1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien emerges as Houston Texans No. 1 target for new head coach

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by platypus, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Raven

Raven Member

If the Texans hit the QB jackpot, and taking into a account next season's easier schedule, I think 10-6 is achievable, especially if the team can avoid another horrible streak of injuries. But they absolutely must draft the right QB for that to happen.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And they need improvements/replacements in the O-line, and they need improvements/replacement throughout the defense... and they'll be incorporating a new system likely on both sides of the ball, and AJ80 is one more year older (but as long as the nagging injuries don't get him, he'll be productive).

There will be a lot of turnover on both sides of the ball... it may not come together right away.

I just think everybody is getting caught up in the "there's always at least one team that goes from 10 losses to 10 wins every year", and there will be "expectations" that the Texans will need to be one of those teams. This team was 2-14 not just because of bad QB play and injuries... obviously a turnaround is not impossible, but I don't expect it to be the norm.

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

I didn't care for the pick from the beginning. Just had a negative feeling about his demeanor. A lot was made about "local boy comes home." That didn't seem too compelling.

4. tecmotexans

tecmotexans Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>2:00 Penn St. Press conference. Bill O'Brien come on down!!</p>&mdash; John Granato (@johngranato) <a href="https://twitter.com/johngranato/statuses/418036343999311872">December 31, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I hope we will hear soon that the Texans have a 1 PM news conference.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Charlie P. mentioned it might not be in the best interest of the Texans to announce the hire on/near a holiday. Makes sense.

7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

And at that time it was the right hire... he had a good amount of success and turned us from annual bottom feeders to a respected organization. His downfall was because he never evolved.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Coaching staff class of 2006:

Rod Marinelli
    Scott Linehan
    Herm Edwards
    Brad Childress
    Gary Kubiak
    Eric Mangini
    Dick Jauron
    Sean Payton
    Mike McCarthy
    Art Shell

We definitely could have done worse.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I remember really wanting Sean Payton that year. But I had no idea Mike McCarthy was this good, he kind of came out of nowhere.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Anyone who says they were against the hire of Kubiak back then is lying. He was the right pick. Hometown boy who was very well regarded (look what happened to Shanahan after Kubiak left him). As K-Low_4_Prez said, his biggest problem is that he failed to evolve, over time or even within games. It was time for him to go, but I don't regret that he was here.

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I imagine a lot of coaches would come out of nowhere if they had Aaron Rodgers as their QB.

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This exactly. Kubiak was a homerun hire at the time, and he took us from the dumpster into respectability. He just couldn't take us from there to the next level.

13. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Why would Penn St hold a press conference saying he was leaving?

14. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

To announce his replacement.

15. Pokemon

Pokemon Member

16. MystikArkitect

They hold press conferences for new hires. Can't have a new hire without a vacancy.

17. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

That's what I was afraid of. I'll be bummed if they hold a press conference saying that they have made concessions in order to retain O'Brien.

18. Major

Major Member

Seems a little weird for the school to have a press conference before the job has been officially vacated. Normally, the coach takes the vacant job, announces that, and then the previous place fills the position or has a news conference announcing their plans/etc.

If they are announcing he's leaving, what do they say? "Hi, we want to announce that our current coach is leaving for an unspecified NFL job"?

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>And FWIW, there is NO Bill O'Brien press conference scheduled at this point.</p>&mdash; Travis Johnson (@bytravisjohnson) <a href="https://twitter.com/bytravisjohnson/statuses/418056821048627200">December 31, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>There is absolutely no reason to believe at this time that Bill O'Brien, <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23PennState&amp;src=hash">#PennState</a>, or the Houston Texans have scheduled a news conference.</p>&mdash; Greg Pickel (@GregPickel) <a href="https://twitter.com/GregPickel/statuses/418053470269108224">December 31, 2013</a></blockquote>