1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien to call plays; not hire OC

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketpower2, Jan 18, 2017.

1. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For all the "stubborn" talk that surrounds BO'B, I think the facts that he has adapted to the personnel he has at his disposal (regardless of how they were acquired). You saw this when he was able to change how the team plays under the various QBs - even those acquired mid-season (i.e. Yates, Keenum, Weeden, Daniels, etc.). This year, from the plays they ran in the pre-season (against vanilla defenses) to the plays they ran during the season, you could tell he was trying to adjust to Brock's deficiencies as a QB. There's no way I can sit here today and tell you how much of those deficiencies are from his unfamiliarity with the offense/scheme and how much of that was a function of Brock not being very good. That's the single most frustrating thing about the whole experiment, after 16 starts (counting post-season), we still don't (definitively) know what we have at QB in Brock. He makes rookie mistakes in terms of his reads, timing with the WRs, trusting his arm too much, he doesn't know when to take some heat off the ball on intermediate routes, and stares down receivers. These are all issues that rookie QBs display as first time starters. Will he improve? Who knows, I'd love to inject some truth serum into BO'B and see what he really thinks. Is there room for improvement? Can they get him to go through his progressions more quickly? Can they get him to work on his fundamentals so that when he does throw to the outside, he's not late, and when he does throw over the middle, the pass doesn't sail on him?

To me, that's more of a QB coach function. Maybe that's why Godsey got canned and Sean Ryan got the promotion to QB Coach. Can he "fix" Brock? Without competent QB play, whomever calls the play is largely irrelevant.

2. T for 3

T for 3 Member

so basically, nothing changed. AFC south champs, doesn't matter!

Joking aside, if we somehow stumble on on average quarterback in the off season and go 12-4, The narrative will change and people will call OB the stubborn offensive genius. I don't think the offensive struggles fall on his play calling all the time. You can't do much in the NFL offensively with awful QB play.

#122 T for 3, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://www.scout.com/nfl/texans/story/1748933-obrien-explains-coaching-staff-shuffle

4. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Welker spotted with texans staff at senior bowl

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Texans meet with Taylor Moton. Would be an excellent 2nd-3rd round RT.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2017rumors5.php

7. Fantasma Negro

8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Yes please

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

10. Fantasma Negro

And because he was able to make Foles look like an NFL qb

11. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Billy O' is so arrogant he won't hire a new OC.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Walter Football is a pretty bogus rumors site, and OBrien has said he will NOT hire an offensive coordinator.

Hard to get your hopes up about any of this.

13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

The closer the Super BOwl gets, the more press conferences I see hoodie talk, the more pissed I get at BOB. He needs to stop trying to be like hoodie. "red area" instead of zone, "snapface and bookchat", "competing", and just genuine disregard for everyone... Go win some big games like hoodie or at least against hoodie before you act like him.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Finally something to be hopeful about. The ol' Chipper will get this offense right. A perfect set up for Mahomes to in and start right away.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

This is the point I was trying to make

Not saying that Kelly would be a bad assistant but that this guy just come up with the rumor/story/hot take based on the fact that they are friends.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I have an idea. Instead of pointing out that this is not really a story, why don't we blow it up and make it one. I think we all agree that we would be in much better shape with Kelly calling the plays.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the problem with bringing in an OC is it would essentially be the 4th consecutive year of rebooting the offense (Fitz, Hoyer, Brock, new OC)

McNair probably gave BoB an ultimatum to improve the offense. Starting over from scratch is unlikely to achieve that.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think I read something earlier about similarities in the offenses used. If that is the case then I don't think it would be that much of a problem. But if not then I think it would only be somewhat problematic early in the season.

19. awc713

awc713 Member

Don't know veracity of WalterFootball.com, but:

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Hate to be that guy, but it's been posted in a couple threads, including on this same page.

I'd like it, though. Especially if we draft Mahomes or Watson.

awc713 likes this.