1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Engram (Rocket Guy): "Players don't want to play for Rockets bc of Management."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JimmyJackson, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carroll_Dawson

2. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Like I said many times, Morey is a cut throat exec and it was a matter of time before it caught up with him.

3. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

I'm not buyin' it...

When has Bill Ingrim EVER been an inside source on the Rockets?

4. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

CD got Franchise, Yao Ming, TMAC.
    Those were top talents in the league. Those were the talents that kept Rockets relevant and profit for awhile.

What do we have now?
    Kevin Martin, Scola, Battier.
    1 total national TV broadcast in 2 seasons.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Becasue he allowed certain players to hit restricted free agency and used the leverage of restricted free agency rights to the team's advantage instead of, say, signing a player prematurely for more money than necessary?

Sure, among all the execs for all 30 teams, only Morey does this. Everyone else "takes care" of their players with early extensions and ****.

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Whoa. Wrong on all 4 counts.

CD did not become GM until 1996. He was a hell of an assistant coach, but was pretty terrible at assembling a true team of talent. He deserves credit for getting once-thought-of superstars Scottie Pippen and Steve Francis here, but other than that he was atrocious. I chuckle every time I think about the way he showed Mo Taylor clips of the championships to lure him here, as if Mo Taylor would be a franchise cornerstone.

Steve Patterson was responsible for a lot of our supporting cast in the championships, including drafting Horry, and finding Maxwell, Elie, Herrera, etc. He also hired Rudy T.

I'm actually not sure who was running things during '94/'95 during the Drexler trade. Maybe Les was making the calls? Also not sure who was in charge when Dream was drafted but it sure as hell wasn't CD.

7. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

I see your Cato and raise you a
    [​IMG]

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...I doubt there is any sort of real backlash on the horizon for players coming to Houston.

Honestly, the cut throat nature of holding out for the most possible money is a playbook that comes directly from the agents. The fact that Morey has turned that around and used it on agents(not players, let's be clear) is what pisses of agents. Bottom line - it cuts into the agent's cut. The fact is, the old way of doing business by teams taking huge risks, handing out boatloads of money and being tied to long contracts that don't equal the production they were signed for is over. The NBA can't sustain like that anymore and the new CBA will reflect that. Agents are going to find out pretty quickly that the way Morey is running his team like a real business and not just some old sports franchise is the new model - the new CBA will reinforce that.

9. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

T-mac Brought that upon himself(he was always hurt anyway), Carl Landry's case youve got to give something to receive something, Lowry and Scola got great pay days infact Lowry might be slightly over paid, Scola after he got his new contract he was sort of embarrased to say how good it was, the dude was happy and so was his agent I imagine. AB is upset but his case is still on the table and it will get resolved until the lets not jump the gun.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Once you have a franchise player, then you can afford to overpay for a solid supporting cast.

Until then, you need to maintain flexibility so you can make a move when an elite player becomes available.

11. Raven

Raven Member

It's a business, isn't that what players always say?

12. worzel gummidge

I once emailed him out of fun about Spanoulis and somehow I became a "Greek source" in his following article.

2 people like this.
  13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

nice, repped!

can you link to the article?

Do you still have the email?

14. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

The only way CD got stars is because they wanted to come here. When Cd was GM it was known around here as scrubville, tx.

15. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I see what you are saying, but the problem is not getting the guys who has played here to want to stay or come back. The problem is getting the stars to want to come here if they have never played for the Rockets. Once here the guys end up loving the organization, team and city, but you have to get them here first. I do believe Morey way of doing business has hurt that possibility.<p>It's about loyalty and taking care of your best players. Remember what D Wade said about Chicago (even though it may have been postering to get LBJ and Bosh to come to MIA) that they are not loyal for not taking care of their best players. These guys have egos and will stay away from any GM or management that will give them a hard time.

16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

CD got lucky with #1 (Yao) and Francis (who wouldn't sign with Vancover because it was too cold). Yao brought Tracy. You have to get lucky with that first domino sometimes. Better to be lucky than good in CD's case.

And remember he also got us Pippen, Maloney, Cato, Moochie, Rice, Mo Taylor, etc. Not complaining about the talent as much as the amount they got paid while wearing the Rocket PJs.

17. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Yea but look at how Morey did Laundry in leaking exaggerated reports regarding Laundrys injury history to devalue his trade interest. Morey also leaked false reports JVG wanted out of Houston when he never said that. It was algmost if he was being forced to resign. One thing is clear, Morey uses his media ties to his advantage. If you piss the organization off, you'll be sure to be slandered by the chronicle (ask Tmac)

18. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Wouldn't be a potential lockout if ALL teams weren't looking to cut back.

19. ApuN

ApuN Member

Morey brought in players to compliment Tmac and Yao

Period. That was the plan

Evidently you dont understand the financial restrictions he had to deal with because of those two's monster contracts

If Yao had been healty this year, this team would be in a different position and you wouldn't be yabbering about Morey

Its not his fault Tmac and Yao were injury prone

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You mean the better talent base that we spent a decade trying to get rid of to bring in real talent? You mean guys like Moochie Norris, David Wesley, Matt Maloney, Kelvin Cato, etc? You like that talent base better than guys like Aaron Brooks, Luis Scola, Kyle Lowry, etc?

Yeah, I sure do miss CD. Like I miss acne.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.