1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien out?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 1, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You were suggesting that people on playoff teams would have to "protect their jobs", and I thought that was ridiculous. Clearly though you consider this season a failure based on your comments, and you think that the Texans should consider mixing things up.....you know, a move that a completely incompetent organization would do.....like the Browns.

It's okay, I know that complaining about the Texans is a favorite hobby of Texans fans no matter what happens. It's just something we have to put up with because it'll never change.

2. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Can somebody name the head coaches currently in the NFL that have more wins than Bill O'Brien in the past 3 regular seasons?
    Bill has 27.

3. TheresTheDagger

In other words....you pulled that out of your ass. I never said it so now you're scrambling to try to "justify" why you said it. A curious form of debate I notice you use when caught talking out your ass.

The ACTUAL way this went is the following:

You said:
    I said:

Meaning, that just making the playoffs and getting waxed every time is not good enough for most people, (exception Bobby) and front office members of teams that do this will say whatever BS they have to in order to save their jobs and try again the next year and again be 9-7.

In other words, to you, making the playoffs and getting whipped year after year is success. To me, that is failure. That is the difference.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ron Rivera
    Pete Carroll
    Bruce Arians
    Mike Tomlin
    Andy Reid
    Mike McCarthy
    Jason Garrett
    Bill Belichick

craigharmann likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly, you think making the playoffs is failure....which is hilariously misguided and only a REALLY awful organization would mix things up when things are good.....you also make a great case why coaches should NEVER listen to the knee jerk hot takes of fans.

6. TheresTheDagger

Well, didn't the Rockets make the playoffs last year too? And the year before that? Why not just stick with Mchale then! Obviously nothing was wrong, right Bobby?

7. Nook

Nook Member

Three 9-7 seasons in the worse division in football. The Texans have been extremely mediocre (what a shock) during his tenure.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

If hes getting fired, it has to be over Brock. I think OB has done ok considering the QB situation the past three seasons. Could we have been any better with a different coach? I don't know

9. awc713

awc713 Member

I may be in the minority, but BOB doesn't deserve to get fired (yet). Not every problem in our organization boils down to him. I'm not saying to hand the guy a 5 year contract extension, but I think he's earned the right to at least coach another season.

Yes, he's made bone-headed decisions. But EVERY coach not named Bill has done made bone-headed decisions, especially when gauged in hindsight.

Let's give him another year or two to see if he can really piece together his "complicated" system. Rome wasn't built in a day, and BOB has earned the right to coach this team a little while longer. Rick should be bounced before BOB.

Two Sandwiches and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  10. thedude077

thedude077 Member

LOL I meant to say McNair.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL different sports man. C'mon work with me here. The Lakers have 12 wins, I wonder if that's enough for home field advantage!!!

As I posted above, only 8 coaches in the entire league have more regular season wins than BOB over the last 3 years, so while you might think that the Texans are "mediocre" or that being a winning team every single year is no big deal.....not many teams can pull it off and you'd be hard pressed to find someone that could do it with the Texans' injuries this season and their struggles at QB.

Just try to be better than this man. The Eeyore narrative just doesn't fit right now, stop trying to force it.

12. TheresTheDagger

Who said anything about "coach"? I mentioned front office. (I would keep O'brien at least 1 more season regardless of how this one turns out).

I only brought up Mchale because you kept saying that coaching changes for playoff teams is wrongheaded and mediocrity is to be rewarded with continued employment.

Try being better than this man. Reading comprehension apparently isn't a strong suit.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And when the team is successful.....even though you don't seem to know what that means, you don't fire the FO either.

Glad we had this talk. We'll have to have another talk in the future to teach you what the definition of "mediocrity" means, but for now I'll just write it off as you being one of "those" types of Texans fans. None of you guys seem to understand what the word means given that you use it so often and so improperly.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

BTW, we're talking about firing the GM of a team that just went 9-7 including one game where they rested almost all of the starters for at least half the game because they already had their division won despite missing 2 starting O linemen basically all season long, the best defensive player in football for nearly the entire season, multiple WR's, multiple DB's, and essentially not having a QB.

What a terrible team that GM put together.

15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

We've built a great defense and for them to do what they did this year without JJ is a tribute to the defensive coaches and players. We have to settle on a QB and although Savage hasn't been a knockout he has been a good game manager until today when that blitz nailed him. This isn't suppose to be a great draft for QBs and not sure what FAs will be available, but I'd be OK giving Tom a shot next year if he doesn't totally implode in the play-offs. We definitely need to invest heavily in the offensive line in both FA and draft. We also need either a new OC or the guts to open up OB's play book, which TS should be able to do with 4 years in the system.

