1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Worrell has got to go.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lightningferron, Apr 22, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Sandi

Sandi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Totally agree....Bill Worrell is one of the very best in the League. Have you complainers ever listened to some of the other teams' announcers? Most of them have zero to little knowledge about players who aren't on their team(and don't even bother to learn how to correctly pronounce names of opposing teams players)....but that doesn't always stop them from making ludicrous comments.

2. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Honestly, I can't think of anyone who I would want to replace Bill with. Cue the, how replaceable is Bill Worrell thread....

3. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

I wouldn't mind seeing another game with those red blazers, I really like them!

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Hey sandi. You should post more

5. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

BW will CONSISTENTLY make me laugh while I'm watching Rockets games. He's the man

6. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Exactly. Further, if you think Bill, Matt, and Clyde are Homers....you should really listen to other commentators. During my League Pass Days, sometimes I'd have to mute the volume and just watch the game. The Homerism was off the Charts!!

7. DustinS

DustinS Contributing Member

I will be very upset when Bill is no longer on the broadcast. I really would like to see Calvin and Bill back together. Clyde on the other hand...

8. Progs

Progs Member

Worrell is a fan like the rest of us. He really gets into the games and gets irritated when we turn the ball over or don't get a rebound. He may forget he is on air at times.

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Can't hate on the man with the fake tan and Daniel Craig eye's.

Ha, I've met him in person a few times and each time he seemed excited to talk to me. He is a great guy, and I couldn't imagine listening to anyone else on TV.

Homer he may be, but a Rocket fan is always good in my book and that is certainly what he is.

10. varughese.arun

Whoever made this thread "has to go". Bill is one of the MOST GENUINE commentators in the league. Have you heard the rest of the OVERTLY BIAS commentators, who are so blind to reality? Bill is not one of those KISS ASS commentators that praise their team regardless of the situation. He is brutally honest. I loved him for saying: " we have a lot of three point shpoters, but not many three point makers." That pretty much sums up Bills personality. I'll even go as far to say that Bill, and Calvin have "raised" many young adults from houston. Houstonians typically have a cool, and calm personality, but at the same time is not afraid to speak their mind. Learn from him boys...

11. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Bill just needs Murphy back beside him

1 person likes this.
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This thread keeps getting bumped and I still hate the title. At least the overwhelming number of posts here are in support of Bill, who is the Voice of the Rockets and should remain so, until such time as he feels the need to hang up his sneakers. In my humble opinion.

VIVA BILL!!

Indeed!

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

That would be cookie-liciously good; but, rather Clyde with Bill than no Bill. The man is aces!

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Seconded. Bill Worrell is a treasure. Period. It's going to suck when we hangs it up.

Bill is a homer, no doubt, but he's brutally honest too when things aren't going well. He also will let slip some information that isn't out there, like when he told us Terrence Jones would be out another month (and it's been longer than that). That was a shock at the time.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding. I'll never understand why some feel the need to slam a guy that they will miss terribly when he hangs them up. Hopefully at some date far into the future.

(I wish you'd consider changing the thread title to "Bill Worrell - What do you think about him?" or something of that nature. Most of the posts are saying good things about Bill.)

16. marky :)

marky :) Member

If Worrell leaves, I might have a late 20's life crisis because I grew up listening to him commentate and with him gone it'll hit me that I'm getting close to 30 and I don't think I can handle that. I already have trouble realizing that I'm older than Harden...

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm still adjusting to not hearing Gene and Jim on the radio. Ackerman is un-listenable (even though he's a fellow Bearkat).

18. vator

vator Contributing Member

I'm tired of all these get rid of Bill and Clyde posts. These guys are legends in Houston. Yes, Bill can't tell when a guy is behind the 3 point line anymore and gets players confused. Yes, Clyde is bad at his job and is like an mp3 player with only 5 songs on repeat, but I've learned that if I can't laugh with him to laugh at him. He has achieved drunk uncle status in my home. I watch the game to see the players play and whatever they add to the experience is just gravy. Calvin Murphy was really good at his job and I wouldn't mind seeing him back, but I've listened to a lot of other teams' local announcers and most of them aren't that great either.

They make me laugh every now and then, but I don't look for great analysis of the game. They are more like old fans of the team to me than anything else. It's like watching the game with a lifelong buddy that you know has a strong opinion about what he sees, but maybe doesn't put in the research or look at all the analytics like you do and at the end of the day, I'm fine with that.

1 person likes this.
  19. dkocich87

dkocich87 Member

I've always missed Calvin Murphy's voice next to Bill's. I think they complement each other so well in the kind voice the city of Houston needs for a nationally under-discussed and under-praised NBA team. They we're loud, exciting, off the cusp back then. Though we haven't always been a praise worthy-team, we've always had a lot of spirit and the Bill/Calvin combo displayed that. Our broadcast team now seems a little too "safe."

20. dkocich87

dkocich87 Member

Bill doesn't have to go, we just need CALVIN!