1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Maher Hypothetical: If Trump Refuses to leave . . .What will you do?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Apr 7, 2020.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's this hubris and a lack of introspection where a belief that America is invulnerable that will eventually end its hegomony.

I'm sure at the peak of the British and Roman empire, its citizens believed that the status quo of their country being the global hegomonic power was ever lasting also.

Rocket River likes this.
  2. biina

biina Member

American institutions are so strong that the president can go after anyone (and their relatives) who he feels aggrieved for them testifying in his impeachment probe. They are so strong that the personal interests of the president 'trumps' the life of the citizens.

We now have the personal lawyer of the president conducting rogue investigations in a foreign country to dig up dirt on the president's political opponent, while the American institutions of DOJ and senate wait readily to process whatever dirt he digs up.

The institutions are only as sacred as the people that guard them, but we now have a situation where it is party over country for many and the judiciary has been politicized. You now have GOP members groveling at the feet of the same man they deemed unfit for office just a few years ago, all for the sake of remaining in power. But you expect those same people to sudenly become patriotic

Those 'shithole' countries you are so condescending to did not become like that overnight. They typically had bad leaders who went unchecked as they incrementally eroded the underpinnings of their systems, until what would have been unimaginable earlier, became the new norm. They gradually walked towards the edge before falling off the precipice. The US is getting ever closer to that edge

Patience, mdrowe00, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Bingo

Rocket River

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

[​IMG]

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Too all of you who buy Maher's BS ..... lets revisit this post election.

You can all eat crow then.

B@ffled likes this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I've said I would happily eat crow. What you need to take back is accusing a lot of us of watching MSNBC and CNN. I do neither. I don't watch Maher, ever, and don't even know what specifically he said. I do consume BBC, CSM, WSJ, etc. The info informing my take is a lot like @Nook's and that is to say it's ****ing empirical and staring us all in the face, as uncomfortable as that is.

I pray you are correct, again, and will gladly eat crow in December. Cheers and good health.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

I don't think anyone here is stating that it's the likely scenario. They are just saying it's a possiblity given Trump's rhetoric.

8. biina

biina Member

What crow?

Trump is already trying to find dirt on Biden and his being aided by the GOP. He is using same institutions you want to blindly put faith in to try and keep himself in power.

The only reason the Ukraine call got any traction was cos the Dems controlled Congress. If it was like the first half with a GOP congress, likely wouldnt have gotten a pip and instead Biden and/or his son would have likely been on the end of some DOJ/FBI investyigation (which might still happen).

The people have lost control over the politicians, and the politicians answer to their party not to the people. The parties are now more like noble families in a fuedal system.

Rocket River likes this.
  9. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

There is zero percent chance it happens. The question is hypothetical so nothing wrong with playing devil's advocate. The OP set it up so obviously there's no reason to take any response seriously. All in fun, in my view.

Rocket River likes this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Correct
    Hypothetical Crow

Rocket River

B@ffled likes this.
  11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Am I supposed to be dissapointed when Trump loses the election and leaves without issue? Glad "eat crow" if that's the case.

Look at who Trump is surrounded by along with who he is. Criminals, and political schemers. His closest confidants consist of Roger Stone and Steve Bannon. The most powerful person in Congress is Mitch McConnell. If you are not at least preparing for at least some dirty tricks, or just assuming the right wing courts will interpret laws in good faith without a partisanship angle, I think you are a fool.

I understand if Biden's camp doesn't want to come out and say it, but they would be complete idiots if they were not running mock scenarios for planning on what type of BS Trump and the Republicans will try if they lose. I think we have all learned that the President with enough support in Congress, and from FoxNews can bend ALOT of norms, and institutions. It's foolish to not prepare for what "could" technically happen.

But yes, everyone should know that of course... it is illegal for a president to stage a Coupe which is essentially what this would be. It cannot happen under the rule of law. Is there a legal way for this to happen... well I've brought up one hypothetical (contested election where House votes by state) but not sure even that can happen. One things for sure, I just want Biden's camp, the DNC, and Dems in Congress to have their Sh$t together and be prepared for complete chaos if (hopefully) Trump loses.

#91 dobro1229, Apr 10, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    RayRay10 and Rocket River like this.
  12. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

...and should there be any preparation for a scenario if Trump wins? Will there be rioting and civil unrest....violence?

I'm sure both sides will have their legal teams geared up. But I only see one side resorting to violence, based on the rhetoric I
    Most of the chaos would only happen if it's close and contested. And then it would be handled by the courts. A bigger concern should be if Trump wins, will there be violence?

13. fchowd0311

The problem with the Supreme Court is that it doesn't have an enforcement mechanism

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. biina

biina Member

Depends on how he wins.

There will likely be some foul play in some swing states, with DeSantis in Florida being one of the accomplices.

The wisconsin primary already gave a glimpse of how far the GOP (and enabling SCOTUS) is willing to go to remain in power. They will probably go farther when the stakes are higher in November.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Violence by who? People like me don’t even own guns. Black Lives Matter?

I do think Rage Against the Machine will have some crazy concerts though.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Are you conveniently forgetting Acorn? Oh, I’m sorry, I mean ... AKORNN!1?!!1!

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is quite interesting conversation.
    I have real fears about the manipulations and voter suppressions

I suspect this election will be even closer than the last one

Rocket River

Nook likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Bill Maher has been a douchebag for 20+ years. Politics has nothing to do with it.

Glad yall like him.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. fchowd0311

The dude was b****ing about rigged elections even after he won. Just losing the popular vote was enogu for him to declare the election rigged. What the **** do you think is going to happen if he loses?

You think he's going to write a cordial letter to Biden about how he hopes Biden succeeds because his success is the country's success?

You think Trump is that type of person? Even if he steps out he's not going to do what previous presidents do where they just chime in once a year or so. No, he's going to actively pander towards a market that will eat up that he deserved to win the election. It's **** like this that slowly erodes away our Constitutional Republic.

Nook and Rashmon like this.