1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BimaThug] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: 2018 Offseason Pre-Draft Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jun 2, 2018.

1. aroundtheblock2

Nope.

jevjnd and JoeBarelyCares like this.
  2. basketballholic

Do not want to dump Capela. Want to extract machining value possible. And Lebron AND George together is the max value I can think of. K?

3. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Wait - you think somehow Lebron and George can be traded here if we dangle Capela and Gordon? Who's taking the paycut?

4. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

It feels like Capela is the one we will sacrifice to move Anderson and Gordon. Hopefully we can pick up Deandre Jordan on the cheap.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  5. aroundtheblock2

Why does it feel like that? There have been no reports this is the case and nothing in the past to make this seem like the case.

This feels like last summer where everyone was trying to push good quality players out of the door for melo despite the fact there was nothing to suggest we'd give up those good quality players. A bunch of you would barely survive as a video game roster manager.

6. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Not a fan of Deandre. Such a low iq defender , even 10 years into the league. I don’t like having to see someone constantly get coached on the floor. Deandre is the type of player capable of pulling a JR Smith on us in the finals

lionaire likes this.
  7. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Sure there’s been no reports, this is just speculating. I think it was Tilman Fertita that said that our priority was to sign CP3 and “hopefully” or something like that resign/keep Capela. And that got me thinking...

We could easily keep Capela if we wanted to, but if it means we get Lebron then that changes things. I’m starting to feel like we may have to give up Capela and picks to move Anderson. Maybe somehow along the way we can keep Gordon, we need shooters afterall.

If you think about it we almost didn’t even play Capela against the Warriors so maybe we can plug in a cheaper player in his spot. But who knows we’ll see how it plays out.

Sanity2disChaos likes this.
  8. basketballholic

It all depends.

But if we somehow got both all three of Paul, Lebron, and George would likely have to take a haircut.

The only possibility of getting then both here is one has to be traded here before the moratorium and the other traded here after the moratorium. Because we'll have to use Capela in a sign-and-trade if we plan on keeping PJ and trading for both of them... .which I'm pretty sure we want to keep PJ.

I'll settle for just one of them if we can keep PJ and get rid of Anderson. And the Anderson, Gordon, picks, assets, other contracts scenario for both George and Melo has a lot of merit. Which means George and Lebron could have merit. Memo hours to Cavs with young assets and cash.....gets bought out. Gordon, Anderson, one pick, another asset to OKC, etc. Capela signed and traded. There's merit to a big deal like that after the moratorium. Once again, if the teams agree, and if Paul cooperates by taking a one-year cut salary.

And it's possible to acquire Lebron before July and then back into a second deal for George using Capela in a sign and trade to possibly a third team. But that gets very complicated. Would most likely involve George opting in, taking a leap of faith that they will move him to the Rockets. So very unlikely.

Must likely scenarios:

1. Straight up deal with Cleveland before moratorium for Lebron.

2. Sign LeBron outright after the moratorium to a one year deal at around 30 million.

3. And this is the doozy. Lebron actually opts in after raising came about wanting to leave. And then he forced his way out of after the moratorium.

Noe, #3 would involve LeBron becoming a huge jackass with Gilbert.

My suspicion is if LeBron wants out that cooler heads will prevail and he'll be a Rocket.before July 1. Gilbert will act like a clown but I think he gives in. HOWEVER.... I wouldn't put anything past Gilbert. He's nuts.

9. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Bima - if we moved Ryno and Capella (sign and trade) somewhere could we take back LeBron at $35 million per in a sign and trade after July 1st, and still be under the apron? Also, assume we also pay max to CP3.

10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

You're suggesting that we can acquire Lebron, PG13 and resign CP3?

How do you propose to do that?

11. aroundtheblock2

Why is everyone rushing to get rid of Capela? Yet again folks running to the secondary options before trying the first option.

We still have to see who even offers Capela the max .

Gorilladunks likes this.
  12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

That’d be tough. Hard cap issues would make it difficult to build a roster around those guys. An opt-in-and-trade continues to look much more plausible. They can always agree in June and then consummate it in July.

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

@BimaThug

Looking at spotrac data, couldn't the Hawks effectively absorb Anderson's contract (along with sweeteners like Miami's 2nd Rounder this year and a future 1st) and we then generate a Traded Player Exception of about 20 million? If so, couldn't Morey then acquire a bunch of non-guaranteed deals using the TPE and use those players + Eric Gordon in a trade for LeBron? This could effectively shed another $20 million or so from the Cavs' salary cap for next year.

13BeardsIN1 likes this.
  14. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

You have to guarantee a contract in full in order for the full salary amount to count towards the trade.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It his new TJ jones.

DD

bulkatron likes this.
  16. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

I think Morey want Lebron and George together. So he needs to move Capela to make it happen.
    DAJ is the plan to replace Capela. Cheaper and wants Houston.
    Only 2 persons know how to make all this can happen: Morey and Bima.

Paul
    Harden
    George
    Lebron
    Jordan

17. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

With us having CP3s bird rights, would we have to trade for Bron before signing CP3?

1. Anderson + Gordon for Bron either by Bron picking up option or SnT
    2. Sign CP3

18. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Timing doesn't matter since you are not using cap space but instead trading.

Lebron opting in and being traded here is what we need. A sign and trade for a player hard caps you immediately. We wouldn't be able to fit both lebron and CP3 beneath the apron unless we shed other salary like Capela.

t0mdotcom likes this.
  19. Sanity2disChaos

So basically it’s Capela and Ryno on the move or EGO and Ryno.... I’d give up Capela in a heartbeat to keep EGO.

20. Sanity2disChaos

There’s a guy name Noel I’d like to get my hands on..... definitely a dark Horse replacement for Capela. I really don’t understand how many feel Capela is untouchable!! It’s laughable to someone who knows he can totally be replaced at a lower cost.