1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons causes Magic Johnson to leave ESPN

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by VBG, Oct 10, 2013.

1. jedicro

jedicro Member

It always kills me that JVG is on a different network than those guys. We either get the awesome half-time show, but have to deal with Reggie miller, or get JVG and have to deal with Magic.

Hopefully Simmons surrounds himself with talent.

Someone mentioned SCREAMIN' A...normally I would say no....but I would love to see Simmons tear him apart.

2. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

So wait...just because the story was about Magic, the LA Times just grabbed out of a sketchy Deadspin piece and immediately reported it with no additional research? Brilliant.

3. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If TNT replaced Shaq with C-Webb, the show would be perfect.

1 person likes this.
  4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I don't know how she will turn out, but Doris Burke puts the work in. She knows her stuff.

Most of the players like Jalen/Magic have very little insight and like Clyde, just mail it in, show up and riff. They don't study up on the teams/players.

Would have preferred SVG to Doug Collins, would have been a great dynamic with the Van Gundy's going back and forth, but Collins is decent.

The show last season was awful because there were too many commericals, Rose added nothing, and Wilbon/Magic just talked about Lakers/LeBron the entire time.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Replace SAS with JVG and you have mine. :)

6. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Don't even bother. People here and those on Deadspin apparently don't want to think logically.

7. New Era Acolyte

Yeah, but she's sexy as hell so she gets the pass. :cool:

8. New Era Acolyte

That's a great point. They need to make sure to have more black commentators on there, since black truth about basketball and white truth about basketball both need to be well represented. :rolleyes:

9. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

agreed C-Webb is so talented on the mic, he is an even better announcer in my opinion. They need to bring in Grant Hill to replace Shaq

10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I have to disagree with you there.

11. VBG

VBG Member

1. Simmons loves Magic. He goes on and on about Magic.
    2. Simmons knows the ESPN show sucked. He's been honest on his podcast.
    3. Simmons knows good TV. He knows Magic sucks on the ESPN show but knows he can't really call him out because it's MAgic ****ing Johnson.

I don't know how any hardcore NBA fan likes that show and the main problem is Magic. He's absolutely awful as an analyst. Listening to him is like Jordan owning the Bobcats. It just doesn't work.

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Go Simmons!

13. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

I've always hated Doug Collins for cheering on this Fisher elbow on Scola.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y8CzEjNVJw
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/2Y8CzEjNVJw?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/2Y8CzEjNVJw?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Simmons even ranked Magic ahead of Bird in his Basketball book, if you can believe it.

His top 13 ("the "Pantheon"), from the book's epilogue, in case anyone's wondering:

1. Michael Jordan
    2. Bill Russell
    3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    4. Magic Johnson
    5. Larry Bird
    6. Wilt Chamberlain
    7. Tim Duncan
    8. Kobe Bryant
    9. Jerry West
    10. Oscar Robertson
    11. Hakeem Olajuwon
    12. Shaquille O'neal
    13. Moses Malone

#94 durvasa, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  15. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I agree on all the names except Kenny Smith. He always thinks his opinion is the most insightful one in the room. Well, next to Charles, I guess it always is.

I also think you should include Zach Lowe in that fantasy line up. That would be basketball information nirvana. On the entertainment side of it, I'm sure JVG and Bill would keep the conversation lively.

16. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

I loved that Gary Payton - Chris Webber Gametime on NBAtv.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/x3lZXuU37CI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-z76KKrh-jI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Vpballa916

Vpballa916 Contributing Member

Stan Van Gundy or Bill Walton would probably be hilarious on this thing.

Jalen and Bill actually mesh really well cause Bill's probably the biggest basketball fan in the world, and Jalen actually lives in that world and is well connected.

The clips that they do together on grantland are all laughs.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I find Doris Burke's preparedness and hoops knowledge highly sexy. Excited to see more of Doris Burke.

19. izeroi

izeroi Member

Not a fan of Burke, but good god I can't stand Magic and all of his giggling and Laker talk. I've been waiting forever for him to get canned but I wish they would have went with someone else besides her. Oh well i guess.

20. VBG

VBG Member

Simmons for all his faults is a great NBA fan. He watches a ton of basketball and he actively looks for new stats and people who can make him more knowledgeable about the sport. He doesn't run away from advanced stats and he actually uses league pass to watch as much basketball as possible.

I think Magic having a couple of extra years at his peak puts him ahead of Bird as well by the way. At their peak it's a tough pick.

But I do think he knows that Magic is not great on television. IIRC, he's made fun of the Magic Johnson talk show at one point. And all of the Lakers talk which was driven by administration annoyed him a ton. Magic was probably a factor in promoting the Lakers a little too much.