1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Worrell has got to go.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lightningferron, Apr 22, 2012.

Tags:
  1. tomato

tomato Member

I can't remember anymore, but he said something really extreme at one point, followed by complete silence by Bullard, and then chuckled at himself. It reinforces my belief that Bill Worrell MUST STAY

2. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

I like Bill Worrell.

3. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

Bill is the man. I never, ever want another announcer.

When I watch my rockets, my emotions are running high. I don't want to hear about how the refs are doing a good job, etc. I love his homerism, I love when he rips on the refs. I love how nostalgic the sound of his voice is.

I watched the game on league pass last night and had to suffer thru the clips announcers - such obvious homers - that I yearned for Bill and the Bull.

4. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I don't think he should go, but he does have a lot of face-palm moments. Last night he gave the wrong score a handful of times, congratulated Garcia on a defensive play that Parsons made, etc.

5. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

Amen, lets kick the OP out instead of Bill.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I support Bill. He's a Houston Legend.

(even if every once in awhile he say's some head scratching things)

Also if you listened to the extreme homerism from almost every other broadcast (Clippers, and Jazz were HORRIBLE) you'd agree to accept a little homerism on OUR END as well.

Who cares if he's a homer.... seriously... the rest of the NBA hates the Rockets. Better enjoy it while it lasts cause it wont be around forever.

7. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Bill Worrell is one of the few constants in my life.

When I was a kid, in the early 90s, Bill Worrell announced the teams of Kenny, Vernon, and Hakeem. He announced the championship years. He was there for me in college during the Barkley era. Years later, when I moved to New York and could get NBA League Pass, I was delighted to find Worrell again there for me, as always, now announcing the Yao era.

In my life I have had many jobs, apartments, in girlfriends. But only one man has been the main announcer for the team I love.

Is he often puzzled, inaccurate, and biased? Absolutely.

And I love him for it.

8. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

The Clippers announcers were terrible. Just about unlistenable.

9. hangandrew

hangandrew Member

I don't have any problems with Bill Worrell! I think he's a good announcer imo! But that's just me lol

10. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

That Mike Smith guy is ridiculous :rolleyes:

11. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I like Bill Worrell but my only problem with him is that he is such a homer.

12. dobro1229

2nd that. They were horrible. League pass is one thing (you should expect to have to deal with home announcers every once in awhile), but NBATV is more than capable of either having non-bias announcers call the game either in person or from the studio, or sending a memo to the home announcers letting them know this broadcast will be national so please respect the audience outside of the home fanbase.

13. dobro1229

That's not a problem IMO. Almost every other team has homer announcers. The ones that aren't usually are for teams that suck. If a team like the Clippers can have trash announcers like they have on national broadcasts than Bill should be more than able to show a little homerism on Houston-only broadcasts.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Without reading another word of this Thread, 'Hell no, he don't go!' Clyde? That's another story.

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Did you actually watch the game? The first quarter was the worst officiated 12 minutes I've ever seen in my life. I mean, it was 2002 Lakers-Kings Game 6 bad. Dwight Howard got his third foul -- sidelining him for the entire half -- for literally standing there as Blake Griffin backed into him.

I love Bill because he's willing to do what most aren't: try and help the situation by holding officials accountable for their mistakes. The NBA would be a much better place if there were more announcers like Bill.

16. bmd

bmd Member

And they would tell NBA TV to go screw themselves.

NBATV is simply picking up the feed from the local station. They have no right to tell the local channel how to call the game.

17. bmd

bmd Member

Plus, it doesn't matter that the local broadcasters are homers. It is expected. It's not a national broadcast, so there is no need to be unbiased. It's a Houston broadcast for Houstonians. It's not in bad taste to be a homer for those broadcasts.

It is a misconception that all announcers must be unbiased or they are not doing their job correctly. That isn't the case with local broadcasts. Only for national broadcasts like ESPN, NBC, ABC, etc, is it proper etiquette.

18. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Get off Bills nuts and leave him alone. He's like our Bob Barker minus the alleged sexual harassment.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Anyone who thinks that the Rockets broadcasters are "too homerish" would feel much better if they watched the Clippers broadcast last night. Or the Dallas broadcast a few night ago.

As you watch league pass you begin to see that this kind of ref-hatred is common. I agree that it goes too far, however I also like that the broadcasters genuinely want the hometown team to win.

20. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Bill is not the worst.. Does he have to go right away? No
    Are there better candidates out there? yes

I hope this is Bill's last or second last season, he has done an excellent job but he seems to be getting stale, prioritizing gimmicky comments (like his catchphrases) at every opportunity, sometimes at the expense of quality play calling. Otherwise he will hark back to the good ol' days with Clyde and Bull too much IMO
    Honestly, our entire commentary crew need to be refreshed. Bull might still be around, but he will have even less of a role than he does now. Certainly won't be the traveling analyst.

But to put things into perspective, listen to the LAC crew after the loose ball foul by Griffin on Brooks. That makes Worrell look like a NBATV commentator