1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Bill Simmons] "Almost Famous" NBA offseason Part 1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HI Mana, Jul 27, 2009.

1. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I know most people don't like Bill Simmons, but his NBA columns are absolutely top notch, and with his relationship with Daryl Morey, he's been quite complementary of the Rockets recent moves. He's got a few great nuggets about Artest in his latest column that honestly, seem like they were fed directly to him by the "Dork Elvis"; he's also got some thoughts on the Ariza signing as well.

What do you all think?

Article

1 person likes this.
  2. txtodd

txtodd Member

Bill Simmons is freakin hilarious on twitter. If everyone else disappeared I'd still log in to read his nonsense.

3. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

i wonder what other craziness ron did

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Gotta say I'm a huge fan of Almost Famous, which reminds me of when I was a bit younger (and yes, the early '70's was when that era was reaching its end). Kudos to Simmons for using those quotes and using them well, and a great find by the OP. :cool:

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Phil's just gonna have the entire Laker roster in their underwear on all bus rides.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That Artest stuff in that article is crazy. I'm guessing Ariza would have to shoot somebody (while in his underwear, of course) to rival that.

7. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Let's not tempt fate eh? Take it back! ;)

I think we all knew that the Rockets were keeping things with Ron on the downlow... but dang.. in front of the owner you literally have your pants down...

not cool.

8. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Personally, I've liked Simmons, but that is indeed an interesting anecdote with Artest on the third bus.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I know I'm joking when I say that stuff, but this is an example of us common fans not knowing what the heck is going on behind the scenes. Imagine if this story had been out during the playoffs (I honestly don't know how you keep it out of the media)... this is the dude we want to re-sign? lol.

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Is that the new secret code for "the short bus"?

Dang I so shouldn't post past my bedtime.

11. jlwee

jlwee Member

Rodman was acting like crazy maniac thoughout his whole career but Artest is a real pyscho. That's the different between 2 of them and I m actually suprised Artest's behaviors was so good last season with the rockets. Maybe it was a contract year?

12. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Wow... did Simmons get this directly from Morey? So this was what Clutch and Yao were alluding to.

LOL!

13. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

" and the Rockets buried every 2008-09 story that would have made this patently clear."

I'm dying for Clutch to spill the beans on some of these.

...and I hope the underwear one isn't the last of them.

14. Raven

Raven Member

I think he's a decent enough writer that all his pop culture references just bog down his articles and get in the way. He doesn't need that gimmick anymore.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Excellent read. To the couple of Morey haters on this board --> ya'll better recognize

16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Big Simmons fan here. Just got through reading this article too - was coming over here to post when I saw this. This has to be some of what Clutch already knew about. I shudder to think what else we don't know about his Rockets days. Dude is legitimately off his rocker. I still like him as a crazy wildcard player, but I'm glad he isn't on our team anymore and even happy he is wreaking havoc in LA where stories like the ones Simmons shared probably don't go quietly into the night like they did in Houston.

17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...and one other thing - doesn't this make Houston's accomplishments all the more amazing considering how well they played as a team despite Artest?

18. Raven

Raven Member

That is so damn funny, I'm literally laughing out loud.

19. sabesque

sabesque Member

Did he call Daryl "Dork Elvis?"

we MUST make that stick

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's been stuck for the past year or two.... you're just late to the game. :)