1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons: "Houston has a top 3 worst crowd"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nivos, Jan 18, 2018.

?

Is Simmons right?

1. Yes

387 vote(s)
    87.4%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    7.2%
  3. Media conspiracy

24 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

It's that southern hospitality.

2. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Yea i bet every night they talk about who gonna score her panties one night. They need some clutch members there to show em how its done. haha

Pen15clubber likes this.
  3. tested911

tested911 Member

I probably see 6-8 games a year in great seats and unfortunately he is right. The Houston Basketball crowd does not provide the energy for the players to play better. if the crowd can be 1/2 as loud as the Red Rowdies then the Toyota center would be amazing.

I mean if you can clearly talk on your phone during the game without raising your voice then it's a dull atmosphere.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Self-hating, too. :cool:

slothy420, hakeem94, Nook and 2 others like this.
  5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I see the Red Rowdies getting bashed in this thread. I just want to voice that I love the Red Rowdies! Ya'll get up for every game and it makes being there or watching on tv more fun. Keep it up!

Deckard, lw17, hakeem94 and 3 others like this.
  6. marky :)

marky :) Member

The lower bowl is the worst. Never there at the beginning of games and always head out before the game ends. Most recent game I was at was vs Portland. The game wasn't really "in the bag" for the Rockets until 1 minute left but there were a bunch of people leaving at the 3-4min mark in the 4th. It's even worse when I get seats in the lower bowl and there's no one around.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I've been asked by other fans to please quiet down before at games.

I once saw a guy take his two kids home in the second quarter of a playoff game because of shock at how loud it was.

And also I've entertained an entire section before by being the one guy who yells joking/heckling stuff at a team.

But I will say it got louder during our win streak, and I went to a the Jazz Rockets game IN Salt Lake City and you could hear a pin drop in there all game long, so it happens everywhere contrary to belief.

lw17, Nook and DonKnock like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Red Rowdies are the main ones bringing consistent noise

the reason they were created is because TC is always dead

Raider17, napalm06, Drogba and 2 others like this.
  9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Probably not bottom 3, but definitely bottom 10 for sure. Plus, the in-arena atmosphere is pretty bad. Everything's just so generic.

hakeem94 and malakas like this.
  10. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Cuban has put in a lot of work over the years to make the fan and community experience better in Dallas. Entertaining fans at games is hard work, and you have to have management that really gives a damn so that they can figure out what works and what doesn't in terms of bringing fans early to games and keeping them there. Hopefully Tillman fixes it over time, so far though I'm not aware of anything absolutely ground-breaking that he has done

11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

People need to show up ON TIME.

Deckard likes this.
  12. brownxmas

brownxmas Member

I flew to Memphis for a game against the Grizz, and for bar hoppin on Beale. I must say the crowd there was worst than ours. More quiet. I know the whole arena could hear me yelling. They even put me on the jumbotron. Nice stadium, but the fan experience is blah. They did have a house band though. Rockets fans are quiet too. Just very little energy... i can only yell so loud! for so long

Drogba likes this.
  13. Newlin

Newlin Member

FAKE NEWS!!!

This is just not true. It looks half empty sometimes in the FIRST QUARTER, not the fourth quarter. Come on man, no need to make stuff up. The seats start filling up by the second quarter.

14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's impossible to defend how dead the lower bowl of the arena is on television. Every effort should be made to move fans into the seats that are visible on TV in order to create the appearance of popularity. These corporate seats should come with a clause that stipulates that if you're not seated at the beginning of a game, you will be moved to another seat of equal value once you arrive. Or perhaps if the ticket hasn't been scanned at all by the beginning of the second quarter, fans from the upper deck could be moved down into the lower bowl. Tillman is smart and I think he has incentive to change something, but Les really handed him a bad situation when it comes to attendance.

Rockets Rule, Crashlanded19 and s3ts like this.
  15. photojoe

photojoe Member

I don't buy the whole pricing issue. Yes the seats are expensive in the lower section. But tickets are expensive at NRG and those games are always full.

There are obviously great Rockets fans that love their team, but as a whole, the Rockets are just not a passion of Houston in the same way that football and baseball is

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Kudos to you my friend

17. marky :)

marky :) Member

From my experiences, every regular season game I've gone to over the past how many seasons it's the same story. Lower bowl shows up late and leaves early.

18. Nook

Nook Member

This is absurd. The Houston economy is in better shape that 90% of the cities that have teams in the NBA.

Further the population demographics also are counter to your position.

Houston has been hurt less than almost any other major city.

He said he was concerned about it when he bought the team so I would assume he is working on it. I suspect that it isn't as easy to fix as everyone thinks.

This, there are certainly worse situations. A lot of the problem is the actual arena itself. There is zero sense of intimacy or a connection with what is happening on the court. The old Summit was the complete opposite, you felt packed into this old and dingy arena on top of the players. There were no distractions, you were there to watch basketball.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I sit in those seats as well. Sidelines (not floor) and behind the basket. They are expensive so yes, higher net worth people sit there, but I hate to shock the world here...THAT'S TRUE OF EVERY NBA TEAM.

You think if you go to OKC you can sit sideline for $50? It's expensive everywhere. The NBA is an expensive ticket.

And here's more breaking news: businesses buy these seats in all NBA arenas and give them to top producers, sales people, execs, clients, etc.
    And here's MORE breaking news: those types of people are still fans and can be loud as well!
    :eek:

This isn't a "people with good jobs aren't real fans" problem. That is so hilarious ridiculous.

YOLO and Nook like this.
  20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is a real thing. The arena feels very big when you are in there and is one of the more comfortable arenas I've sat in. The seats are definitely WAY more comfortable than Minute Maid or Reliant.

hakeem94 and Nook like this.