1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Bill Simmons] The Red Hot NBA May Be Going Away

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Jun 10, 2011.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

BIG difference between paying a back-loaded full max contract and paying a full max contract with a huge portion being a lump sum payment when you initially trade for the guy. Plus, the Rockets will have to trade Miami a lot more than they would have had to give Toronto last summer in a sign-and-trade, both for value and salary cap purposes.

2. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Scola + Lowry + fillers for Bosh would be a good trade. Then we trade trade Patterson for a serviceable point guard, or hold out for the possible February home run with a KMart/Patterson/Dragic trade for CP3. If we have Bosh, we won't need Patterson, Chuck can be our backup PF.

I would suggest that the trade kicker in a lump sum is not a bad thing, because it maintains more salary cap flexibility for us in the future as the hard cap is phased in. Also, a multi-million check to Bosh at trade time might keep him from sulking from being shipped out of South Beach.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

His cap figure will still be the full max in each season. At least if we trade for him before July 1. Who knows what the new CBA will say about this issue, although I expect similar treatment under the next deal.

The trade kicker is more of a "cash flow" issue than a "cap figure" issue, although it is both.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Funny how a year ago, most of us probably would have eagerly shipped off Scola, Lowry and our #14 for Bosh. But Lowry's emergence as a scoring threat really vaulted his value, so I'm not so sure I'd do it now.

I think Bosh could still put up superstar numbers like he did in Toronto, but I don't know if I want to invest that much on him and believe he can take me all the way.

5. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

well i'll take wade at least. he looks like the only player out there on the heat that will take that extra step to win.

6. Garner

Garner Member

I'm not so sure I want post-superfriends Bosh.

He goes from playing with Lebron and Wade to Kevin Martin/Budinger? Anyone else worried about this?

7. Relentless

Relentless Member

That ridiculous trade proposal was obviously a joke. I'm sure Morey already called him.

I think he's kinda taking a shot at Morey since he was so hot after Bosh, and kinda letting Morey know he lucked out by not getting him.

8. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Yeah let's give them a player that's more clutch than everyone on their team.

No thanks.

9. Muaz

Muaz Member

He forgot Kenyon Martin 16.5 million thats pretty hefty

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What you are saying is that while Bosh gets the cash up front, for cap purposes, the money is allocated among the years as if he just signed a back-loaded max deal.

The issue would be whether Les can come up with the cash right now. Somehow I don't think it would be that much of a problem. Even if he doesn't have cash on hand, given the Rockets are financially healthy, he can probably get a loan for the money.

For the purpose of the trade, I don't think matching would be that big a problem even if Bosh's salary was the "full max", given that the Rockets can always add a Brad Miller here, a Thabeet there to make the math work and I don't think Morey and McHale are all that attached to the non-rotation guys. .

Also, do you think that, as of July 2010, the Rockets would NOT have offered Lowry +Scola (both were FAs, so it'd be a "sign and trade" in both directions) +Patterson to Toronto for Scola?

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Lowry for Bosh straight up would make the Heat better.

With Miami's gaping hole at PG filled by Lowry and Haslem stepping back into the starting PF spot (not a huge downgrade from Bosh) Miami would be beyond scary.

12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watch Dallas win by 20 tonight.

13. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Lowry is a better PG than Bosh is a PF, and he's younger.

No thanks.