1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biggio Unhappy with Demotion

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by JunkyardDwg, May 30, 2007.

1. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/...t_id=1993148&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

HOUSTON -- Craig Biggio has been dropped in the batting order before, but having been through this already doesn't mean the proud second baseman has to like it.

To go from leadoff to sixth is undoubtedly a demotion for the club's all-time hits leader. Biggio's not happy about it and expressed as much prior to Tuesday's game, which marked his third consecutive start in his new spot in the order.

"It matters to me," Biggio said. "Do I like it? No. I hate it. I know some people here are happy that I'm out of there again. For me, I know I have to start swinging the bat better. Once I start swinging the bat better, I'll be back at the top of the order. It's something that I've got to fix, watch video and make it right."

Biggio, who was dropped to sixth late last season, was hitting .228 through Sunday's game and finished the road trip with two hits in 17 at-bats. He was hitting .207 in May, but doubled in his first at-bat Tuesday, marking his 2,973rd hit.

Manager Phil Garner spoke with Biggio while the team was in Arizona and informed the second baseman of his plans.

"He called me in the office and told me what he was doing," Biggio said. "He's the manager. If I was doing better, I wouldn't be hitting there. It's simple as that. He's just trying do whatever he can to get us going. I need to swing the bat better."

Mike Lamb batted leadoff both times that Biggio hit sixth on the road, and Morgan Ensberg was moved up to leadoff on Tuesday. Garner vowed to move Biggio back to the top of the order when he starts hitting better.

"When the hits start falling for him he'll go right back," Garner said. "I don't like him down there, either. I like him at the top of the lineup. That's where he's done best."

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He hates it because he's taking responsibility for why it's happened. This is why I love Biggio and why people who hate him are, in a word, r****ded.

3. Buck Turgidson

Yeah...the "I hate it" immediately followed by "I need to hit better".

And you can say what you want about MoBerg, and lord knows I have, but the dude is stand-up. Never blamed anybody but himself.

Contrast that with Burke....

4. msn

msn Member

Agreed.

Question: has Bidge lost any bat speed? There comes a point when one can't "fix it." Mechanics can't make up for poor bat speed or poor vision. Obviously, Biggio is more qualified than all of us put together to know when that point is, so I won't dare presume an opinion on it. But has anyone noticed a change in his bat speed?

5. Buck Turgidson

No question about it, has been that way for about 3 years.

He has had to completely sell-out to the fastball in order to hit it. His entire swing is geared toward getting started early enough to hit the fastball. This is why he is just about helpless against any breaking ball.

I have no idea why pitchers continue to throw him fastballs middle-in.

6. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Mr. Astro is a stand up guy. He knows why is was done and what he needs to do to fix it.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

His numbers indicate that he loses a bit of everything each year... but I've noticed that he's made a more concious effort to make contact and get base hits any way possible this year, instead of sacraficing the average completley and going for the Crawford-box HR from time-to-time (as he has done the last two years).

The chase for 3000 may just have something to do with that.

8. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Personal Responsibility

Biggio >>> Burke

9. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

well, you can't get 3000 hits if you're walking, which a lead-off man should be doing.

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

He should be unhappy...he's always been a fiery competitor and a stand up guy. However, he deserves it right now (I think he should be benched, even though he has always been my favorite 'Sto).

Props to Bidge for admitting it is indeed his poor hitting that caused it.

Here's hoping that he turns it around and at least hits in the .255-.270 range this season and gets that OBP up

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Screwed over

Burke >>> Biggio

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

He doesn't have to like and shouldn't as he's been stinking it up...I would hope there are more changes as something has to...

13. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Because God knows that one good half season and a well timed HR makes him entitled to so much more than the face of the franchise for the last 20 years.

Biggio will waltz into the Hall. Even at his age, he is hitting .230 or so.

Burke played well for half a season and was hitting .219 with Pence waiting in the wings.

Give me a break. Burke has to prove himself, and he isn't performing much better at Round Rock.

14. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

really? or did you just make that up off the top of your blinded homer head? burke was (is) hitting .238, playing completely out of position, through about 25 games, and promptly got sent down. biggio is hitting .230, and is never at risk of even being benched.

anybody who doesn't think that craig biggio single-handedly ruined chris burke's career is "r****ded" (nice class, rocketman95!).

you guys crack me up. that worthless pile of crap can do no wrong in your eyes. since he says "i need to hit better", that makes it ok for him to continue to play and suck and hurt our chances to win night in and night out. i mean, what a stand up guy! he isnt in total denial that he sucks! you're a true role model bidge!

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You, of all people, talking about class makes Rocketman95 laugh.

16. Blake

Ruined Chris Burke's career? Laughable!

Being demoted for part of ONE SEASON after hitting .238 is hardly having your CAREER ruined by another player. Just because our team is so bad that players get to play regularly despite hitting below .240 doesn't mean that players should get the opportunity to play at the major league level when they cannot reach that mark

I like Burke and hope that he gets another chance (he will), but he wasn't playing well at all and was not unfairly demoted...Bidge or no Bidge, stats don't lie.

Career over at 27 after one demotion. Hilarious!

17. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

how was he not unfairly demoted? biggio is playing worse than him and isnt even benched. do you think he should be sent down to round rock?

18. Blake

If he *burke* was playing better (yeah, I know that 20-something games is quick, but Loretta is the real reason he was sent down), then I would have a problem with it. Biggio shouldn't be sent down because of who he is, but he should be benched right now...3,000 or not.

I just think it's taking it a bit far saying that Burke has had his career ruined after being sent down for a while after playing very poorly. If he was such a hot commodity and a potential superstar, I'm sure we would have tried to trade him

He's still semi-young and deserves another shot. I bet it comes sooner rather than later. But if he was on any other team besides the Astros, where hitting under .250 is the norm these days, no one would complain about it

19. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Obviously the problem is that Biggio prior to JVG coming to Houston was a great hitter but JVG's grind it out defensive mindset has ruined Biggio's offense. Biggio is a hardworker and takes things on himself but obviously JVG's system is to blame since every year with JVG coaching you see Biggio's Offensive numbers decline.

;) ;) ;) :p

20. Blake

Perhaps Biggio would be playing better if JVG would develop younger players which would lead to Biggio having less wear and tear on his body :D