1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BimaThug] how the rockets can avoid the tax while signing buyout guys

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 8, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

haha pretty much my thoughts in my previous reply to you.

justtxyank likes this.
  2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This was so hilarious that I had to make a James Ennis "appreciation thread".

The bitterness was so sweet!

The Cat likes this.
  3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

We were up 3-2 in Game 5... which means we won at least one game on the road (which was Game 4).

The West is too tight to worry about playoff seeding at this point, right now being in the top 5-6 teams would be enough for the Rockets to accomplish their goal... which coincidentally they're still top 5 at this moment, even with the trade (or non-trade) fracas this deadline has caused on this board.

YOLO likes this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Done. Here's to hoping I'll owe $100 lol!

AroundTheWorld and FLASH21 like this.
  5. juanm34

juanm34 Member

I hope Capela hits all his incentives!

#EatAtLandrys
    #LoseItAllAtTheNugget

6. vick

vick Member

Tilman has a 140 foot play boat. Why not sell it? You gave 20m to University of Houston basketball . 10m to Houston Police, 2.2b for the Rockets. Now you can't fund your Basketball team. Looks like you need to sell something.

7. smp

smp Member

I don't think home court is that big of an issue with this team. It would be nice to have, but not at the expense of limping into the playoffs tired and injured. There has to be some balance there. GS learned that the season they set the record for regular season wins but lost in the Finals.

I think it's just going to be as simple as live by the three or die by it. Hit them and we win. Miss them and we are done. I don't trust our defense this year so as soon as we go cold shooting, that's when the season ends.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Either we do this THIS YEAR or Next year

Rocket River

9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Is this 15th the rest of the way, or ending the season at 15th overall? In order for us to end the season at 15th overall we would have to have a drtg of 102.3 the rest of the way, which is not really possible, the best defensive team in the league right now is at 103.7 drtg.

10. justtxyank

From now to the end of the year, so we can put 2/9 as the start date in the filter.

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That's a ridiculous statement. You always want home court advantage. The Rockets p-ssed it away in 1993 and lost a heartbreaking Game 7 in OT on the road in Seattle. They played their asses off to get the 2nd seed in 2015 and their reward was Game 7 at home against the Clippers. Of course there are exceptions. The Rockets won Game 7 at Phoenix in 1995. They lost Game 7 at home in 2007 and 2018.

But to act like home court in at least the first round is no big deal is absurd. You really think they're gonna win on the road against Portland, OKC, Denver, and/or Golden State?

12. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

If you look at things a bit deeper, they really aren’t that bad. First, other than Matthews, who chose Indiana because he’s going to slide into Oladipo’s starting spot, there isn’t a buyout candidate the Rockets would want by Feb. 21 (no thanks on Kanter or Gortat). Plus, because of the All-Star Break, the Rockets only have three games before Feb. 21.

13. justtxyank

Yeah home court matters. Not sure being at Toyota Center matters as much as NOT being at the other team's building lol.

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Oh sh**!

[​IMG]

Pretty ballsy of you both. Obviously, I'm rooting for @YOLO on this one.

justtxyank likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

the only team that still is the team to beat is GS. Portland-you mean the same team that lost to AD and the pelicans, OKC-you mean the same team that lost to a rookie led utah jazz team, Denver-you mean the team that Houston just pretty much owns since jokic became a starter.

Relax. hca is not that dramatic. and certaintly outside of GS, those teams arent some powerhouse that hou can't beat without hca. the sky isnt falling

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Buy-out doesn't? Didn't know that.

(Let's get together and discover all we don't know. Got plenty of time?)

Mathloom likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol nah. I'm not even against @justtxyank The rockets are absolutely going to need make a significant improvement in their defense, if they're going to make a deep run. I think they will to a degree and was just curious what the turnaround would qualify as. It seemed we were pretty much on the same page in that regard

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Yes against Portland, OKC, and Denver. Obviously not against Golden State but that would mean we'd be an 8th seed, which contradicts my last post (top 5-6 at the least).

HCA is nice to have but with a "veteran" team like the Rockets, health takes priority over HCA.

Again, you need to relax. We're barely to the All-Star break (next week) and you already have your panties in a bunch about HCA and Clint Capela's incentives at the END of the season.

[​IMG]

don grahamleone and YOLO like this.
  19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The CBA doesn't allow restructuring salary downwards.

This was a Player's Union demand so that owners could never pressure players to take paycuts mid-contract... Union wanted the Amnesty Provision and Stretch Provision. Owners also didn't really like the idea of allowing competitors to essentially get out of bad contracts without a clean-separation buyout.

#119 heypartner, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  20. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Thanks! At work and can't read twitter.

justtxyank likes this.