1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Clinton: McCain is "great"; Obama is "not great"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Sep 29, 2008.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Methinks Bill's true beliefs are coming through....Obama isn't his guy

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/29/clinton-hesitant-to-call-obama-a-great-man-2/

Clinton hesitant to call Obama a 'great man'

Posted: 07:04 AM ET

From CNN's Emily Sherman and Kristi Keck

(CNN)– Former President Bill Clinton was hesitant to characterize Barack Obama as a "great man" Sunday, a phrase he had no qualms using last week to describe Obama's rival John McCain.

Clinton told NBC's Tom Brokaw that it was only earlier this month in Harlem that he and Obama had their "first conversation." He said he had spoken with Obama before, but only in passing.

Clinton then explained what he meant in characterizing McCain as a "great man."

"I think his greatness is that he keeps trying to come back to service without ever asking people to cut him any slack or feel sorry for him or any of that stuff because he was a POW," Clinton said of the Republican presidential nominee.

Clinton, who successfully ran his own 1992 presidential campaign on the now commonly used phrase "it's the economy, stupid," said that he believed the current economic crisis "left [Obama] in a position of leadership that he's now in."

Clinton said he thought Obama "saw and imagined" how the economic situation could develop.

"And I think that the rest of us should admire that. That's a big part of leadership, being able to sense, as well as see the future," he said.

Clinton said he and Obama are developing a "really good relationship," and the Democratic nominee has the potential for greatness. Explaining, he said Obama has many personal accomplishments, but none that exemplify his greatness to the country.

"When he becomes president, he'll be doing things for the American people and for the world and he is-and the greatness will then become apparent because of the good he'll do…That's what I very much believe is going to happen."

Some have questioned Bill Clinton's support for Obama following the protracted primary battle between the Illinois senator and Hillary Clinton. The former president praised Obama during his speech at the Democratic National Convention and declared Obama "ready to be president of the United States," as both sides tried to bring an end to the "Clinton-Obama rift" storyline.

Clinton himself was among the most outspoken critics of Obama's readiness during the primary season.

The reason it has taken him so long to hit the trail for Obama was the need for him to return to work on his foundation after the long primary season, Clinton explained Sunday.

He is expected to campaign for Obama in Florida, Ohio, northeast Pennsylvania, and Nevada after the Jewish holidays.

"I'm going to do my very best to do every single thing he asks me to do," Clinton said.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

republicans are "desperate" democrats are "not depserate"

3. mic

mic Contributing Member

As usual, the title is pretty misleading.

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

It’s become quite boring

It's really all republicans have left in this campaign. They can't support a candidate they don't believe in, or point to the last 8 years of republican accomplishments, so all they have left is to denigrate the opposition.

Case in point...

[​IMG]

5. danny317

danny317 Member

great article on obama. so i guess obama can count on clinton campaigning for him.

6. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Novel concept here guys, but you could *gasp* not feed the trolls.

Just an idea.