1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Worrell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 5, 2008.

Tags:
  1. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

take that for what it's worth because 610 is awful now.

2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Worrell makes the game unwatchable at times. He whines way too much about the refs and bad calls.

3. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I always heard he was a baseball player - someone said he was a catcher at UH

He used to do color at Astros games - not play by play - and was really good.

Given that he has to work with Clyde (i.e. handle both color at PbP) 41 nights a year, I would suspect that he earns the money he makes and the right to be an A-hole sometimes

4. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Looks like the campaign to fire Worrell has started, I hear.

5. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

anybody that has league pass knows that bill (DESPITE CLYDE) is one of the best.

be careful what you wish for cause there's some pretty awful announcers out there, radio and tv.

unfortunately i'm in dallas and listening to/watching the mavericks' crews at times has really made me appreciate the rockets' guys (SANS CLYDE). it's not even a comparison.

6. axaznshortyxa

axaznshortyxa Member

You talk about Bill whining way too much.. Try listening to Matt. Even worse.

7. MandM's

MandM's Member

Wow. That Bill, what a guy.

I'm getting teary eyed.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I can't believe some of the crap I'm reading. Bill should be given a contract extension and a raise, as well as a broadcast partner who isn't a millstone around his neck. And I couldn't care any less about his personal life.

9. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Amen. You can tell he grins through his frustration while working with Matt/Clyde. Bill is a fixture in Houston and he should be. Personally I loved the dialogue and chemistry between him and Calvin, and I miss it. But still today, people don't realize how good we have it. There aren't too many team announcers better than Bill Worrell.

10. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I miss Calvin... :(

11. shsu33

shsu33 Member

I never knew he played baseball for UH. In the 94-95 season the rox were playing the Pacers in Indiana. Reggie faked a 3 and Hakeem jumped, when Reggie realized Dream wasn't gonna foul him Reggie put his elbow in him. The ref called the offensive foul on Miller and all hell broke loose in Indy. OT came over to Bill and Calvin giving them change that was being thrown on the court. Bill said something about when he was a boxer and having to worry about change being thrown in the ring. I can't imagine Bill being a boxer, maybe he was a broadcaster at boxing matches. Does anyone else remember him saying that? I know its been 13 years but if u watched that game u should remember it well.

12. Drizno

Drizno Rookie

He actually called a few of Mike Tyson's early fights before he won the Heavyweight Championship...

13. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Indeed! It's the "hey wha happened?" of 2008.

14. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Bill Worrell is actually his broadcast "stage" name. His real name is Bill Brasky. He can be inserted into any Chuck Norris joke, and it still be an accurate statement. He also has a toe-nail on the end of his magic stick.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Bill is a class act on air and certainly one of the best in the business.

16. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

God I love Bill Worell threads.

17. Bigmarky

Bigmarky Member

You know what truly amazes me:

People who whine about BW, when honestly BW & CM were the best on screen DUO ever, stfu and gtfo (Bw does a great job on whatever sport/event he's announcing for but nothing competes with his duo)

Here's my best comparison i can try and relate:

Remember when the Rockets were finally getting on national TV w/o being in the playoffs

Do you recall the nbc announcers trying to make the calls; besides the obvious bias and bigotry we actually had to leave every tv game on mute then turn on the radio for Gene to handle the calls

Calvin Murphy + BW for life man

18. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

bill is great and all and definitely a staple, but personally, i would tune into gene peterson and jim foley anyday over the tv broadcasters.

i remember like 15 years ago, my neighbor in Clear Lake was a cop and told me BW was pulled over for DUI.

19. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Bill Worrell is the man and the voice of the Rockets. He's been around since before I can remember, he been there threw all the ups and downs and it would truly be a sad day for Rockets fans if we ever lost him. And IMO, I miss Calvin Murphy, he brought real excitement to the games. :p

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I remember that game, but not the comment. Calvin was a gold glove boxer so maybe he was talking about him.

Worrell is one of the best in the business. Like others have said, until you hear some of the other local morons from other NBA cities, you don't know how good we have it.