1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien earned his keep tonight

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 14, 2017.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Meh. He needs to make better 3rd down calls. Utilize his weapons more with play action pass.

2. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

It isn't like we were lighting up the league even while we had Duane Brown and others. Our offensive production has dipped each consecutive season under OB. We've been in the bottom 3rd of total offense (Yards and Points) the past two seasons, and we're on pace to do the same this season.

Patting the offensive coach for 13 points, 7 of which came on a broken play and 3 after a fumble recovery, is setting the bar low. No excuses.

roxallways likes this.
  3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The game plan was predictable but even then he missed opportunities. Foreman should have had 2/3 of the carries, that was completely inexplicable. There had to be more play action, particularly down the field when their safeties were blitzing the run. It was fine to have Watson only look at Hop on plays to cut down on reads but they had to make them pay for blitzing the run the way they burned the Cowboys with deep balls in David Carr's first game. The lack of play action was a real problem. They could even play action roll out right back to Ervin slipping out of the back field.

The bulk of all the scoring came on one play that was just Watson doing something special. I think maybe EddieWas... Asleep.

roxallways likes this.
  4. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Bro for god's sake give me a break, this team is mediocre at best, only reason why we won today because Cin is an abysmal team and their performance was an absolute ****, so don't give me that BS about BOB earning his stay and if you think we are or will be more prepared For NE this time they I would have to say either you are trolling or you just completely drunk.

only bright side out of this game is Watson, he was poised throughout the entire game and didn't commit too many mistakes more importantly didn't throw a single interception.

roxallways and tierre_brown like this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I agree with you more play action and more Foreman for sure.

As I said, O'Brien wasn't without his warts.

People are taking this as I'm saying this team is going to be great and O'Brien is going to be great. Others are thinking it should be been a blow out victory for the Texans. I never said we we're great or he was great, and how could it have been a blowout when we were missing what we were?

I'm just commending the guy for adapting the offense to the situation and winning the game. Adaptability is something he has been getting harassed for by many fans. He adapted to having no tight ends by playing an extra lineman, which helped give our rookie time, which helped his poise immensely. He adapted by giving him largely half-field reads in the fourth quarter, which helped him look like the college quarterback he was. Hell, he went spread/empty back field in the fourth, with a lead, which is something he'd never do. With a rookie quarterback.

Given that we dressed three receivers and one tight end (who was just brought up from the practice squad), I'd say our offense did just fine. We ended the game with only three corners, as well. Still won.

Let's face it, O'Brien made some lemonade tonight.

Like I said, I'm not saying he's a great coach, or he deserves to stay, I'm just saying that he coached well and displayed some good scheme tonight.

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Let's not overstate it, BOB just did his job and HC and OC.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The offense is actually worse than last year.

Good to see the defense looking dominant.

8. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Superbowl or bust?

9. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

What game were you watching? Horrible play calling until he started going I formation and that actually moved the ball. That moron thinks the OL is going to protect Watson......psshh whatever.

They need to can his ass.

roxallways likes this.
  10. marky :)

marky :) Member

Bench Miller?

He had a good 4th quarter where he had good yardage that ran the clock down. If anything they just need to keep splitting the touches like that and increasing Foreman's snaps a little more also.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

repeatedly running Lamar Miller at Geno Atkins and behind Sua Filo...

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Getting a win on the road as a 5.5 point underdog with an inaccurate rookie QB making his first start. I guess it's too much to ask to expect better responses than the typical low IQ, talk radio sports fan coach-bashing, OP.

Rashmon and Hank McDowell like this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Actually it didn't help much when he did that and he gave up on it for a good bit because of that.

The thing that helped a lot was using Jay Prosch. You might think "Prosch played the last game and it didn't matter" but in reality he didn't. He barely played at all in the first game and it showed.

Things I'll give Obrien credit for:
    1) His players play hard for him. You can't take that away from him no matter what. The Texans show up to play hard under OBrien. They didn't lack effort against Jax, they just got their ass kicked.
    2) He does learn from his mistakes most of the time. Against Jax he totally forgot that Foreman and Prosch were on the team. Against Cinci he was determined to use them and it made a HUGE difference.

Red.Glare, desihooper and TheFreak like this.
  14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

BoB's awesome offensive scheming got us really 6 points against a mediocre defense. I'm not giving BoB credit for the touchdown run.

the inaccurate QB making his first start is factored into the line and doing better than expectations doesn't make you great. It only makes you better than what people perceived you to be. People thought the Texans were extreme dog **** but last night they played like regular dog ****.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

All things are true:
    1) Jags are a good team when Bortles doesn't play piss poor football. They have a LOT of talent on that defense. They are very fast and physical.
    2) The Ravens are among the best defenses in the league
    3) The Texans offense is AWFUL. It was bad last year and it got worse this year because of worse line play.

We are going to fight for every win because we have a really bad offensive line, bad receivers outside of Hopkins and unimaginative play calling that doesn't use guys to their strengths. I don't think we will be the worst team in the league, but we can't go every year like this. The offense HAS to get better.

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

To Bill's defense, he is 19-0 when leading at half.

That ultra conservative second half comes with merit. I admit though, I was extremely frustrated with it as I felt Watson was being held back.

17. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

A blind squirrel finds a nut sometime. He had no tight ends, so using a bunch of crappy o lineman instead of just 5 was worth a shot. If you can't stop them, try to overwhelm them with traffic. If they're so busy jumping over our lineman on the ground, they'll be slowed to get to the QB. The D front 7 played much better, Kareem turned back the clock, and that was huge. Bill didn't do great, but didn't do as awful as he did on Sunday. So, he got better....slightly. Maybe 1% better.

justtxyank likes this.
  18. Malaya

Malaya Member

At least he's willing to admit his mistakes, like making Savage his starter, and do the necessary changes, even if he knows it makes him bad.

He's making the team after his own identity--tough gritty grind it out football. He played not to lose in the 2nd half. And it worked.

19. Fantasma Negro

[​IMG]
    #IB4tl

justtxyank likes this.
  20. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seth Payne probably said it best on the radio today, BO'B is a good head coach, but he's less than stellar as an OC. Wonder if McNair gets him an offensive Wade Phillips-type to overhaul the offense next year as a condition of a contract extension?!