1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bike for less than 200$

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Jul 30, 2020.

1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

most bike shops are swamped right now and bike repairs are taking from 4-8 weeks.

and i would bet many bike shops would not be too interested in assembling a wal-mart/academy bike...some of those dudes can be snobby like that.

youre talking about buying a $200 bike and then spending money to have someone assemble it and then add upgrades...youre going to be pushing $400 when youre done and its still going to be a sub-par bike. stop being a cheap-ass and spend some money on a decent bike! :D:D:D

that one i suggested is $400 new and its a good bike for the money.

seriously though, the quality of stuff like the brakes, shifters, derailluers, pedals, chain, ect are what makes the bike and any new bike under $200 is going to be low-quailty in those departments.

someone suggested a pawn shop and thats actually a good idea. or craigslist.

#61 jo mama, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    STR8Thugg likes this.
  2. jo mama

im 6'3'' as well and ride a 22". its the right size for me. 18'' is going to be too short. you wont have a good time.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am mulling over all of that and there is nothing on craigslist in my area or even within 60 miles.

Sorry but being a cheap ass has done me well, I take in all info and go from there.

I am still considering the bike you mentioned just trying to see what I can get with an increased budget.

Also I keep getting Fuji adds everywhere, thanks for that.:D

#63 jiggyfly, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  4. jo mama

haha.

i get you and i dont mean to come off as being anti-cheap ass. not sure where you live, but if thats the best you can get or afford then it shouldn't stop you. but just know a bike in that price range wont hold up as long as a more expensive one. things will break/wear down quicker. shifters, brakes, tires, ect.

also, if you get a new bike in a bike shop it will already be tuned up and many shops offer 2-3 free tunes-ups with a new bike.

but in the end, if youre set on keeping it under $200 you should get something within your budget and go ride!

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am pretty much out on the 200 dollar bike, I am just shopping on what I can get if I raise my price point.

Fuji is on my list.

6. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

There is a guy on youtube he has a channel called KevCentral he reviews a lot of cheap Mountain Bikes. You might check him out and see if he gives a good review to something in your budget.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

here you go OP, in case you're still looking