I've never been a Rick Smith fan and wouldn't be upset if Bob sent him packing, but I'm not sure that is the real answer. Brock is not a good fit in this system. Maybe he would be better with another team, I'm just not sure who that is and if we could get anyone to take his contract. If DM was the GM, I'm sure he would get some sucker to bite.

I may get flamed, but I would be ok Savage, Weeden and a young QB next year if we can peddle Os for a draft pick.
    I also think that while RC has been great this year, Vrabel is probably ready for his shot as a DC. I'm not sure what promises were made last year to get him back, but he can't be waiting in the wings for much longer.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I might be on board for that if I believed it was possible to move Osweiler for anything and if Savage had even one career passing touchdown. Today was his big opportunity since he failed to do so in his first start or any of his other appearances. I think you have to go into camp with a QB competition between the 2 and roll with the winner. IMO you can't just assume that Savage will be the guy given that he hasn't done anything to show that.

If the O line improves, and we get more out of the young WR's who struggled with injury and inexperience, and JJ comes back healthy, then I think the Texans will be fine.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Belichick(NE): 38-10
    Fox/Kubiak(DEN): 33-15 (Kubiak: 21-11)
    Reid(KC): 32-16
    Tomlin(PIT): 32-16
    Carroll(SEA): 32-15-1
    Arians(ARI): 31-16-1
    McCarthy(GB): 31-16 (*Tonight's game pending)
    Garrett(DAL): 29-19
    Lewis(CIN): 28-18-2
    Rivera(CAR): 28-19-1
    Caldwell(DET): 27-20 (*Tonight's game pending)
    O'Brien(HOU): 27-21
    Pagano(IND): 27-21
    Zimmer(MIN): 26-22
    Smith/Quinn(ATL): 25-23 (Quinn: 19-13)
    Marrone/Ryan/Lynn(BUF): 24-24 (Ryan: 15-16; Lynn: 0-1)
    Philbin/Campbell/Gase(MIA): 24-24 (Gase: 10-6)
    Kelly/Shurmur/Pederson(PHI): 24-24 (Pederson: 7-9)
    Harbaugh(BAL): 23-25
    Coughlin/McAdoo(NYG): 23-25 (McAdoo: 11-5)
    Sparano/Allen/Del Rio(OAK): 22-26 (Del Rio: 19-13)
    Gruden(WAS): 21-26-1
    Payton(NO): 21-27
    Ryan/Bowles(NYJ): 19-29 (Bowles: 15-17)
    McCoy(SD): 18-30
    Fisher/Fassel(LA): 17-31 (Fisher: 17-28; Fassel: 0-3)
    Smith/Koetter(TB): 17-31 (Koetter: 9-7)
    Harbaugh/Tomsula/Kelly(SF): 15-33 (Kelly: 2-14)
    Trestman/Fox(CHI): 14-34 (Fox: 9-23)
    Whisenhunt/Mularkey(TEN): 14-34 (Mularkey: 11-14)
    Pettine/Jackson(CIN): 11-37 (Jackson: 1-15)
    Bradley/Marrone(JAC): 11-37 (Bradley: 10-36; Marrone: 1-1)

Coaches hired same offseason
    Jim Caldwell, Detroit Lions
    • 27-20; 1 double-digit win season; 1 playoff appearance; lost in WC round 24-20 to Dallas
    Bill O'Brien, Houston Texans
    • 27-21; 2 playoff appearances; lost in WC round 30-0 to Kansas City
    Mike Zimmer, Minnesota Vikings
    • 26-22; 1 double-digit win season; 1 playoff appearance; lost in WC round 10-9 to Seattle
    Jay Gruden, Washington Redskins
    • 21-26-1; 1 playoff appearance; lost in WC round 35-18 to Green Bay
    Mike Pettine, Cleveland Browns
    • 10-22; fired after 2015
    Lovie Smith, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    • 8-24; fired after 2015
    Ken Whisenhunt, Tennessee Titans
    • 3-20; fired during 2015 season

Two Sandwiches and 713 like this.
  18. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

OB drives me fking crazy, but if he does not get talent from the GM then, he doesn't have much to work with (O-Line.) I would like to see Godsey out, and finally get rid of the Godfather (Rick Smith) before OB.

Edit: Unfortunately as you can see from my av pic, it looks like Rick Smith is here to stay.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Mike McCoy now available. Josh McDaniels probably will get another chance as well.

Those would both be lateral-type moves. Even Sean Payton, with all his offensive genius, amazing young WR's, and a HOF QB, has seemed to have lost some of the mojo that had him set for life there.

I really only see change happening if BOB ends up wanting out.

20. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Sean Payton could be the Texans' Mike D'Antoni :eek: