1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Worrell has got to go.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lightningferron, Apr 22, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Ol Bill Worrell

I'm here to stay.

2 people like this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Since this damn thread keeps getting bumped, mainly to praise Bill (bless 'em!), would changing the thread title be out of line? Maybe something along the lines of "Bill Worrell - What do you think about him?"

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

His job is to remain professional at all times. Leave the emotions to the fans or behind closed doors. He could be the reason people come here for the meltdown.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not sure what this even means.

The JOB of a television broadcaster is to present the game in an manner which fans find enjoyable to listen to. The job of a national broadcaster is to show no bias while doing that.

Why do fans feel like a hometown broadcaster has some obligation to be objective and without emotion when he calls a game?

2 people like this.
  5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

watching rockets games just hasn't been the same ever since the de-urbanization of the telecasts (when calvin got tossed)

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Derp? You proved my point in your second sentence. Bill likes to put salt on the wound. Matt cries about the refs like a bear is mauling him. That's enjoyable?

7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I agree with this. I'm also a fan of Bill W's.

Almost feel like I'm watching the game with a friend with some of the things he says.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think most people prefer their local broadcasters to be fans like they are.

Most on this site at least seem to like Bill's style. I don't remember any complaints about Drexler or Bullard from any numbers being about their homerism.

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Shocked at the love for Bill.

I will only listen to him if forced to. He is ignorant of basketball, and of the Rockets themselves. One of the biggest homers out there, and seems unaware of very basic things.

Shocked.

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Anybody notice a little something between Bill and Calvin. It seems postgame there is usually something going on between those two. Frankly at times Bill looks like a Calvin hater, sometimes gets caught making faces when he doesn't know the camera is watching. Or **** maybe he does idk. Just seems a bit of venom from those two especially coming from Bill.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's the play by play guy. It's the color guys who are supposed to provide analysis, not clichés and lame jokes

12. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

I think Bill Worrell is doing just fine. But on Clyde? I respect him as a player and a coach but play by play announcer? man he better shape up or I'll say find another thing to do! Sorry Clyde!

13. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Clydes comment about pissing guys off was hilarious. Bill and Matt stayed quiet after that comment for a few seconds.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Missed this one. What did he say?

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I've been watching Bill call Rockets games for as long as I can remember(early 80s when I was just a little kid watching sports with my Dad). I'l agree that he is a total pro and is by far the most TV polished of the 3 man team.

Is he getting a little long in the tooth? Yes. Would I like to see someone else in that seat? Yes - but Worrel is still a legend I believe he is approaching 70 now and I seem to recall a few years ago he said he only had about 3 more years left in him as an announcer so there may be some change on the horizon. Bill needs to go out on top rather than wait until he is too old and sorta forced to leave...that being said - if I were 70 and had been doing that job for as long as he has, I'm sure I would be really excited about this current team being so close to a contender and would want to continue to be a part of it until that happened. This Houston team has the most promise we have seen in a LONG time.

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I dread the day that Bill goes off the air, I hope it's not anytime soon! Won't be the same without him, he's a legend.

17. marky :)

marky :) Member

I think Bill stays as long as the Rockets seem to be contenders. Probably been dying to commentate deep in the playoffs like he did in the 90's. I think he'll be gone once we start going into rebuild mode. (hopefully not anytime soon :) )

18. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

I have it from a reliable source that his contract is not up until he goes bald (with a team option for "partially bald").

Bill has lost a step or two over time, but I like him.

19. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

laugh my head off at Bill introducing the home games as another game at the 'Jam-Packed' Toyota Centre......

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The job of a hometown broadcaster isn't to please 100% of people on an internet messageboard. There is no human capable of that in any capacity.