves with just how much more time Yao has at a near-elite level. It might be time to add a superstar, let them get a feel for our roster this season, and be ready to contend strongly next season with the big fella.

kinda sounds sensible...

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think he was mentioned as well as Kenny Thomas etc.....maybe even KMart...I can not recall, only that the kings apparently had been looking really hard at acquiring him.

DD

4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Carl/Bima,

With regards to any trades that we may make this season involving McGrady, are we forced to oblige to that 125% incoming/outgoing rule?

I'm asking this because I've seen trades where teams just take back ridiculously large trade exceptions like I believe Denver did a couple of seasons ago.

Basically, what is the situation that has to exist where teams involved in trades don't have to stick to that 125% rule or can just take back those huge exceptions and let them expire?

5. herro

herro Member

well near superstar

not sure what the rest of the clutchfans faithful think about Iguodala, but I think he's awfully close

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If a KT for Dalembert trade can be done now, why would Philly be trying to dump his contract on the Rockets with Iguodala?

I'm pretty sure Kings would take Dalembert, but only when compensated for it.

Now, if the Kings would really do a Dalembert trade for KT or Martin, the Rockets should get in on the action.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Even if the Rockets were willing to take Iguodala and Dalembert, are the 76ers offering them for McGrady + spare part? It doesn't seem like it.

8. DaDakota

KT for Dalambert straight up doesn't work.

Nor does KT/Nocioni for him...they need to move pieces around to make it work.

DD

9. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

It almost does, Sac just has to throw in a Sean May or Sergio Rodriguez.

10. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Bima dead? Ow no.....

Okay jokes aside, its very surprising that everyone works with the assumption that rox will be working under the lux tax when there is a statement saying Les is willing to go over it(with the right players of course), and another one recently clearly stating that Rox is 1 of the few teams that is willing to take in more salary. Couple with the fact that Yao is another expiring contract, if things do not goes as plan, there is an option to go below the lux tax the next season.

Another assumption about the economy downturn will results in a drop of the salary cap. I have no idea hows the economy there in America, but with the stabilization of petrol as well as food products, economy here in my country have basically return to normal. That report from NBA that they expect salary cap to drop is almost half a year ago. Did things change?

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Great thread and EXCELLENT points all around. The obvious underlying theme here is: how willing Les is to go over the luxury tax threshold. The answer to that question changes EVERYTHING with regards to how we plan on tackling this McGrady situation. In any event, we have no choice but to support whatever decision he makes. Great owner that's opened up his checkbook when others haven't. I will fully understand if he elects to play it conservative and avoids the LT, however I agree fully with what JayZ750 was getting at that the championship caliber teams all seem to have one thing in common: they overspend. That's just not my decision to make, though.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Do you not see the irony in this statement? ;)

DD, you're KILLING me here (no pun intended with the thread title). How do you equate being able to explain the salary cap implications of various proposed deals with being unimaginative? Knowing the salary cap is exactly what ALLOWS me to be imaginative while still being grounded in reality.

Since I know I'll never be able to "out-post" you, I'll just end my side of this debate right now. I think you like being a big wig on this BBS. When guys like CH and I repeatedly provide detailed explanations as to why your proposals for guys like Iguodala and Dalembert are just not feasible for Les Alexander and the Rockets, you seem to think that the only appropriate response is to accuse us of being unimaginative or, worse, unable to think about anything other than numbers.

I'm sure you'll have about 2 or 3 witty/insulting responses to this, but I won't be responding further to your attacks on what I can and can't do when it comes to looking at the bigger picture.

Don't worry, though. We can still be friends. :grin:

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

This is a good thread CH, but this is the same thing I said in another thread when deckard and the backstabber said i would be the worse gm ever! The only thing i said is if the rockets think Iggy is a special player that can help them win a title in the next 3 yrs, then lowry and scola will be replaced with guys like will conroy and josh powell types. Also mentioned was trading battier for a te. If this situation presents itself which I'm not sure it will, thats a real discussion you have to make. The lakers prior to winning a ring in the shaq/kobe era traded van excel,eddie jones, and elden campbell for glen rice because they felt rice was the best option and they wanted nve gone also. It worked and they won a title with rice.

There comes a time when even ichiro gets a fastball down the middle and tries to knock the cover off the ball. At some point the nickle and diming will give way to a big money prize. I guess we will have to wait and see if morey can do it.

14. DaDakota

Ok first...I have NEVER said get Dalambert, I have always said flip him to Sacremento......

I appreciate the knowledge of the cap, I understand it too....

But there are a lot of ways that teams exceed the cap and then work to get under it at the deadline.

Granted, not with contracts as big as Dalambert's but again...I am not SAYING we get him....lol....unless...we can somehow trade Ariza too....

:)

PEACE brother.

DD

15. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

If they were, would you make that trade? I know I would.

16. Sooner423

To build on what JayZ said earlier, by my calculations, if the Rockets traded McGrady for Iggy and Dalembert, and re-signed Scola at 8 mill per and Lowry at 4 mill per, and picked up the option on Hayes, their payroll would be ~78.4 mill before a draft pick for the 2010-2011 season. According to Hoopshype, that would be good for somewhere between 8th and 9th in payroll for this season.

Considering the Rockets are one of the most profitable teams in the league, it doesn't seem like too much to ask for one season of spending. The next season, Yao, Dalembert and Battier all come off the books, so they'll be comfortably below the LT line with money to possibly re-sign Yao, Brooks and Landry.

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Why in the world would you give scola 8m when landry is the better player and younger?

18. DaDakota

Because Landry is the better offensive player, but not the better overall player.

He is younger though.

DD

19. Sooner423

How much do you think he will command in free agency? What would you pay? Big men with his production usually make good money.

20. DaDakota

I think the contracts and the amounts are going to go down for a few years.....Scola probably gets about what Ariza gets.....

The only difference is that Luis is worth it....

DD