1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bigmen rotation?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T-Mike, Jul 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. T-Mike

T-Mike Member

I was wondering what you guys think about our PF/ C in general.
    There is obviously no doubt that Anderson is logged for a starting spot. Then we have Beasley who really made a strong impact last season and who has probably even more adapted to NBA life again.
    So do we acutally need DMO?
    Assuming Capela ist playing center, DMO could be his backup even though Nene obviously wants to see minutes as well.

So in general it seems as if we have a pretty solid 5 man rotation here with Harrell trying to put pressure on the others.

So what you guys would be the rotation and who is seeing how many minutes?

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Well Dmo would make it a log jam if everybody was healthy, Beasley or Nene would be glued to the bench. I think it would be a smart move chemistry wise to trade or waive Beasley if we we're to match and intend to keep Dmo long term.

With Dmo

Anderson (30) / Dmo (18)
    Capela (23) / Nene (20) / Dmo (5)

Without Dmo

Anderson (30) / Beasley (18)
    Capela (26) / Nene (22)

3. OTMax

OTMax Member

Anderson 36 / D-Mo 12
    Capela 20 / Nene 15 / D-Mo 13

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Anderson 30
    Capela 30

Nene 18
    ?Beasley 18 or Ariza playing small ball 4? Dekker sneaking minutes at the 4? Harrell 5 minutes??

I dunno, not sure I would bother paying DMo more than the QO. He looked awful last year and not sure the back is back, and these things have a history of bad recovery.

Injuries happen and we would look pretty thin if Anderson or Capela went down.

5. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So what happens when you waive Beasley and then Dmo and/or Anderson goes down with injury (which will happen)? While we do have a stable of good PFs, none of them are what I would call reliable, either through an ability to stay on the court or consistent play. I would keep Dmo unless a deal in a S&T comes along that gives us a head & shoulders ungrade at another position.

6. mightybosstone

I like the rotation, but I like it a lot more if DMo re-signs. I don't trust Beasley yet, and both Anderson and Nene have missed a lot of games the last few seasons.

7. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Agree with TBN.

Ib4 someone posts Dekker for 20 minutes at the 4.

8. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Dekker can play 20 minutes at the 4

;)

9. hakeemthagreat

I trust Beasley more than DMo. DMo's proven to be injury prone and very soft playing against more physical bigmen. I don't know if DMo's going to be in the rotation until he learns how to rebound

10. mightybosstone

Beasley and DMo have the same career TRB% (11.5 percent), so I certainly don't see Beasley as a substantial upgrade on the glass. And as far as defense goes, I'd much rather have Motiejunas on that end of the floor than Beasley. He's historically been a better defender, and he provides more flexibility in that he can at least match up OK against some centers. Beasley can pretty much only handle 4s, and he does that poorly.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Rebounding is going to be a problem.

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

THIS.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not that big of a problem since opponents will probably be shooting at a high percentage.

1 person likes this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Excellent point! :grin:

15. basketballholic

Anderson and DMo are repetitive with slight variance in their games. DMo better defensively. Anderson better on the glass. If we could talk DMo into accepting the qualifying offer we could them turn Anderson into a great trade commodity come February. That would be the ideal because e would have DMo on such a small cap hold next summer. But if we can't talk him into the qualifying offer or some multi year deal at around $12-14 million or less annual salary, then I think we're better off to sign-and-trade him. And a sign-and-trade is the most likely conclusion here.

16. hakeemthagreat

LMAO.

DMo historically a better defender? That's hilarious. DMo's always been a soft one on one defender. It seems more clear by the day Dmo's valued higher here than any place on the planet. I know he's popular among clutchfans, but the obsession with him has succeeded his actual talent. Beasley is a better player and should be getting minutes over him. As far as PF:

Nene/Beasley/DMo or Harrell

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, do you even basketball bruh? Of course DMo is a better defender than Beasley, hell Harden is a better defender than Beasley. For whatever reason you feel like you have to defend that scrub but with Terry and Jones gone, Beasley is now the worst player on the Rockets roster according to RPM.

18. alethios

alethios Member

In MDA's 7 second offense, that's not even a concern.

19. alethios

alethios Member

You can probably count on Harrell to get a few minutes per game as well, depending on how MDA wants to use him. He's more than likely going to ride the pine and cheer for the most part or spend a majority of time with RGV, but he's better than Beasley on defense and brings some high energy.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The below rotation/minutes look about right to me.

And yeah, we could see Ariza/Dekker get some PF minutes in small ball.

One thing that does worry me though is defense at the PF position when the Rockets have to play LMA, ZBO and people of their ilk.