1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Billy Wagner rips former Phillies teammates

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bobrek, May 8, 2006.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

We needed that win.

2. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

Once again, DaDakota is so, so correct!

It's just about time to cut the cancer. I love the guy, but damn. The time is creeping closer, quicker than you'd think.

If his numbers don't improve drastically by the all-star break, & he shows that he can once again achieve a degree of dominance ... he'll be gone.

He'll be packaged, just as Dotel was. Lots of people will want him. Perhaps new surroundings are what's best? Sucks, but 'tis true.

Just don't get ripped off in return. I wouldn't cry if Wheeler was given a shot, but his aim is also suspect at times.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I thought we should have traded Lidge in the offseason. Now that they are stuck and he's only worth pennies on the dollar, the Astros must be patient and give him the chance to turn it around (not necessarily as the closer right now).

4. msn

msn Member

I don't buy that. I don't buy the "head case" argument, either.

Dude's location is off. It happens to a lot of pitchers. Of course Garner yanked him, he was about to walk the game away.

5. msn

msn Member

I had this thought yesterday. If he lands us a Beltran (or a Tejada, perhaps?), I'm all for it. Not that I'd call him a "cancer".

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

We can have all the offense in the world... but this team won't get better without more consistent starting pitching, and a solidified bullpen.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Jim Deshaies brought up an interesting point, he said you could take an average Major league pitcher and put him in the closers role and they would succeed 75% of the time.

He said that you get to the elite level by having a 90% save rate. Lidge has been in the elite level for a while, but right now, his control has moved him down to average (at best).

Something ain't right, and he has to figure it out, or I also agree, he will be traded. You can't demote him, there is no coming back from that.

DD

8. msn

msn Member

Agreed. Part of me is hoping that Clemens does come back and that Pettitte becomes Pettitte. Adding Buchholz to that bullpen may be a shot in its arm.

9. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

And with a three run an average pitcher will get the save 95% of the time and an elite closer 97.5%. The fact that Wheeler had to bail him out in the easiest save situation is telling.

I was mocked earlier for calling Lidge Wild Thing II. I really was just joking, but check this out:

Mitch Williams 1994
    IP ---- H -- BB -- WHIP
    20 --- 21 -- 24 -- 2.25

Brad Lidge 2006
    IP ----- H -- BB --- WHIP
    16.2 ---17 -- 16 -- 1.98