1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien's coaching staff

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Sydeffect, Jan 1, 2014.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

A change of venue can be invigorating. Plus, I don't think OBrien is going to let one coach sink his ship.

2. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

We have what? Tights end coach and offensive coordinator left?

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think they got the Pats TE coach... and BOB probably won't hire a true OC (or may have one, but he won't be in charge of the offense, BOB will. Much like Kubiak/Dennison).

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Lance just mentioned Ferenz on the radio. Is he still in play?

5. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I heard that too. I have been waiting to hear Lance comment on the Dunn hiring. I wonder if he has some new inside info on Ferentz.

6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I heard the same thing. I came here hoping there was something breaking on this.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Why? I don't dislike O'Brien but he hasn't proven anything to me. Why do you believe he doesn't need a good staff in place? You think he can commandeer his guys, make them better at what they do? I think he'll be too busy scripting drives and installing new plays for a rookie quarterback.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

But the Pats TE coach is going to be our QB coach, right? That's why we were able to get him. Because it's kind of a promotion. That still leaves a vacancy at TE coach.

9. itzIce

itzIce Member

Texans offensive coaching roundup per ESPN

http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/3762/texans-offensive-coaching-roundup

10. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Hopefully if Dunn doesn't work out, he will move quickly to replace him. He has been preaching accountability, so we shall see.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Coaching staff

Head Coach: Bill O'Brien
    Director of Football Research: Jim Bernhardt
    Quarterbacks: George Godsey
    Running Backs: Charles London
    Wide Receivers: Stan Hixon
    Tight Ends: John Perry
    Offensive Line: Paul Dunn
    Offensive Quality Control: Tim Kelly
    Defensive Coordinator: Romeo Crennel
    Defensive Line: Bill Kollar
    Linebackers: Mike Vrabel
    Secondary: John Butler
    Assistant Secondary: Anthony Midget
    Defensive Quality Control: Will Lawing
    Special Teams Coordinator: Bob Ligashesky
    Assistant Special Teams: Doug Coleman
    Head Strength and Conditioning: Craig Fitzgerald
    Assistant Strength and Conditioning: Sean Hayes
    Assistant Strength and Conditioning: Anthony Pleasant

#571 J.R., Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nah, O'Brien needs to earn my trust. O'Brien is the Offensive Coordinator and we have no Head Coach right now. That's how I'm treating it. Think you're cool and don't need an OC? Okay then. Win my love. Sucker.

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Curious about no OC as well, but my guess is that Bernhardt will basically help implement a lot of the game-planning and help with overall offensive philosophy while O'brien is in charge of the execution. So in a way, Bernhardt may be filling some of the role of the OC, just without the playcalling or working directly with the players much.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

All head coaches who call their own plays use their OC's as glorified offensive line/QB coaches... there is very little "coordinating" going on in their job description.

BOB is just cutting through the semantics, and saving the public from believing that the OC can actually run the offense (like the Texans did with Dennison).

15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

What does an Offensive/Defensive Quality Control Coach do?

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Mostly sorting/studying/organizing video and data if I'm not mistaken.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_17198145

Q: What are the duties of the coaches in charge of offensive/defensive "quality control"?

A: College coaching guys often start their careers as graduate assistants. In the NFL, the entry-level position on coaching staffs is usually as one of the quality control assistants.

At times they are called "offensive assistant" or "defensive assistant," but the "quality control" portion of the job is at the root of things.

They do have some on-field duties in practices, often they work with one or more position coaches to gain experience as they prepare to become position coaches themselves.

But overall, a quality control assistant's job is rooted in game preparation. They usually work at least one or two weeks ahead in the regular season.

They prepare the statistical analysis as well as the initial video study of upcoming opponents. The defensive quality control assistant breaks down opposing offenses, including how often they line up in specific formations and how they use various personnel groupings.

He charts down-and-distance situations, field position, substitutions, etc., and then gives that report to the team's defensive staff when they begin their game planning each week during the regular season.

The offensive quality control assistant would do the same in regard to opposing defenses and then give the reports to the offensive staff.

Because of that they must work ahead of the coaching staff. If the Broncos face say, the Chiefs, in Week 3, the quality control guys have to have their reports done before the rest of the staff begins the game planning for that game.

When the team is getting ready to face the Chiefs, the quality control guys are already scouting the next opponent.

It's a difficult job that requires a grind-it-out work ethic with a detail-oriented approach because the charts have to be correct.

Most coaches start on the vocational path with the job. The guys who don't do it well don't make it long enough to get promoted most of the time.

Often it's also an ex-player's first taste of coaching after he expresses interest in trying to be a coach, a job that weeds out those who aren't interested enough to keep at it.​

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He's not saving the public from anything, he's being a dick about it. He thinks he's ****ing special and it's annoying. Win a game first. Do something. Then you can pretend like you're innovative and all-knowing.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's not doing anything drastically different, innovative/all-knowing, or being a dick. He's just not giving somebody the TITLE of offensive coordinator. There will still be other coaches there doing exactly what other offensive coordinators do (especially the ones on teams where they really aren't the coordinator... GB, Arizona, New Orleans, Kansas City, Chicago... that's a lot of winning teams there).

Again, he's got SEVENTEEN assistant coaches... more-so than most head coaches. He's going to have plenty of help while he's still going to be calling the plays.

If you're mad that he's the one calling the plays... before he's even had a single game here... then maybe you're just never going to be on board with him.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

George Godsey is effectively the OC. I mean c'mon, we were 2-14 team, give me a break. b****es like to b****.