1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien's coaching staff

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Sydeffect, Jan 1, 2014.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

What's he supposed to do? Take the same laid back, player-friendly approach that Kubiak did? C'mon man. We don't know anything about what this guy is like behind closed doors and you're calling him out already? I'd rather him be a little arrogant (if not having an OC is arrogant, but I think you're reading way too much into that) to try to change the culture around here as opposed to being passive and having nothing change.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm not calling him out. He is what he is. He's unproven. I'm not down or excited about the hire. We have one of the most popular franchises in sports, the fans love the team, the media here is soft, we have an elite LT, the best defensive player in the league, the #1 pick overall, an owner that stays out of management's way - this job is a ****ing gold mine. The Houston Texans franchise is a huge deal. And this guy is a nobody. So I'll treat him as he deserves. He's accomplished nothing so I'll treat him like he's nothing. Maybe he'll do something someday.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, basically you'd have the same approach with any first-time head coach... regardless of their background, regardless of their coordinator choice or not, and regardless of their comments.

Yes, everybody accomplishes nothing... till they accomplish something... so lets treat him like nothing till he does something someday.

Nice.

4. Remii

Remii Member

Well who did you want the Texans to hire Ziggy...???

I wanted Lovie but I don't believe he wanted this job with the other opportunities that were available. So who else would you would have wanted instead of O'Brien...?

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's not about what I want. It's about who we have. An unproven guy who comes off a tree full of failures and who did little to impress me in the weak Big 10. I'm not excited or upset about it. Deal with it folks. I refuse to crown this jabroni until he does something. Simple as that.

6. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Lovie would have taken this job in a heartbeat.. Mcnair only intervienwed him because of the Rooney rule and dont think he was ever going to hire him..

Lovie is basically the same as Kubiak.. Stick to his scheme even if its not working..

I would much rather have OBrien (although unproven) i think he will do great

7. Remii

Remii Member

I believe differently... Tampa has a better roster and is ready to go. We have plenty of issues here like cap and injuries. I believe Lovie was their 1st choice.

And comparing Lovie to Kubiak is ridiculous.

8. Remii

Remii Member

I can understand that. But considering what else the Texans had to pick from _ I'm not mad about the hire. Just have to cross our fingers and hope.

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

No we don't.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ziggy has a weird and awkward hatred fetish going on. Sure, it's one thing to not like the hire but wow, at least let the guy suck before you start berating him...especially about nonsense

11. Toast

Toast Member

Has O'Brien officially come out and stated that he WON'T hire an OC?

It was suggested before that he doesn't want to name one because that would tip his hand as to who's targeted with the #1 pick. (Read: It'll be a QB and his college QB coach/OC/whatever could follow him to Houston.)

12. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Well the report yesterday was the "final" coaching staff I believe, so I guess that's that.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He hasn't come in and done anything innovative or inspiring. So far we're getting the played out "hard ass" routine. Every vibe that comes off this man is "I'm a big dick, I know what I'm doing, I don't need any help". I'm not a fan of that attitude.

I was excited about O'Brien at first when I heard him speak about what he wanted on defense. I like CEO head coaches. Then, from what I've been lead to believe, he's just handing the keys to the defense away so he can focus on offense. Sweet, we've got ourselves another glorified OC running the ship. Meanwhile Harbaugh up in Baltimore has a small enough ego to allow a stubborn guy like Kubiak into his circle. An open minded approach? Novel idea.

I get that O'Brien's approach can work. I hope it does. I think it can. I get I don't have all the facts yet, there's a lot to learn about O'Brien at the pro level. But up to this point... I am not impressed. O'Brien's antics have annoyed me thus far, not inspired me. There's no reason for me to sit on his bandwagon right now.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

amazing...a month into a job and he's already in the dog house for ideas that you are creating in your own head. Dude...just relax.

15. Remii

Remii Member

I believe Harbough was a special teams coach so he actually needs an OC to call the plays and design an offense.

I believe Mike McCarthy and Andy Reid call their own plays and several others.

Conspiracy Theory ---> If he doesn't bring in an OC... Maybe it's because his homeboy he bounces ideas off of and gives him advice can get paid.

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I just heard on local news that nine of the Texans new coaches have no NFL coaching experience. I find this surprising.

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Dude where on earth are you getting your ideas? This is seriously all from him not hiring an OC? Nick already broke it down for you, him hiring an OC would be in name only just like many other OC's in the league. I get that he hasn't done anything yet but he hasn't messed up either. You called him a dick but your reactionary posts based on imaginary ideas of how you think his personality is, is far more dickish.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Texans hired Brian Gaine as director of pro scouting, Daron Roberts as scout and promoted Larry Wright to assistant pro personnel director.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/432853972420812801">February 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Brian Gaine and Daron Roberts replaced Brian Gardner and Kevin Murphy, who were fired after the season.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/432854335488131072">February 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Brian Gaine was Dolphins ass. GM who was candidate to replace Jeff Ireland as GM. When he didn't get job he was fired.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/432854907515699200">February 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I wanna be an ass GM.

20. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Gaine and Roberts are big hires. Boosting the scouting department might be just as (if not more) important than the coaching changes we have made.