1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Billionaire Tilman Fertitta Buys Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Sep 5, 2017.

1. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

More attractive than Les but to be fair I don't know what Les looked like at Tilman's age.

#122 Haymitch, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    BabyClutch, tmactoyao, Caesar and 2 others like this.
  3. Pete the Cheat

hopefully this dbag gives us the golden nugget treatment, and not the brown noise he turns all of his restaurant ventures into

4. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I really hope Fertitta was told how much the luxury tax will be next year when we retain CP3, Ariza, and hopefully Melo. Essential that Les found someone ready to spend the big bucks in the foreseeable future.

5. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I would say Beyonce would be the most attractive owner. She looks amazing in a Rockets jersey, but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

6. MVP4THREE

MVP4THREE Member

i said "probably". anyway, i'll gladly eat crow it's not like i didnt want him to buy the team just thought he probably couldn't. thread got banned so need to bring it up again honestly. but yes, you can pretend to be the best poster on clutchfans some more if you'd like.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He knows. Doesn't mean he'll want to pay it.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Why does it matter that he didn't build everything Landry's Corp has become solely on 5-star restaurants? He builds and acquires profitable businesses. They're not world-class restaurants but they are ones that people like to go to...a lot. That doesn't make him less valuable as a businessman.

Mazulis likes this.
  9. jwayne

jwayne Member

10. bawanyh

bawanyh Member

I really dont care who the new owner is, as long as this new owner really thinks about making the team better and winning championships, thats all it matters

bmd likes this.
  11. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I'm very, very concerned about this. Fertitta just paid over half of his net worth for this team.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. mrm32

mrm32 Member

At the very least this means now we'll have better overpriced food in the arena as opposed to bad overpriced food, right?

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The food court is going to be better

Mazulis and FTW Rockets FTW like this.
  15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That's debatable

16. Fantasma Negro

Do we know if its just him or did he bring his cuzzos in on it too?

17. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Its just him.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Good

DonKnock and Ziggy like this.
  20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Too late now.

But short answer yes.

Long answer spoiled below:

at this point I do still think it'd be a faster way to an ultimate championship.

More than happy for the CP3 trade and DM has done his usual job of decently filling in the holes.

If Carmelo comes for just Ryan Anderson (or via buyout... even better) then I'll think there's potentially a legit shot only because it's three guys who would be SO different from the GSW system.

The Rockets are going to win a lot of regular season games... but I'm not even close to crowning them champions when they have a guy who can't get out of the second round and a guy who always flops in the playoffs eventually....

Given what they paid for Kyrie... could the Rockets could have gotten 17 and 18 Nets picks plus Avery Bradley, Crowder and maybe even IT? Definitely possible. And MDA can take that team to the second round no problem and they'd have crazy future upside.

Or tank and end up with two top lotto picks next offseason in what will be the best draft class in a while. Yes give me 3 of Fultz/Ball/Tatum/Porter Jr/Doncic/Bagley

remember though my points which lead me to this conclusion and still pretty much haven't changed:
    - its Warriors world. Even more so now. They've quietly gotten even better
    - Hardens doesn't play defense
    - as the team leader that's a problem
    - Hardens game is too reliant on volume 3 point shooting at what is now just ok efficiency in the NBA
    - Hardens game is too reliant on FTA
    - Harden is too turnover prone
    - All of the above combine to result in Harden eventually flopping in one way or another in an important game or series in the playoffs. Flop is subjective... but he plays at a meaningful lower level or a crappy level

The only thing that's changed this far is the team added CP3.... which ... add talent when you can but nobody was saying let's get CP3 he'll fitngreat with James, lol.

TBD - how will they fit? Who will be he natural team leader? Will CP3 hold James accountable defensively and turnover wise? Will James put any effort into off ball movement? Can CP3 lead a team out of the second round? Can An MDA team give more than lip service to the concept of good defense? Will CP3 stay in Houston? Etc. etc.

It will definitely be an exciting season to watch so that's good. I just still don't see a championship in their future with Harden as the #1 guy.

I like CP3 and his impact on the game and winning more than Harden... but I can't overlook the fact that CP3 also fails every year in the playoffs and has a tendency to overdribble, micro manage and run some teammates the wrong way. [/quote]