1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons is leaving NBA Countdown, launching 'The Grantland Basketball Show'

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Aug 12, 2014.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

This is probably exactly how SAS said it also. "STEPHEN A.'S JUST SPECULATIN' HERE, BUT STEPHEN A. THINKS THAT STEPHEN A. WOULD BE A GREAT CANDIDATE FOR THE COMMENTATING VACANCY IN ESPN'S NBA SHOW. THE INTEREST IS MUTUAL NOW THE ISSUE COMES TO WHETHER OR NOT BOTH SIDES CAN COME TOGETHER ON CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS."

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Good move by Simmons.

When he starts speaking some sense, he won't be immediately dismissed or shouted down. He might be allowed to talk about more than the Knicks or Lakers as well.

3. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Simmons, I have one request, bring in Jalen and Jacoby. I will watch Grantland's BBall show.

4. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Good stuff. I've always said Simmons is better in a more casual, conversational setting rather than the formal presentations/pre-shows. I figure he'll do stuff geared towards what he likes.

As for the hate, I can understand it in a way. But I think those people are assuming more than BS himself. He always approaches topics like an NBA super fan and doesn't act like anything more IMHO. Obviously he's opinionated but he doesn't act like a know it all expert who's appalled when someone comes up with a counter argument (most of the time).
    I don't think he's necessarily a blow hard or something like that.

5. dmoneybangbang

Don't get the BS hate.... I like most of what he's done, don't generally like his views on the Roxs but he seems like a genuine NBA fan.

6. Come_Again?!

Come_Again?! Member

As long as this doesn't interfere with Jalen Jacoby's podcast, I could care less what Simmons does.

7. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

can klosterman be on the show so there is some actual intelligence??

8. VBG

VBG Member

Love Grantland. Like the move. Grantland is generally a much better product for a hardcore basketball fan. ESPN is purely geared to the casual fan.

Simmons was pretty clearly and vocally frustrated by the attention the Knicks and Lakers were getting last year.

9. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Everyone here has different opinions. All have good reasoning.

My opinion --> GREAT MOVE SIMMONS. Takeover your own world. ESPN is a big market. I trust his work even tho sometimes it's so Celtics biased.

Looking forward to this..................

10. Fantasma Negro

I don't understand why Smith was taken off the show to begin with, he was good on it and I think he could do both countdown and first take

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

^The irony given that he's a massive blowhard for the Celtics and Clippers (although compared to ESPN he's much less biased.)

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

On the whole he is quite 'pro Rockets' is he not?

Doesn't mean he will never ask questions of Houston though

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

TNT is so successful because the trio of Barkley, Smith and Johnson have been together well over a decade now.

ESPN keeps changing the lineup too often, not allowing them to get any chemistry.

Although I will say that ESPN's entire vibe is different than TNT's, it doesn't seem like they are trying to rival each other at all.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

It's not possible to improve anything by adding SAS to it. Look for more dumbed down conversation.

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

I think Simmons is one of the better writers in this area
    He also makes interesting, funny podcasts
    But, not as great on TV - at least in the format they had him in
    Hopefully this move will let him set it up they way he wants, and he will excel

16. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I hope this means we'll see more of Zach Lowe. That guy knows his basketball.

I think the Grantland program will be better, but honestly I never watched countdown and I probably won't watch this show...unless he releases it online so I can stream while I work. Then I'll probably watch them all.

17. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

Good, but I really don't want Stephen A to replace him...

18. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Simmons was the best part of that show.

It should be Wilbon/Doris Burke as the hosts with Jalen and a rotating group of Battier, Calvin Murphy, Snoop Dogg, Drake, etc

BAN STEPHEN A

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I still remember the b**** fit live on air when the Cavs got the #1 pick and the second b**** fit he threw when Miami got Shabazz and he thought LeBron was staying because of that.

I love Grantland, but him on ESPN he played the role of pretentious douche. Tried to be too edgy when in reality he was just being obnoxious, ugh.

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

In all fairness, I was pretty pissed when both those things happened as well.