1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Worrell has got to go.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lightningferron, Apr 22, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I really don't mind bill and don't want him to go. It is, however, a fact that he makes some obvious mistakes. I mostly think these (like "first Jewish born NBA player" when there have been numerous Jewish NBA players, from Ossie Schectman to Jordan Farmar) are funny.

Local homer broadcasts are their own animal. Can't really compare them to the Jeff Van Gundy/Hubie Brown standard. Bill, Bull and Clyde are entertaining enough.

2. Chris Jent MVP

Why shouldn't they be homers? They travel with the team and cover all their games. They essentially ARE part of the team. Rockets sign their paychecks.

Calvin Murphy is the biggest homer of ALL TIMES and that's part of what makes him an amazing commentator.

Bullard is a little annoying, some of his bad habits have rubbed off on Bill. Drexler is missing more than a few screws. But overall they are a good team and I always watch the local broadcast over the national ones.

3. Chris Jent MVP

JVG and Hubie are great, but Mike Breen is just plain horrid. Overall it balances out to Bill and Bull standard.

Same with TNT - Kevin Harlan is awesome but Reggie and Steve are absolutely terrible. So it balances out.

4. amak316

amak316 Member

I don't get why local coverage has to have a cast of Homers. I appreciate neutral commentators, I feel like having people whining about bad calls and cheering openly for one side cheapens the whole broadcast. I remember watching a Rockets - Nuggets game last year and couldn't stop cringing at their absurd Homer announcers.

5. Chris Jent MVP

There isn't any.

They are always biased for big market teams and star players.

JVG is a rare exception. Of course he just happens to live in Houston and speaks favorably about the Rockets. Surely it's just a coincidence that Rockets fans like to hear JVG talk. Right?

Unbiased announcers are extremely rare. Grass is always greener on the other side, etc.

6. zhuchu

zhuchu Member

the Houston announcers are the most entertaining in the league. That's why I like them very much.

7. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Agree.
    this thread has to change his title: "Bill Worrell must stay"

8. Chris Jent MVP

Hometown announcers are half the fun of watching the game. You can tell that they really LOVE basketball and especially the Rockets.

I remember watching Chicago Bulls games on WGN during the Jordan era, And even watching youtube clips today - they seem bored out of their minds. They are calling for one of the best teams and players of NBA history, yet they talk as if they would rather be playing golf. I have to fight to stay awake while listening to those guys.

The old Boston Celtics announcers from the Bird-Mchale era are another group of homers that are legendary and entertaining. Full of enthusiasm for their team.

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sacrilegious!

Bill is a Houston institution and part of our identity.

I miss Gene, but you get rid of Bill and it's a 100% homogenized product.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I am a Houston Rockets fan and I want to hear the broadcast from a Houston Rockets perspective.

I hate when I am forced to listen to opposing broadcasts and they don't know what the hell they are talking about when they talk about our players because they are only spouting off the misinformed national opinion.

I've been listening to Bill Worrell since the 80's and I love his style. No he does not call the came from a neutral perspective and personally I do not want him to. I enjoy listening to a Rockets broadcast with Bill Worrell and it will be a very sad day when he is gone.

BTW, if you want to here a homer broadcast listen to Tommy Heinsohn of the Boston Celtics. He makes Bill sound like a neutral broadcaster.

11. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Bill has alzheimers sorry he needs to retire

12. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Do not agree.... " lightningferron " is the one who should go.

13. ILoveWhiteGirls

Houston and Boston are probably the most homerism broadcast team in the NBA. If I had to pick a favorite of the three from our hometown, it's Matt Bullard because his jokes are actually funny. Clyde and Bill, sometimes I have no clue what the joke is or it just sounds corny.

14. DreamRoxCoogFan

OP pretending to have watched Worrell for a long time...

15. jlowe362

jlowe362 Member

!!!!!!!!!!!

wtg!!!

16. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Love Bill Worrell, he's a homer but will call out the players who are not putting any effort. Also he's been on since I became a Rockets fan back in 1989 and been a part of the broadcast much longer than that. I'd much rather have a commentator like Bill than the who the Texans' have which they have by the balls where he has to defend all their players including matt Swab

17. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Baby Seals

Drexler and baby seals... do I need to say more? It's better than Bill Walton by a long shot.

18. Indaface

Indaface Member

Bill has been here since I was a kid watching the games on channel 20. Anyone hating on him has got to be younger than 20 or someone who just started watching the Rockets within the past 10 years.

I sure do miss me some Bill and Calvin.

19. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

one season of annoying doesnt take away the body of work he has done throughout his career. Making r****ded posts like this eventually gets read by people like Bill whos done nothing wrong but being a little biased for the home team.

20. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

After having to listen to so many away broadcast last year, I can say with certainty that the Houston announcers are in the top group of announcers in the league.

I like my announcers to be homers, that's the way it should be.