1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Bill Simmons Twitter] Yao's Expiring for Davis + #1?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HI Mana, Mar 10, 2011.

1. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Dunno if anyone looked at Bill Simmons' twitter, but he laid down a pretty interesting tweet today:

http://twitter.com/sportsguy33/status/45671847492190208

Now I don't know if this is Simmons merely speculating, like he did with posting that unbelievably bad J. O'neal/Battier swap, but with his connections to Morey, perhaps this was a real deal at the deadline? Honestly, I would think not, but there are a few factors that do make the scenario somewhat plausible:

1. IIRC, the Rockets were previously connected to B-Diddy a few seasons ago when they were trying to move T-Mac before and after his surgery.

2. Morey seemed to stress this deadline that the Rockets' greatest asset was their willingness to take on money, and that they were focusing on young, high potential players

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/1407/daryl-morey-qa/#more-1407

3. Financially, a swap of Davis/Rasual Butler for Yao's contract and DeMarre Carroll would have shaved about $3.5M off the salary commitments for this year, putting them safely under the luxury tax when combined with the Thabeet deal.

4. Alternatively, if the Rockets had gotten the Camby for Brooks/Battier deal done, they would have needed a backup point, where Davis could have slid in and gotten minutes.

5. If Les Alexander did want to push Rick Adelman out the door, getting Baron, the very antithesis of Adelman's system, would probably cause Rick to pull a Jerry Sloan.

Of course, this ignores the point that Davis sucks when he's not throwing alleyoops, when he plays in front of a bad crowd, and also has a propensity to get injured, which is 3 strikes against him playing well in Houston.

Still, I do wonder; if it is a true rumor, what this means about Morey/Alexander's future plans for the franchise. I'd be optimistic that Alexander seems willing to buy high draft picks, and Morey was willing to take on poison pills to get high upside lottery guys, but as constructed, would be a terrible deal.

1 person likes this.
  2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Davis is owed 12+mil for THREE more years, including the year when all our contracts come off, and Dwight Howard/CP3/DWill all becoming FAs. It's only the 1st round pick that matters. And the Clippers are in the 7-10 range in terms of draft positioning.

So unless Morey thinks this draft has the next Lebron/Melo/Bosh/Wade in it, no way he even give this trade even a remote thought.

1 person likes this.
  3. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Well, I was dreaming about Yao, Jeffries, Bud, Hill and Brooks for Baron, Kaman and first but Morey brought the african child:mad:

Baron played his best basketball after GSW era in last couple of month, he was extremely good and this would make a huge upgrade for our Rox but they are both injury prone, Morey probably passed

4. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Exactly. And we could get in the top 10 fairly easily by packaging our two first round draft picks without taking on a horrifying contract.

5. lean

lean Member

Hmm it's never really clear what Morey is thinking. (☞  ̄ヮ ̄) ☞

6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Yao can not be traded. The Rockets will be allowed to make trades once their season ends but you are not allowed to trade expiring contracts or contracts with early termination options.

7. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

This was a deadline rumor.

8. rocketsmetalspd

Rumour or not I am glad this trade did not go through.

9. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Notice the use of past tense.

10. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

The #1 he was talking about was the Timberwolves' unprotected #1, which the Clippers held. That should turn out to be VERY valuable indeed.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, maybe Morey can still make deadline deals to get lottery picks. Not with expirings, of course. That ship has sailed. But once he knows his own draft choices. Maybe there are some teams out there in need of a Scola and/or a Martin.

Hell, if Morey is so keen to spend Les' money, look into Rashard and Washington's pick. Although THAT is one hell of a contract to take on for a draft pick.

12. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Um, exact tweet is:

Not seeing where you get the idea that it would be Minnesota's pick. And for the Clipper's pick, that sort of deal is a heck no, especially given this draft.

13. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Even if that was the pick, it's top 10 protected this year.

14. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Well I'm just glad this did not work out. Trade injured center for injury prone point guard seems like running in circles. Rockets def need someone young and with some upside. A player who can be a definite LEADER of this team.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

The connection houston had with davis a while back was that they did NOT want his contract. The clips offered it as a counter offer and Houston turned it down.

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

HI Mana,

Great job piecing all this info together to help back up the speculation. I think you're right -- it was obvious Simmons was speculating about the BOS deal, but this appears to have some legs. This was exactly the type of trade I was hoping for, so it's reassuring that Morey went down this line of thinking as well.

17. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Sorry, I was mistaken. The Clippers traded their own 1st, unprotected, to Cleveland. In that case, it would not have been as valuable - the 2012 draft >>> the 2011 draft. On the other hand, when I Googled this I found that the Clips dangled Minny's unprotected 2012 1st for Danilo Gallinari... Denver's dumb not to take up that offer.:eek:

18. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I don't think Morey would of agree to this deal. It would of messed up our cap space to the max.

19. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

For Baron, heck no, but it may be worth the 1st pick alone

20. zzpot

zzpot Member

^^^^This.

And thats why rerunning this rumor is just a waste of 5 Oreo cookies of brain power.

The rumor is like a dog chasing his tail because the dog thinks the tail is trying to sneak up behind it and eat all of the Alpo in the food dish. :eek:

zzpot :cool: