1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien out?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 1, 2017.

1. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

“Doesn’t matter Brian, AFC South champions two years in a row, Brian. Doesn’t matter what it looked like, back in the playoffs … looking forward to the playoffs.”

I feel like you can copy and paste this quote in response to any news regarding the Texans right now- positive, negative or neutral.

J.R. likes this.
  2. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I really do not believe the Texans will fire Bill O'Brien. It took 7 years for McCain to fire Gary Kubiak, where he only had three winning seasons and four terrible, mediocre seasons. Why the hell will McCain fire Bill O'Brien after three 9-7 seasons? Stop believe bull s**t news.

Shark44 and Plowman like this.
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He might be sick of all the leaks that make the Texans org look bad

4. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I want heads to roll after the next inevitable blowout. For now he's fine, be it playoffs or next year against the Pats, the 30 point blowout is as iconic of BOB as the 9-7 finish, and it's intolerable in this age of football (although football quality this season seems to have gone down across the board).

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

9-7 bullshit
    ;)

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Who is this McCain character that's doing the firing?

Senator John Mccain? Not sure if he can do the firing motion since Korea. Maybe that's why it took so long to fire Kubiak. Now that he's got them loosened up, maybe he's ready for heads to roll.

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Problem is, if he exits here by his choice, does that make his resume less impactful? Two years at PSU and they played well. H didn't leave them in a great spot, though, and he bolted.

Three decent years he, and he up and leaves? What does that say about his long term prospects?

I don't expect him to willingly leave here.

I don't think he sees eye to eye with management, and I doubt McNair would fired Smith, which could be the ultimate problem. The rift just has to be BIG for him to leave, IMO.

He's got a great core here, just needs a QB and an O line.

8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Uhhh, yeah. I'm sick to death of the kid gloves and TV-Y7 football organization. This is grown man, paid professionals, real football. There are no moral victories, not unless that's the only snake oil your franchise has up for sale. Injuries count and god damn, everyone has them EVERY YEAR. It's going to happen next year too. This isn't madden where the star players never get hurt.

They played piss poor football for most of the season and absolutely backed into a playoff berth. They are absolutely the sore thumb sticking out of the AFC hand. They don't change anything schematically and it yields the same results. They are going to go get their heads kicked in at home in the playoffs again, in all likelihood.

You think I don't have a list of grievances just because I didn't type out 3 years worth on a post?

The bar isn't 9-7, this is a progress league, etc. you don't believe me, ASK COACH and wonder why his flavor is salty. They could've if they wanted to? Says who? THEY SHOULD HAVE WANTED IT THEN. Another on a very long list of grievances I've barely begun to crack. They don't get that credit, not unless you are stone blind drunk off the kool-aid.

How many 9-7 seasons and moral victories will it take to change your mind? You think it's just a little luck that stands in the way of 3 more wins? Nonsense. Wake up.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL they "backed into" a playoff berth? GTFOH, they had it locked up in week 16 and sat most of the starters for at least half of week 17. It's completely ridiculous to complain about 9-7 when it easily could have been 10-6 if the Texans wanted it to be. If the outcome of essentially an exhibition game playing backups against starters shapes your view of the team then you might need to take a step back and re-think things. The Texans played guys who haven't played all season against the starters of the 2nd best team in the division and the difference in the game was Savage fumbling into the end zone......the Texans absolutely dominated their division this season despite missing the best player in the league and several other key players.

10. TheresTheDagger

Just copy/paste this for use next year when we finish 9-7. Save yourself some future effort.

Meanwhile, real organizations continue to dominate and if not, make the changes necessary to not be perennial 9-7 milk toast wonders...

Dankstronaut likes this.
  11. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Really man. If you think you're backing me into some corner here, you aren't. Your straw man tactics aren't doing it.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry, I just don't get worked up about regular season records when the team makes the playoffs. They can go 9-7 forever and I won't be upset so long as they are in the playoffs every season giving themselves a shot to win it all.

13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Close, i think he meant the general John McClain.

14. TheresTheDagger

This is what teams that never do **** in the playoffs always say to protect their jobs. Are you sure you don't work for the Texans front office?

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

People on teams that are always in the playoffs don't have to worry about their jobs unless the franchise is run like the Cleveland Browns or by knee jerk fans.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

9-7 NFL HCs literally grow on trees. Dunchano?

17. TheresTheDagger

Explain how a team that is always in the playoffs is run like the Cleveland Browns.

What does that even mean?

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not run like the Browns, and that's why you are upset. You want them run like the Browns. I think it's foolish to even consider. Understand now?

19. conquistador#11

it's funny how the narrative is oh no the team is 9-7 again when the same peeps wanted so many players to rest. what did people expect? If clowney cushing, joseph, miller, simon played, they'd won the game, 17-7. When they onsides kicked early in the third, that should have been clue #22 the game was not a big deal.

#79 conquistador#11, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Two Sandwiches likes this.
  20. TheresTheDagger

Point out where I said I want the Texans run like the Browns. I'll wait.