1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien out?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 1, 2017.

1. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

but it's hard to measure how great his coaching has been when it's obvious he's been hamstrung (as has the entire fanbase) with an inept, good ol boy front office and ownership. time and time again things keep on "not working out" but the only constant has been mcnair and lately rick.

there's a culture problem within the organization and it starts at the very top - plain and simple. unfortunately, as mentioned time and time again, that isn't changing any time soon. so on we go banging our heads against the wall so mcnair and rick can continue cashing checks.

#teamB'Ob

2. conquistador#11

If lance had said B.O. B is stepping back from the draft, expect a QB to be taken with the 25th, I'd believe that more, since Mcnair is wanting to have that guy to send the franchise past that divisional round like adding ed reed without consulting Wade.
    The way Lance implied would be the logical coach way to improve. Pass on the Qb and solidify the o-line target the also patriot prospect Nathan in a later round.

I like Bill but I don't think he'll ever understand that Brady isn't on this roster. We will continue to go shotgun from our own 5 or on the opponents 2 yard line as if we did have #12. I don't like the ' patriots way' unless the 2 headed monster comes with it with a good tape recorder.

I want a RT and a Qb. I don't care which one is first, knowing both will struggle in the chinesebackwards offense in their first years.

Can't wait to see what happens tonight. 86 days for players to report to training camp.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The media might be foolish enough to buy that, but I'm not sure NFL teams will buy his BS. It could happen, but I'd feel bad for whatever team picked him up.

I mean, what is he going to tell a new team that he did to improve the Texans? Is there anything he can say that isn't something RAC did?

4. SWTsig

/thread

it's cute watching everyone plot their new course every 4-5 years thinking somehow with a different coaching staff and some shift of responsibilities away from Rick that this team will finally get there. NEWSFLASH: as long as mcnair et al is running the show this is what the texans franchise will be. no true commitment to winning, no accountability, and no real forward progress.

it's amazing that we have this exact same conversation - wondering who's in charge, who we should fire/hire, etc - every single year and yet we somehow believe that with coaching change X and drafting/signing Y this team will turn the corner. it is folly!

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Preach.

texans1095 likes this.
  6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

True...
    But you can only judge based on actual results and history and not hypotheticals.

I mean, I know Jim Tomsula is probably not a great NFL head coach even though he was hamstrung by even worse ownership/management in his 1 year with SF.

And ultimately I come to conclusion that O'Brien is an above average coach, but I'm not sure how much above average. Certainly he could coach a team to a SB win - I mean Kubiak won one two years ago. Heck, maybe even good enough with the right personnel to ultimately win a couple rings... MAYBE. And as there's only 13 coaches in history you can say that about... I guess that means I do think he can certainly be meaningfully above average.

But I've been and remained concerned about his ability to install an effective offense... IN LIGHT of the personnel he does have. And the personnel he does have... IS the personnel he does have, and all I can ultimately judge him by at the moment.

7. SWTsig

perhaps, but to ignore the handcuff that is the mcnair regime makes all your postulations pointless. 100% pointless. i get it - this is a discussion board, this is what we're supposed to do on here, but all of this banter is pointless. proclamations like "obrien is a bad coach" or "if we could only hire x" or whatever the hell else you want to hypothesize - it means nothing as long as mcnair is in charge.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL fans trying to blame the owner will never stop being funny. It's a special kind of special hot take....but we shouldn't spent too much time entertaining that kind of nonsense.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

What makes McNair a bad owner?

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

C'mon, you know these hot takes are due to the reports of his political contributions. Don't make them come up with lies to hide that fact.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Because Clutchfans said so.

Just like Clutchfans' hatred of Les Alexander was at its highest right after D'antoni's hire. Now we'll be willing to chp in to pay the millionaire's 100K fine.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Just being better than Bud Adams is a pretty low bar to set, don't you think?

Nook likes this.
  13. SWTsig

ya it's politics. nailed it. keep up the good work.

for the less obstuse posters, it's less bob mcnair the owner as it is the pervasive culture within the organization that he owns. i'm not surprised bobby couldn't pick up on that nuance but most intelligent posters should. feel free to disagree but as i stated several times, we go through this song and dance every single year and nothing ever changes. you don't want to say he's a bad owner? fine. but you sure as hell can't say he's a good one, either (assuming your metric is sustained on the field success).

Rocketman95 and texans1095 like this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh, well then I gave you too much credit it seems. If it was just your inability to separate politics from sports that would be one thing, but I see the hot take isn't even based on something as solid (though misguided) as that.

Anyway, given that ownership isn't going to change any time soon, and you seem to think that ownership has something to do with winning or losing, it probably makes sense that you should move on and find a different team to complain about.

15. SWTsig

haha yup - the CEO of the company has little to do with how the company is run. the person in charge of hiring and firing the folks that develop the strategy for how the organization is run on a day to day basis doesn't effect the organizations performance. got it. y'all heard it hear first, folks.

quick question - have you ever had a job? i mean a real job... not mowing lawns or running a lemonade stand, but an actual job? serious question.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The Texans are 51-45 since 2011 with four division titles and three playoff wins. They've had one losing season - a dreadful season, sure - but still only one in that time frame. Otherwise, they're 49-30 (2011-'12, 2014-'16).

I just can't fathom a fan base would have this much vitriol for a fairly successful stretch - especially given how bad the stretch prior to it was (63-81 with one winning season, no playoffs + six years without a professional football team).

17. Buck Turgidson

Nah, I'm pretty sure we heard Ken Lay's defense team say all that.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL lash out ignorantly if that's what you feel like you've gotta do, but your take here is laughably bad. If you think a standard corporate situation is similar to NFL ownership.....well, I can't help you and I'm sure you've got windows to lick so don't let me take up any more of your time.

Like I suggested, just find a different team to whine about if you think ownership is what is the problem.

19. Buck Turgidson

Can't speak for anybody else, but it's not vitriol for me. It's frustration, rapidly moving into exasperation. Apathy comes next. They are already by far, here on draft day coming off of a playoff run, the 3rd most compelling sports team in Houston.

Like SWT said, with this coaching staff and front office it's just the same stories over and over.

Nook, Mr. Clutch and SWTsig like this.
  20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That's including 2011-12 they were 22-10. Take that out and it's not so impressive. They fired that coach after he went 2-14 in 2013 but for some reason kept the GM.

2014-16 they've been 27-21 (9-7 every year) in the worst division with a QB situation that gets worse every year and a coach who becomes more disgruntled. Pretty much the epitome of mediocrity while at the same time, in my opinion, mortgaging the future.