1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BimaThug] how the rockets can avoid the tax while signing buyout guys

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I wish I was as broke as Fertitta...

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Wow, what an impressive feat of basketball team personnel management ! Can't wait to see the results on the court of all of these...acquisitions.....

Can the NBA just go to hard cap of 150 million with a guaranteed minimum, no bird rights, no nothing?

I know they can't but that seems like a much better way than this nonsense. Capology doesn't really need to be a thing.

snowconeman22 and gmoney411 like this.
  3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Its the repeater tax not the luxury tax Tilman is worried about. To delay the repeater tax the rockets needs to be under the luxury tax line this year. Did everyone forget Les always forcing Morey to get under the luxury tax year in and year out?

Now I am going to judge Tilman as a cheap owner if in the next 2-3 years where the repeater tax is not a threat and he doesnt go over the luxury tax to add talent around Harden/Capela/CP3

For all the talk about the Warriors they are about to go to Repeater tax hell next season which is why there is a lot of speculation that they may need to let someone walk. (I doubt Boogie stays there myself)

Now I ask myself this: Do I go over the luxury tax this year when Golden State has their big 5 + Iggy to try to add talent that may not put us over that team and be in the repeater tax the next few years when GS is also in the Repeater Tax. Its going to be even more costly to add talent next year and the year after that.

OR

Go under the luxury tax this year knowing I can still compete against GS but like the other 29 NBA teams be at a talent deficient

THEN next season be able to add more talent without fear of the repeater tax but GS will have to deal with the repeater tax

GS next year could be without Boogie - they could be without KD as well. With the Repeater tax and Klay's max (I remember seeing reports saying he was going to stay in the bay but he wants the max he knows taking less money doesnt give the team more flexibility it just saves the owners money) the year after they may sign Draymond to a max but they could be fully incapable to further add talent because of the repeater tax.

Again if Tillman doesnt go over the luxury tax to add talent next couple of seasons when winning a title is a bit more reasonable assuming the financial constraints of Golden State and the potential of Durant leaving then I would lead the mob with my pitchfork towards the Toyota Center. Right now though its a bit early to lay judgement.

IvanLCPM, dlite316, T-2 and 10 others like this.
  4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Can someone explain to me how Clint's "make WCF" incentive is considered likely at this moment in time?

5. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

If Bima's math is correct [which it almost always is], it seems we could just sign a vet min and a 10-day contract on Feb 21st, and then bring back House beginning of March... kinda what he said but without waiting until game 82 to bring back House lol

This is all contingent on Capela's incentives but we are by no means rooting for him not to meet his goals. One of them is basically already out of reach.

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

These are the goals I like to cheer for!

Ya!!! Forget trying to win basketball games. Getting under the luxury tax is so intriguing.

jerryclark likes this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

What bugs me about us having to worry about the repeater tax (and thus trying to hard to avoid the luxury tax this year) is that Golden State makes so damn much money they don't even care.

Now Gortat is getting bought out and wants to sign there to be Boogie's f%$king backup, likely because he knows Boogie will leave this summer and he may get that starting gig.

Meanwhile, we're in "wait and see who's still around in a couple of weeks" mode.

jerryclark and don grahamleone like this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

A player who would sign a 10-day contract or one who's available just before the season is over is not so much a player as a practice body. That strategy details the ability to sign 1 valuable player only.

9. Louka

There's no way they retain the same starting roster next season. It would be TAX HELL for them. Boogie and Klay taking the max next year... and KD is worried about how he's perceived... making less than Steph likely doesn't sit well with him. Barring injury (coming soon), he won't opt in. He'll ask for the super max.

10. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

This is the most depressing thread I’ve read in this site since the Yao Ming retirement thread. How has it come to this. It makes me think the next few years will be like this

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You can't ask yourself this without repeating what you spent to get there: 2019 FRP, Melton, 2020 SRP, 2022 SRP, Cash to buy 2019 picks, and full use of 2019 MLE, in return for Shumpert.

You gave up a lot of trade assets there to get under the tax this year.​

Now, please explain what spending next year you'll do that you wouldn't have already done. You only get the mini-MLE, and your core talent is locked up on contracts already. There are no players with Bird Rights. You only have vet Min and mini-MLE to spend.

And you have no 2019 draft picks at all.

What is this mythical spending we can do next year? Snap out of it. There is no spending we can do, that we wouldn't otherwise have to do. And if your mythical spending includes a fantasy of landing Star/Superstar Trades (like Butler this year) requiring a future payday -- well, Tilman says he would have paid Repeater for Superstars....it would be spending that we'd do regardless.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Someone call Le$$ to shake up his Chinese shoe contacts

PROBLEM SOLVED

13. Louka

Cause we can beat anybody with our current roster, as we've done to the Warriors 2 out of 2 times this season. Granted playoffs are different from regular season but, outside of the warriors, I don't see a team that can beat us in the West when we're healthy.

Can we get to that two or three seed and potentially avoid the Warriors until the WCF? I think so.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You just aren't understanding it.

The 10 day contract isn't for the player we want to sign for the rest of the season, it's a scrub who fills the roster for a few days while we wait for Kieff hypothetically.

joshuaao, YOLO and heypartner like this.
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

That's why SOMEbody has to beat them in the playoffs this year. I want those smug chumps to forever be known as The Dynasty That Never Happened.

Louka likes this.
  16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Likely vs Unlikely is clearly defined. There is no subjectivity or judgement involved.
    • Likely Bonus = it happened the year prior
    • Unlikely Bonus = it did not happen the year prior
    • This status is reset upon completion of each year

• Also, keep in mind the Likely Status only matters during the season to evaluating how far below the cap you are for spending, and Apron, as well, should a Hard Cap apply.

#156 heypartner, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    ClutchCityReturns and Kim like this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Another one bites the dust.

Vivi likes this.
  18. Louka

That is what we all want!

topfive likes this.
  19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Absolutely and it's not like we couldn't have used those assets next year to get out of the LT then .

One quick point . If we do manage to stay under the LT this season , don't we get the 9 mil MLE vs the mini one ?

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Rockets are 7-3 in their last 10 without Capela. We would be absolutely rolling right now if he was out there and have picked up Faried who’s playing lights out.

Relax. Rockets GS WCF