1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Cosby Blasts Black Parents...Again

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lil Pun, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

more so than i would like
    It is not so much what bill said. . . as much as how he says it
    and when. . .

Bill is a GIVE MILLIONS to spelman but
    don't walk the hood type [he may and i now know .. but this is
    my perseption]

He has been quite a bit more vocal since his son pass.
    [did they ever find his killer?]

NOW to address the issue
    Education is not AS PRIZED as i would like
    and alot of it is socialization
    not IMO cultural
    as someone state. . the phenom is in other cultures

as for the Wife beating thing . .. i was unaware that
    this was an overwhelming crisis in my community
    at a pace beyond the norm . .

ASIDE: 'acting white' is an issue for most minorities. . .it is considered a pretty hefty insult

[no offense to white folx. . but it is seen as a insult]
    Apple, Banana, coconut, oreo, Eskimo pie, Snowflake
    these are all term i've heard refer to this particular way of acting

Apple - Native Americans
    Banana - Asian Americans
    Coconuts - Hispanice
    the rest are African Americas [yea. . alot of words for it]

i would go into this more. . but i don't want to derail this thread too too much

but unfortunately the things ascribed to white folx are somethings
    that are helpful [there are others that don't help too]

Rocket River

2. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Doesn't Bill Cosby have a PhD? Could it be that education is important to him and it makes him genuinely angry and disturbed when he perceives things to be the way he perceives them?

3. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

It's time for 'Ask A Black Dude' with Paul Moony

edwardc and mdrowe00 like this.
  4. Party Boy

Party Boy Member

Yes, he has several honorary PhDs.

5. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

So is Jesse Jackson. Probably, most so called community leaders, black or white, have their own hidden closets.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I would say the acting white insult has more to do with things you like, the way you talk, etc. For example, some of my black friends who were college students used to say I acted white because I watched "Seinfeld".

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Hey, I watched the Bill Cosby Show and that show with Will Smith and that show with this Erkel (or however you spell his name) dude...looks like I was "acting black"! Oh, I forgot, I also watched Rush Hour 1 and 2, I must have been "acting black and yellow"!

What did you tell those guys? :confused:

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

He also had has the one they he actually received through his own educational work at UMass. His dissertation was titled "The Integration of Visual Media via Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids into the Elementary Schools Culminating as a Teacher Aid to Achieve Increased Learning."

pgabriel likes this.
  9. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

I agree with Cosby.

What he's essentially saying is, "self empowerment is key." Sure, there are boundaries and limitations in many black communities. He recognizes that. But he's trying to get people to stop blaming and start being pro-active in their lives.

It's a much more positive mind-set.

10. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

Nice try. He actually earned a PhD in education, I believe. Don't just assume.

11. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Pokemon!? Pokemon with the poke and the mon and the thing where the guy comes out of the thing, and he makes a fraaagh fr fra aagh aagh aagh!

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Its really no big deal, and to act like only black kids do that isn't true either. I addition to where I grew up, I also went to school with upper middle class white kids and they used to make fun of the fun the white guys who listened mainly to hip hop and wore baggy clothes or whatever. Its just young people being young people.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cosby just found guilty. So mamas, don't let your children grow up to be Cosbys :rolleyes:

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Interesting (i forgot). Some posts from pgabriel before he went solo and a bit off the rails.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I have changed in fourteen years but not much

One of my issues on Facebook is we have to emotionally detach ourselves from issues to solve problems. With some posters seemingly being racist I didn't want to concede black people had certain things that really needed to be changed.

Now I don't let that dictate my opinion. Cosby was right about this stuff. Im also sure he is guilty

On changing, im not ashamed to change over 14 years.

#35 pgabriel, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    AirPower, cml750, JuanValdez and 2 others like this.
  16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh, the pgabriel account has changed alright.

Rocket River, CometsWin and amaru like this.
  17. amaru

amaru Member

The last person who should be lecturing on morality is a serial rapist.

Cosby, and his supporters, are terrible human beings.

Rocket River likes this.
  18. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

A very interesting article.

"Many of the statistics cited in the speech were false, a slander on some of the most vulnerable people in the country, and Cosby seemed less concerned with black prosperity than with black respectability. It wasn’t simply that the black poor were not thriving in America; they were also embarrassing Cliff Huxtable, the dear sitcom doctor dad living in an expensive Brooklyn brownstone. They were not worthy of him. It was not yet clear that the man known as Bill Cosby was as much of a fictional character as the good doctor."

"In July 2015, a judge ruling on a request filed by the Associated Press decided to unseal 2005 depositions of Cosby from a lawsuit filed by Constand in which he acknowledged obtaining sedatives to use on women he wanted to “have sex” with. The judge, Eduardo C. Robreno, wrote that Cosby’s decision to present himself as a moral paragon had affected his decision about whether the documents were of public interest. “The stark contrast between Bill Cosby, the public moralist, and Bill Cosby, the subject of serious allegations concerning improper (and perhaps criminal) conduct, is a matter as to which the AP—and by extension the public —has a significant interest,” Robreno wrote.

Having “donned the mantle of public moralist and mounted the proverbial electronic or print soap box to volunteer his views on, among other things, childrearing, family life, education, and crime,” he wrote, Cosby had "voluntarily narrowed the zone of privacy that he is entitled to claim.'"

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Some of this Cosby stuff is still sad and unbelievable. Probably why the monster roamed around despite undeniable proof

Is meowgi still around? Who is he posting as now?

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

*Disclaimer* this post has nothing to do with my opinion on Cosby's comments

I don't think the opinions on poor blacks and the sexual assault have anything to do with each other. I think the sexual assault has to do with arrogance that is a negative side affect of his genius.

I believe he simply believes he can have anything he wants. He obviously had an incredible drive for success

On blacks and education, his life was dedicated to improving education.